Note taking style?

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I think we all agree that notes are vital to our learning. Some teacher have handout notes while others make you write down your own notes. How do you write your own notes? Do you just write ideas and concepts down randomly on the paper or do you follow a certain style?

I like using the Cornell Notes system. It neatly organizes ideas and concepts with the details that goes with them. Plus you can put anything you want, like quotes, equations, diagrams, and even pictures so they can work for just about any class!

Reactions: 3823
It actually depends on the subject and how much I enjoy it.
Also, since I'm in an engineering career with a decent amount of programming, a lot of the study is made via practicing.
If it's a subject I really like, I'll naturally practice and experiment by my own so I just take notes of the most important stuff. I also rely on reading internet documentation (for programming) and on internet and books (for maths and science).
If it's a subject I like but not that much, I'll probably take notes of most of the things and read from my notes for the exam.
In any other case, I'll use the notes of my friends who take more notes that me. <- Totally legit, passed more exams than you would think that way

EDIT: I'm also really unorganized so I just write down whatever I think could be useful not following a deliberately thought pattern and somehow I understand it later

Reactions: 3823
Honestly, when it comes to taking notes... I don't take notes xD

Reactions: J9794
I write down keyboards and I try to just write what I need. Simple sentences.

Cornell Notes and maybe some tables if needed. My notes are so sloppy, that scribbling in random directions would look better than what I write. xD

Like with @J9794, with me being in an engineering course, and more notably biology/medicine related, there is a vast majority of the work that is mainly practical. Using an already defined note-taking system is usually fine, but in order to write notes in order to do practical work/study, you kinda have to find your own way that suits you. This kinda sucks in one way, because my drawing skills are terrible, so diagrams and mind maps are almost nearly out of the question unless I take my time with it.

With the more theoretical stuff, I don't think I follow any structured note taking system, I just take down notes that aren't obvious progressions from common sense and draw attention bits that are more important/need further study. I usually write a review page of all my classes after each week to make sure I understand the material, although after about Week 4 of this semester I got lazy and stopped doing that >.<

Reactions: J9794
Back