No Man's Sky

• Thread starter 2205
  • Start date

Still annoyed...
Towns Folk
Is there anyone here playing it? I tried it a bit yesterday and I'm not sure I like it so far.

I spent most of my time looking for ressources instead of exploring. I've heard it is extremely slow to start, is it true?

That kinda game wouldn't fit on my laptop. (No windows Vista :()

I spent the first 2 hours of gameplay getting resources just to get my ship flying. After two or three days playing i had a decent ship/multitool/upgrades/recipes and could start doing whatever i felt like.
Reserve judgement for a bit, it feels different when you arent stuck in one place.

Reactions: Marc
I restarted my game from scratch actually, played 2-3 hours. It's quite repetitive, I'm not sure it's my thing...

Reactions: Marc
Fair enough, im not going to try and force it on you.

I know @Alex and @Icy play the game \o/ (not too sure about Icy, but if he doesn't, I know he's getting it).

I haven't played it or looked into it much, but I've been hearing mixed reviews about it (like how you're starting to dislike it, Sunny, huehuehue). It's not like Steam's user submitted reviews helped it either >.<

Based on what I've heard so far, even if I was considering picking it up, I'd have a change of heart :/

Let's just say that if I could get a refund on the PSN, I would. It's fun for the first few hours until you realise it's just the same thing over and over.

Apparently a game on Steam called Empyrion is similar to No Man's Sky but with more content, or so the reviews say, so I'll be looking at it soon.

Reactions: 2205 and Marc
A comment I saw on Metacritic:

I give this game some credit. For a game designer and lead programmer like myself, it's a fantastic demonstration of procedural generation. But its nothing more.. It's not a game, it's just a massive tech demo not really meant for game players. This should be a lesson to devs out there. It's fine to create a system like this to show off your mathematical prowess... But you need to take a page from games like Dwarf fortress. Just because your game is a technological marvel and a programming masterpiece doesn't excuse you from the actual GAMEPLAY side of development.

This game was made to impress developers and show what could be done, but I can't recommend for any gamer who isn't in the game design industry to buy it, because the time wasn't taken to make the game an enjoyable experience for them.

Fair enough, im not going to try and force it on you.
yes, you were right marc, i play the game :D

I'm never playing it due to how the devs mess everyone about with the MP part. They lost all my respect due to that. They failed to live up to the hype and the trailers didn't look that good honestly. The FOV is too small as well as not actually being what the devs promised it would be. I might buy it if it goes really, really cheaply on sale but even then I'd hesitate to buy it unless they seriously update it to have a lot more. They rushed to get it out and it failed in my opinion.

Huh. I've heard this was received terribly at its time of release, but apparently it's picked back up a little in popularity, supposedly the developers actually went and added content to the otherwise barren game.

I'd heard a lot of really bad things about this game. Not sure if it's worth picking up now, but even if so, any game that takes years to receive updates solely to make it playable is never going to do well. Most have likely forgotten about it by now and cast it aside as a total flop. Be honest, can it really be called anything other than that? If it failed on launch, no update years later is going to suddenly reinvigorate everyone's interest.

Doubtful that anyone still plays this game aside from the very small minority that thought to check for that new update. All your first impressions turned out to be right, it seems, the game is just as bad as you thought. Now it's better... years later after the original release. Is it worth checking out a second time? That's up for you to discover.

Back