Nintendo's laziness over the last few years(microrant??)

• Thread starter jona1003
  • Start date
jona1003

jona1003

The one with the legal n-word pass
Towns Folk
Is it just me or does Nintendo seem more lazy or simply more differently? Not only have they recently have been remaking games which fans "love" but not newer version. For example: we have the deluxe Mario games, the Pokémon remakes which are always good but sometimes lack something.

Most video games have been lacking something. I don't know precisely what but I simply have lost that nostalgic feeling on games. Sometimes you just pass a game to be waiting on something new to do. This coupled along with the fact that games have taken this lazy approach for money and sometimes having to wait a long time for content like in the newest Animal Crossing game. Why do we have to wait for certain content which in games of precious consoles where in right out the gate. I understand that sometimes production time can e pushed but still we payed for the game and sometimes we have to pay an extra 40 for some random dlc or pay 60 for a whole new game remastered with new content.

I feel like this has been the major factor for losing that certain interested in Nintendo as a whole. I love the company and the Ip's hel I even hunted down the golden Mario amiibo back in it's heyday. It just feels like video games are losing their magic recently.

Reactions: James, Jisenku, 28142 and 2 others
They seem to have shifted since the wii u era to be a lot more money hungry. The wii u had horrible game subscriptions, they refused to spend much money on 3rd parties, and in general just cut every corner possible.

Now with the switch, that's gotten so much worse. The online subscription (which as I've said many times, serves literally no practical function), a LOT more aggressive "FOMO" advertising and manipulation (cough cough mario's death on april 1st), and the main thing is that they've come to the full realisation that they'll get millions of sales regardless of what they do.

Lets take pokemon swsh for example (I know it's not first party, but second party is more than close enough and the game are a major selling point for the console). That game wouldn't have cost 'em much to make, they reused a ton, cut every corner, and generally released such a poor product. Not to mention as well that this was one of the first pokemon games to my knowledge where they really heavily pushed the "buy 2 of these exact same games because they have different names!!" thing. But, fanboys being fanboys, the games ended up being one of the best sellers on the console almost instantly after launch. Because of this you can wholeheartedly bet the next ones will be the exact same, if not worse, and yet the same thing will happen again.

Mario as well, they tested the FOMO marketing on 3d all stars (more on this game later), found out it was a major success, so they've continued the trend with other games. If people didn't buy into the manipulation then we'd all have an easier time with things collectively.

About 3d all stars as well, this game has severely annoyed me. The game is quite literally just an emulator with ROMs, nothing more. You know, the same emulators and ROMs that nintendo are so desperately trying to take down? It's the same with pretty much all of nintendo's emulators honestly. They use the same systems and sometimes even the same files that exactly what they're also taking down online. The resolution upscaling as well is AI based, it's something that takes basically no effort and isn't a proper "HD remake" at all.

Animal crossing you mentioned as well, and I have a bone to pick with this game. I adore the series, I even loved amiibo festival. But I can't get into new horizons. To me, they made it too much like their mobile game, added in a ton of useless stuff, and more importantly, they've been constantly trying to punish players by "fixing cheaters" despite not actually doing anything to them (which now I mention it, is just an incredibly common thing with nintendo..).

Your point about DLCs and expansions and stuff is just a product of a messed up gaming system. People have indulged companies with buying all their DLCs and expansions so now it's just a part of games. And yes, quite often these expensive expansions contain content which was cut from the base game, for example, pokemon in pokemon swsh. They literally admitted that the expansion was being made before the game was released, which is common with dlcs and expansions too. The only time I find this kinda stuff acceptable is if it's free (like terraria, stardew, etc), or if it's a very old game being given some new life with new content that wasn't thought of during original development. If I see a game already talking about season passes, DLCs and expansions around or before release, then nah, you've already lost any interest I had.

TLDR; people just need to stop enabling this kind of behaviour, it's not going to get better otherwise. Nintendo have learnt that they don't need to work hard on things if they're gonna get the same money regardless. I'm not saying you can't enjoy games from them, but maybe consider not pre-ordering, don't buy things on launch, and instead buy second hand since those don't add to the sales figures.

Reactions: James, Agentperson, Jisenku and 2 others
They seem to have shifted since the wii u era to be a lot more money hungry. The wii u had horrible game subscriptions, they refused to spend much money on 3rd parties, and in general just cut every corner possible.

Now with the switch, that's gotten so much worse. The online subscription (which as I've said many times, serves literally no practical function), a LOT more aggressive "FOMO" advertising and manipulation (cough cough mario's death on april 1st), and the main thing is that they've come to the full realisation that they'll get millions of sales regardless of what they do.

Lets take pokemon swsh for example (I know it's not first party, but second party is more than close enough and the game are a major selling point for the console). That game wouldn't have cost 'em much to make, they reused a ton, cut every corner, and generally released such a poor product. Not to mention as well that this was one of the first pokemon games to my knowledge where they really heavily pushed the "buy 2 of these exact same games because they have different names!!" thing. But, fanboys being fanboys, the games ended up being one of the best sellers on the console almost instantly after launch. Because of this you can wholeheartedly bet the next ones will be the exact same, if not worse, and yet the same thing will happen again.

