Nintendo working on a new Switch model for the second half of 2019

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
According to The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is working on a new Nintendo Switch model aimed at launching in the second half of 2019. I'm not surprised considering the history of the DS and 3DS.

It also looks like Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software should be included in the upgrade.

What do you guys/gals think and want from this new upgraded Switch console? :eyes:

Something that makes the switch actually on par hardware-wise with the other current gen consoles. Preferably a design with a bit more thought put into it (Ability to charge in tabletop mode, kickstand not a thin flimsy bit of plastic ect).

Also, Nintendo needs to learn what the U in USB stands for.

Reactions: Duffy, xNo1Hatedx, Mikaya and 1 other person
I'm sure they would make the next iteration of Switch to be more powerful than the current one, so I think they could use the next Tegra hardware to get things done. And I heard from the same news that they might use better LCD screen to improve the battery life as well.

for me nothing is true until is confirmed oficially
it doesnt have to be a more powerfull switch( i think its too soon to do that unless it could be a add-on like the expansion pack that the nintendo 64 had ), i think its more possible it will be a "more portable and cheaper version" something like the 2ds, that removed some features to make it cheaper like the 3d

in the a "cheaper and more portable switch" they could easily remove the dock and maybe other features that maybe not everyone wants to pay for

Reactions: 28142
After reading into this a bit more, it's all just a rumor. And a large part of the rumor is Nintendo are only going to be changing the screen if it ever happens.

I think it will most likely be a 'mini' version of the Switch, Major upgrades do sound unlikely. Ninty are better off putting their efforts into a brand new console rather than one that's been out for a while. If it does end up with minor tweaks it'll increase the overall price and I think potential Switch buyers will go with the original (Unless they have cash to splash). xD

If this is true, they better up the resolution from 720p, otherwise I’ll spit in their faces. :eyes2:

I sure hope that they fix the kickstand (because right now it’s really, REALLY flimsy), and that they also fix up the screen. One thing also is that they had better fix the durability of Joy Cons for this new console. Mine broke like three days after I bought them. .-.

Overall, if the system had enough upgrades (and they’re good upgrades), I’ll consider buying the updated Nintendo Switch console.

inb4 NEW Nintendo Switch

things i would like to be upgraded:
the charger port won't on the bottom
maybe a bit better battery life
at least 2 kickstands
better storage
etc etc

I also hope they have a new dock design that works with both Switches. I don't have a problem with mine but I mean it would be better if we had a more compact dock that didn't risk bricking your Switch (that still happens right?)

So, according to this, Nintendo is gonna release an upgrade to the switch in 2019. There are so many red flags with this. The switch has only been out for 1 year, why are we already getting upgrades? This isn't iPhone, it's a console. Nobody cared about the New 2DS XL. Most people already had the New 3DS or the old version, they still work fine. There are still people who just bought switches. I will refuse to upgrade to this new switch thing unless the battery life isn't garbage, we can save stuff other than photos to microSD cards because saving to system memory is just stupid, mic support in more games, not just fortnite, and it is less fragile. I'm not spending another $300 on an upgrade, we spent enough buying games, the switch itself, and online service. What I hope that doesn't happen is that the original model of the switch cannot support games the newer model can, which is what happened when minecraft came out for 3DS. So, what's your thoughts on this? I think it's another cash grab, just like switch online service :T

So, according to this, Nintendo is gonna release an upgrade to the switch in 2019. There are so many red flags with this. The switch has only been out for 1 year, why are we already getting upgrades? This isn't iPhone, it's a console. Nobody cared about the New 2DS XL. Most people already had the New 3DS or the old version, they still work fine. There are still people who just bought switches. I will refuse to upgrade to this new switch thing unless the battery life isn't garbage, we can save stuff other than photos to microSD cards because saving to system memory is just stupid, mic support in more games, not just fortnite, and it is less fragile. I'm not spending another $300 on an upgrade, we spent enough buying games, the switch itself, and online service. What I hope that doesn't happen is that the original model of the switch cannot support games the newer model can, which is what happened when minecraft came out for 3DS. So, what's your thoughts on this? I think it's another cash grab, just like switch online service :T
I think the only thing I demand is that if they make a upgrade to the switch now, that they don’t make it have any exclusive games. If you want to make cool new ways to play, make cool new joycons, but don’t limit games to a new 300$ system

That is smart, releasing new models means more press which is needed considering the upcoming Ps5 and Xbox 720 (2020 is so close!). They definitely should pack in more powerful hardware, a better display (full hd), place the port at the top, and make the console more durable. I wouldn't even mind if 3rd parties exclusively released games for it, but knowing Nintendo I doubt this would occur on a widespread basis.

I'm definitely picking up one of the next/current gen consoles though, the Switch and the portable experiences are one thing but the graphical fidelity, better online, and a vast catalog of games in every category will bring up a whole different experience for me. Nintendo made itself clear, you buy their console for their exclusive games (occasional droughts), and all other games are played on Pc or an Xbox/Playstation.

Nintendo made itself clear, you buy their console for their exclusive games,
Or for portability? That isn’t a bad reason..

That would be really cool. Maybe it'll be like the Wii and Wii U. The Switch X or so something.

Back