Nintendo no longer releasing NES/SNES games monthly

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Nintendo Switch Online subscribers used to get two (I think it was two) new NES games each month. According to Nintendo of Japan's page, that will no longer be the case after the library of SNES games have been added.
“[more games] will be added after launch, but those releases will not adhere to a regular schedule”
This means we'll still see new SNES titles on the Switch, but we wouldn't get them monthly like we did with the NES games.

How do you feel about this? Do you think Nintendo will add something else to NSO to make up for the lack of monthly releases?

Seems like this is their only plan for VC right now...bummer. At least they're free to people who like subscription services I guess. I personally can't stand monthly stuff.

I'm fine with it especially since there is a variety of games to try and for some complete. SNES games are longer anyways and maybe just as hard as NES ones so waiting wouldn't be an issue. Unless you're @Marc and want to play Earthbound. :giggle:

I think it's alright. Hope they add Super Star, though, I'd really like to play that.

Its fine, they have all the good nes games out and the SNES games they have out are enough for a while. However, I hope they release more than 3 games at a time if they don't do it monthly, otherwise it'll be a bit annoying. I hope they don't wait like 3 months between each release.

That's not too bad, I guess. I'm pretty happy with the overall nes/snes games available to the switch, anyway. My favorite of them is the Techmo Bowl. The only thing is, I kind of suck at it. Mario Kart and Super Mario bros. are pretty great games too.

It's a free addon to what is a pretty crap subscription. So the fact it's even there in the first place and will keep getting new games is good. I would hope that more gets added to the sub in general to make up for this, but I doubt there will be unless they add more items you have the pleasure of BUYING ontop of buying the sub.. (seriously, why do that..).

I don't see why they aren't able to add games monthly though, all they where doing was downloading ROMs off of the internet and throwing it onto the switch :')

I'm honestly surprised and not surprised they are ending this service so early. The American fanbase has hated the nes and switch games since launch pretty much. I didn't hate it at first but I got bored of it pretty quickly. I'm disappointed they didn't put earthbound in the snes games app. It was a missed opportunity. They put many underrated titles which I'm meh about but this caused many fans to be upset. I don't understand the point of releasing the same game but with a small thing changed. It just takes up space to be honest. With the Nes And snes games discontinued I'm both meh as well as curious as what Nintendo can do to replace this service since this was a driving point of the service when it first launched.

There used to be monthly additions?
I wish they still did that. There a ton of SNES and NES games that need to be included still.

Back