Mario as well, they tested the FOMO marketing on 3d all stars (more on this game later), found out it was a major success, so they've continued the trend with other games. If people didn't buy into the manipulation then we'd all have an easier time with things collectively.

I completely agree with you!
About 3d all stars as well, this game has severely annoyed me. The game is quite literally just an emulator with ROMs, nothing more. You know, the same emulators and ROMs that nintendo are so desperately trying to take down? It's the same with pretty much all of nintendo's emulators honestly. They use the same systems and sometimes even the same files that exactly what they're also taking down online. The resolution upscaling as well is AI based, it's something that takes basically no effort and isn't a proper "HD remake" at all.

Animal crossing you mentioned as well, and I have a bone to pick with this game. I adore the series, I even loved amiibo festival. But I can't get into new horizons. To me, they made it too much like their mobile game, added in a ton of useless stuff, and more importantly, they've been constantly trying to punish players by "fixing cheaters" despite not actually doing anything to them (which now I mention it, is just an incredibly common thing with nintendo..).

Your point about DLCs and expansions and stuff is just a product of a messed up gaming system. People have indulged companies with buying all their DLCs and expansions so now it's just a part of games. And yes, quite often these expensive expansions contain content which was cut from the base game, for example, pokemon in pokemon swsh. They literally admitted that the expansion was being made before the game was released, which is common with dlcs and expansions too. The only time I find this kinda stuff acceptable is if it's free (like terraria, stardew, etc), or if it's a very old game being given some new life with new content that wasn't thought of during original development. If I see a game already talking about season passes, DLCs and expansions around or before release, then nah, you've already lost any interest I had.

TLDR; people just need to stop enabling this kind of behaviour, it's not going to get better otherwise. Nintendo have learnt that they don't need to work hard on things if they're gonna get the same money regardless. I'm not saying you can't enjoy games from them, but maybe consider not pre-ordering, don't buy things on launch, and instead buy second hand since those don't add to the sales figures.

I completely agree with you!

Reactions: 28142
Is it just me or does Nintendo seem more lazy or simply more differently? Not only have they recently have been remaking games which fans "love" but not newer version. For example: we have the deluxe Mario games, the Pokémon remakes which are always good but sometimes lack something.

Most video games have been lacking something. I don't know precisely what but I simply have lost that nostalgic feeling on games. Sometimes you just pass a game to be waiting on something new to do. This coupled along with the fact that games have taken this lazy approach for money and sometimes having to wait a long time for content like in the newest Animal Crossing game. Why do we have to wait for certain content which in games of precious consoles where in right out the gate. I understand that sometimes production time can e pushed but still we payed for the game and sometimes we have to pay an extra 40 for some random dlc or pay 60 for a whole new game remastered with new content.

I feel like this has been the major factor for losing that certain interested in Nintendo as a whole. I love the company and the Ip's hel I even hunted down the golden Mario amiibo back in it's heyday. It just feels like video games are losing their magic recently.
tbh, Nintendo isnt as bad nowadays, tho they can DEFINTELY improve a heck of a lot better. I love their system, the Nintendo Switch, and love how they adding so many new and old 3rd party games and indie games. What i hate tho is their subscription for online play (thank goodness Fortnite doesnt need NSO to play, unlike Xbox and PS). it just absolutely sucks. Why are they tryna copy Xbox and PS now? heck, why is every system or big gaming corp tryna charge us for online play? what i also hate, their 1st party games, Smash, Mario, Splatoons, why are they 60$ bucks? then an extra 20$ for online play? it just doesn't make sense. Then, Nintendo is making some weird and risky decisions, like releasing adult hentai games? isn't Nintendo a family company? that doesn't make sense to me. overall, its not bad, but their are some huge improvements that they can make.

Reactions: Mizunil
Yeah I agree, many games just feel like they're more of a cash-grab, whereas before the developers were actually super invested in the player experience and the quality of the game. I also think part of this is due to the upgrade in online technology.

For example, before once you bought a Pokémon game (or ACNH) it wasn't really possible/common, or was harder to get any more content. What you bought was fully loaded and it was all you got generally. But now, they can constantly add in new updates whenever they want, this allows them to release updates and gameplay over time like ACNH, or skip out completely on postgame and make dlc like in Sword and Shield.
About 3d all stars as well, this game has severely annoyed me. The game is quite literally just an emulator with ROMs, nothing more.
I still enjoy the games, but I find it crazy how they literally just ported and did nothing else. I haven't done much research on emulators, but I'm 90% sure there are emulators which have Mario 64 or Sunshine in better quality then the Switch.

quick edit: I also think that Pokémon is playing it super safe because of the sales drop for Black/White and Black2/White2. It felt like Gamefreak really put their all into those games, the pixel graphics actually used separate animations for certain Pokemon, a great storyline (imo) and even had FULL SEQUELS, not just a 3rd version. But since it didn't do well, Pokemon seems to have put less effort into the game yet they get more sales idk.

