Nintendo Switch v11 firmware update lets you send media to your smartphone

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Nintendo dropped a big update for the Nintendo Switch today:
Nintendo Switch Online was added to the HOME Menu.
  • Access all Nintendo Switch Online services, from getting the latest information to checking your membership status.
    *This feature is not available in some countries/regions.
A new feature that automatically downloads backed up save data was added to the Save Data Cloud.
  • When using software with the same Nintendo Account linked to multiple systems, save data backed up from one console will automatically be downloaded to your other system(s).
    *To use this feature, it must be enabled under System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud.
    *Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually.
    *A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the Save Data Cloud service.
A new Trending feature was added to the User Page.
  • Users can check what software their friends are playing or have started playing recently.
    Information will not be displayed for friends who have their online status set to display to no one.
Users can now transfer screenshots and videos from Album to their smart devices.
  • Users can wirelessly connect their smart devices to Nintendo Switch to transfer the screenshots and videos saved within their Album.
  • For screenshots, users can transfer a maximum of 10 screenshots and 1 video capture at once.
    *To connect, users must use their smart device to scan the QR Code displayed on the Nintendo Switch screen.
    *“QR Code” is a registered trademark of DENSO WAVE INCORPORATED.
A new Copy to a Computer via USB Connection feature was added under System Settings > Data Management > Manage Screenshots and Videos.
  • Users can use a USB cable to connect Nintendo Switch to their computers to copy the screenshots and videos saved under Album.
    * A USB charging cable [model HAC-010] or a USB-IF certified USB cable that supports data transfer is required to connect to a computer.
    * Connection via the Nintendo Switch dock is not supported. Please connect the Nintendo Switch system directly to the computer.
Users can now select what download to prioritize when there are multiple downloads in progress.
  • When there are multiple software, update data, or downloadable content downloads in progress, users can now select which they want to download first.
  • You can set this under Download Options by selecting the icon for the software you want to download first on the HOME Menu.
User icons were added.
  • 12 user icons that commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series were added.
Users can now name preset button mappings with the Change Button Mapping feature.
Brazilian Portuguese was added as a supported language.

• When users set their region to the Americas and their language to Português, the language used on the HOME Menu and in certain software will be displayed in Brazilian Portuguese.
Several issues were fixed, and usability and stability were improved.
I think the most notable feature for me is the ability to transfer screenshots and videos to smart devices. This would make it more convenient for people who don't use social media to collect their media.. and for people who don't want to take out their SD card each time.

What do you think about this v11 update? :eyes:

Reactions: Mizunil and 28142
Give us goddamned folders, PLEASE.... Nintendo really likes just making us hate the software eh? This also would have been a fantastic time to release themes, imagine dropping themes with a big mario 35 party!

Transfer over USB and to phones is pretty neat though. I'll be using the USB one often. There's more to screenshots and videos then sharing them constantly to 2 specific social media sites and I'm glad nintendo finally realised that. Better late then never tbh.

Idk, nintendo aint gonna be doing anything groundbreaking with the software, I've given up hope on that. It's been like, 3 years now and we still don't have a ton of basic features.

Reactions: Mizunil and Jisenku
I was gonna make a post about this

I'll just share it here!!

There are 12 new Super Mario icons from different games in the series! Can you guess which is which?
2020120109234300-CF99E5A89997DEB91E571D16DB468578.jpg
Here's the Switch Online section!
IMG_20201201_093523.jpg
(Sorry if it's sideways and a bit low quality, they didn't let me take a capture on this one :panda:)
But yeah you can download your backed up save data anytime! (with an internet connection of course)

You can also check out what games are trending among your friends! I don't know if my friends will let me show what they've been playing on the internet

And of course, about the smartphone sharing thing, it's very convenient! In fact, I used it to get the first picture! You can also hook up your PC to the Switch directly to access your pics! Interestingly, it uses a wifi connection and your phone connects to it! The Switch sends you a link and you download it from there! Neat!

Screenshot_20201201-093137.jpg

You can also name your button mapping presets different names! (thanks Amelia N.)

Brazilian Portugese is also now a language option! (thanks again Amelia N.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jisenku
Theres also a feature to see what game is the most popular among your friends. This update was pretty good but I still want themes. I dont understand why we still dont have themes.

Theres also a feature to see what game is the most popular among your friends. This update was pretty good but I still want themes. I dont understand why we still dont have themes.
Yeah, I know what you're playing @Deepak :eyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Deepak
Some cool features. Not really anything I’ve been wanting though. When I need screenshots elsewhere, I need them on my laptop, so no matter what there’s going to be an extra step to get them there easily. Not sure if I’m going to bother getting out a usb cable every time.

We still need themes. It’s bad enough Sony dropped them for this generation too. I don’t like this trend.

Cloud saves are cool, I guess. Not sure if I’ll ever need to use that feature, but good to know it’s there if catastrophe strikes.

