Nintendo Switch Australian Price (Poll included)

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date

Would you pay $469 AUD ($351 USD/288 GBP) for the Nintendo Switch, no games included?

• Yes, I honestly don't care; I just want my Switch.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, what the heck Nintendo??? Why the expensive pricing!?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I hope this will bring an ambassador program in like the 3DS.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Towns Folk
So the pre-order prices for the Nintendo Switch in Australia were announced shortly after the Switch presentation yesterday, which has turned out to be $469.99. Understandably some Australians have been annoyed with this pricing, pointing out that converting the $299.99 USD price gives $399.99 AUD, or ¥29,980 to roughly $331 AUD at the time of this post and don't see why the Switch is so expensive over here. Some fans have even been turned off buying the Nintendo Switch because of this ludicrous pricing.

What do you think? Are Aussies over-exaggerating on the price or does it seem too high given the comparison figures? Is the USD price similarly too high for you, or are you okay purchasing one for that? Answer above and put your comments down below.

Last edited:
So the pre-order prices for the Nintendo Switch in Australia were announced shortly after the Switch presentation yesterday, which has turned out to be $469.99. Understandably some Australians have been annoyed with this pricing, pointing out that converting the $299.99 USD price gives $399.99 AUD, or ¥29,980 to roughly $331 AUD and don't see why the Switch is so expensive over here. Some fans have even been turned off buying the Nintendo Switch because of this ludicrous pricing.

What do you think? Are Aussies over-exaggerating on the price or does it seem too high given the comparison figures? Is the USD price similarly too high for you, or are you okay purchasing one for that? Answer above and put your comments down below.

While Europe is also getting more expensive prices (ie. French retailers list it at 330€, while a quick $->€ conversion should give 281€ (time of this post)), I have to admit that I don't get why Nintendo is asking them so much. I mean, it's not news to anybody that Nintendo hates the PAL region with a passion, but here it's becoming nonsense, they could get it cheaper by importing it! To be honest, as an European, I still think Nintendo's Australian price for the Switch is over-exaggerated, especially if you factor in the fact that it's sold without games, and that you'll have to pay for online later.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Just buy an american version for cheaper. Since it's not region locked you should be fine. :) I was personally hoping the US price would be $250, but when they announced it was $300 i was still thinking about saving a bit longer to get it. When i found out that onlinemultiplayer was a paid for service, I was just like not anymore!

Just buy an american version for cheaper. Since it's not region locked you should be fine. :) I was personally hoping the US price would be $250, but when they announced it was $300 i was still thinking about saving a bit longer to get it. When i found out that onlinemultiplayer was a paid for service, I was just like not anymore!

It's not totally region-free though. The French Nintendo Switch twitter said that "most of the games" would be, meaning that not all Switch titles will be RF. It's basically going to be a 360/PS3-bis in terms of region locking (game makers choose whether they want to lock their games or not).

But seriously, if they don't do proper currency conversion, they're either going to lose customers (it already begun when they announced paid online services), or everybody will try to get American systems.

Back