But still, I think Nintendo can redeem themselves. Good games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are still coming out, but lets hope they continue to try.

Reactions: Agentperson and 28142
I still enjoy the games, but I find it crazy how they literally just ported and did nothing else. I haven't done much research on emulators, but I'm 90% sure there are emulators which have Mario 64 or Sunshine in better quality then the Switch.

Considering iirc it was Galaxy(?) that had a glitch which also only exists in the Dolphin or another emulator, it's pretty much the same tbh. Nothing new or exciting. Though, computers can run it better, and not have any restrictions.

For example, before once you bought a Pokémon game (or ACNH) it wasn't really possible/common, or was harder to get any more content. What you bought was fully loaded and it was all you got generally. But now, they can constantly add in new updates whenever they want, this allows them to release updates and gameplay over time like ACNH, or skip out completely on postgame and make dlc like in Sword and Shield.

This doesn't really count when it comes to DLC/Expansions. Because most of the time, content is being cut from the base game and being put into these additional costs. New updates? Sure, that's fully welcome. Making people pay for content that should have been released with the base game? Nah man, that's not evolving and upgrading technology, imo it's a step backwards and only fuelled by money.

Reactions: Agentperson and Mizunil
Making people pay for content that should have been released with the base game? Nah man, that's not evolving and upgrading technology, imo it's a step backwards and only fuelled by money.
THISSS.
I agree ACNH is good, the content does for the most part feel like extra stuff. But Sword and Shield, I really think that at least one of those dlc packs should've been in the base game. It literally feels like paying for post game or the ability to get legendaries without online.

THISSS.
I agree ACNH is good, the content does for the most part feel like extra stuff. But Sword and Shield, I really think that at least one of those dlc packs should've been in the base game. It literally feels like paying for post game or the ability to get legendaries without online.

ACNH literally cut content out of the base game to then be added as updates constantly. What about people with limited access to internet? Having to always be using internet just to gain access to things that have always before now been in the base game?

And pokemon was just horrible. They lied about why they removed most of the national dex, only to put them behind a paywall which was their original plan all along. The expansions from what I've seen add pretty much nothing of value to the game overall, especially not for the price.

ACNH literally cut content out of the base game to then be added as updates constantly. What about people with limited access to internet? Having to always be using internet just to gain access to things that have always before now been in the base game?
Hmm I didn't take into consideration. I'm gonna agree with you and change my opinion. For people who don't have access to the internet it really is unfair that they can't try out the events, or get the new updates. Wow that's sad :/

...the Pokémon remakes which are always good but sometimes lack something.
To be fair, Pokémon is on GameFreak now, another issue entirely... Ugh

As for Animal Crossing, I believe part of that is their selfishness to prevent time travel, and the other part is to not delay it again.

Otherwise, it seems Nintendo has gotten really money hungry. I don't really mind, I will forever be (maybe stupidly) buying Nintendo stuff, but they've roused many complaints from people on it. Ridiculous pricing, products that don't go on sale, consistently faulty Joycons, etc.

consistently faulty Joycons

Don't forget that joycon drift is caused by cheap materials they chose specifically to cut corners and still refuse to put in the tiny bit more manufactoring costs to fix it..

Reactions: Kalleh
And people can fix it themselves but that voids their warranty. On top of the fact that they only fix Joycons for free because of lawsuits. o_O

Reactions: Mizunil
And people can fix it themselves but that voids their warranty. On top of the fact that they only fix Joycons for free because of lawsuits. o_O

Eh fixing it yourself is dead easy, and you can each yourself how to fix other parts so warrenty aint needed.

+ also joycon fixing for free was only for a very short time/in a tiny amount of places (just america basically).

It's kinda annoying when you can litterally play the same game on wii u with free online. The other thing is that the controllers drifting in like a years use. It's also very annoying.

I was dissapointed with Mario 3d allstars release cause it's just basically virtual console of 2 games excluding sunshine being on another system as virtual console and isn't a remaster at all which is kinda a let down. rip.

I mean we are getting new games. The worst they can do is have a game subscription service like Xbox or Playstation, and if you want to try out games there's still free demos and trials for more popular ones. Legends of Arceus could be good. Online servers are being updated or rumored to be updated. Splatoon 3 could be good. There's a lot of potential and even then it's because covid stopped most of it in it's tracks last year so we didn't see what was going on behind the scenes. At least its not being scalped or has less exclusives than the others.

Personally, I don't think they are being lazy with games. Their current games are selling great and so is the console why would they change? They are skimping out on certain quality standard that they usually don't. Joy Con drift still exists, 4 years later and 2 switch revisions later. Not acceptable, and not up to the old nintendo quality we knew to.

Back