So I just updated my switch and I have to say, it's pretty nice. I sent a picture to my phone and it looks really good. I can set a dope wallpaper for my phone with one of the pics. And the feature to see what game is trending among your friends isnt really useful. One thing that I found a bit interesting was the switch online app (the new one on the switch). It has a list of all nes and snes games with the exact dates they were released. I don't know why that was added but ok. And I found a weird thing in that too. On one of the games, there was a little cake icon. And when I clicked on it, it said "this game came out 13 years before you were born". That was so random but again, ok.

And I found a weird thing in that too. On one of the games, there was a little cake icon. And when I clicked on it, it said "this game came out 13 years before you were born". That was so random but again, ok.

That's a mario anniversary thing.

Using Private IP is the coolest thing EVER. I wish all consoles could do that, that way no app would need to be installed, and you can just get your stuff easily. Favorite feature by far in this update

Using Private IP is the coolest thing EVER. I wish all consoles could do that, that way no app would need to be installed, and you can just get your stuff easily. Favorite feature by far in this update

You know the 3ds did something similar, but it could be done with your pc :p Technically this is half a step back in a way.

You know the 3ds did something similar, but it could be done with your pc :p Technically this is half a step back in a way.
The 3DS required you to use a weird system with Windows PCs called Homegroup, exclusive to Windows 7, 8, & 10. This Private IP makes it so that any device can get onto it (Including PC), that's what I mean SkY ( :p I thought you knew this stuff lmao)

The 3DS required you to use a weird system with Windows PCs called Homegroup, exclusive to Windows 7, 8, & 10. This Private IP makes it so that any device can get onto it (Including PC), that's what I mean SkY ( :p I thought you knew this stuff lmao)

Homegroup is literally just, network sharing? I did it yesterday, granted windows disabled the needed feature for the 3ds system since it's unsecure so I had to go through switching all that on and off. But you just switch it on on the 3ds, turn on network discovery on your pc and there ya go it appears.

I also just went to go to the feature myself and see what it actually was about. It's not a private IP, it's a private WIFI. You scan a QR code on your switch and it gives you wifi network details to connect to. This means a lot of computers wont be able to connect to it without a wifi adapter, which a lot of people don't have. You can also only send things as a small group or individually, instead of just having access to all of them.

It was on the list of snes games. On "Earth defense force".

Homegroup is literally just, network sharing? I did it yesterday, granted windows disabled the needed feature for the 3ds system since it's unsecure so I had to go through switching all that on and off. But you just switch it on on the 3ds, turn on network discovery on your pc and there ya go it appears.

I also just went to go to the feature myself and see what it actually was about. It's not a private IP, it's a private WIFI. You scan a QR code on your switch and it gives you wifi network details to connect to. This means a lot of computers wont be able to connect to it without a wifi adapter, which a lot of people don't have. You can also only send things as a small group or individually, instead of just having access to all of them.
ok nevermind that kinda sucks

Reactions: 28142
ok nevermind that kinda sucks

Yeah I figured it wasn't just an IP port considering @Sunny_Meows' screenshot of it, the IP was just 192.168.0.1 without a port or a different number at the end. That IP is always reserved for the router or similar. The switch wouldn't be using that if it was still using the same network.

Yeah I figured it wasn't just an IP port considering @Sunny_Meows' screenshot of it, the IP was just 192.168.0.1 without a port or a different number at the end. That IP is always reserved for the router or similar. The switch wouldn't be using that if it was still using the same network.
Huh, my router IP is 192.168.1.1... I guess that's why I thought different.

Some cool features. Not really anything I’ve been wanting though. When I need screenshots elsewhere, I need them on my laptop, so no matter what there’s going to be an extra step to get them there easily. Not sure if I’m going to bother getting out a usb cable every time.

We still need themes. It’s bad enough Sony dropped them for this generation too. I don’t like this trend.

Cloud saves are cool, I guess. Not sure if I’ll ever need to use that feature, but good to know it’s there if catastrophe strikes.
Some clarification on the cloud saves: from my understanding, I think what they meant is that you can carry over progress from your account on a different system to your account on the main Switch. I think it's a convenience thing so that you can freely switch from one switch to another without affecting progress. Nintendo also says you have to download the save data manually the first time around too. Maybe it's so you can freely pick and choose which switches get their save data updated? Or maybe it's a confirmation thing or something. I'm not sure, sorry about that :panda:

Also fun fact: you can screenshot the transition phase of exiting the game to the home menu (preferably in light mode for visual clarity) and when you look at that screenshot, you can at least pretend to have themes :panda: sorry about that too
demomstration of what themes can look like: (Screenshot from May, sorry bout that)
2020051222174901-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Wait, does this reveal my IP Address?!?!
I better delete it!

Wait, does this reveal my IP Address?!?!
I better delete it!

That is a local IP, it's the exact same for everyone else :p If I go to that EXACT same IP, I get the page for my router settings.

That is a local IP, it's the exact same for everyone else :p If I go to that EXACT same IP, I get the page for my router settings.
Oh ok, thanks @Sky! I was worried I did something I wasn't supposed to :GWowoHehe:

Gamexplain made a vid on it. This is what i was talking about:

Back