Not all Nintendo Switch games will support cloud saves

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I'm confident Pokemon Switch will not support cloud saves. Someone mentioned how it could cause people trying to clone their Pokemon and whatnot to send others over trade and then restore their old save to re-gain their traded Pokemon. Over the years, we learned that Game Freak and The Pokemon Company are no fans of such things.

According to Nintendo of Japan's official site, some games will not support the feature.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/onlineservice/index.html
Nintendo said:
We will store save data in the main body via the Internet. Data can be prevented from being lost even in the event of a failure. (Except for some software)
This was translated with Google Translate.

What do you think?

I was thinking that it may have to do with certain Switch games that have a save file as huge as 5 GB, because I was wondering on how Nintendo will deal with these huge files. And come to think of it, some of the 3DS games like Pokémon and Team Kirby Clash DX have no support of save backups too, so this is nothing new in a way.

I wish this was the case for some virtual console games. (As in save states, Because they cause the same problem cloud saves can) sometimes you really need to not have that option to fully enjoy a game.

That’s interesting that not all games will support it but I don’t think taking it away from Pokémon will change much. As much as I hate to admit it, the toxicity of hacking in the Pokémon series is so strong, it can’t be defeated atm. Switch doesn’t have a reliable way to hombrew yet but hack transferring is always an option for those dirty players. Having a hack check system in place would be nice but as we seen with Pkhex, any hacker that knows what they’re doing can bypass the game’s built in hack check. I want GF to figure a solution to this but I don’t think getting rid of cloud saves will do it...

I was just gonna say the only games I'd really want to have to support this feature would be Pokémon and Fire Emblem and any game made by Sakurai with a lot of challenges in it like Smash and Kid Icarus Uprising. With Pokémon if it's not supported you can just use Smogon to save your mons and build them back or use a hacking program and save all the ones in your boxes. The other games are likely to support cloud saves though so I wouldn't worry about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found out that all Switch games will default cloud saves to "enabled" (assuming the game is supported).

Back