O-Powers

• Thread starter Mr. Kream
  • Start date
Mr. Kream

Mr. Kream

Will Mod Your Soul
Forum Moderator
I hadn't really ever attempted to use them before now, as I kinda quit in fifth gen when they were introduced, and upon learning that there are powers "S" and "Max" and powers that reduce the same boosts in the opposite direction minutes ago, I realized that I had no idea how they worked, what's necessary to make them power up, or the multipliers they apply at each level, which is what I'm most interested in.

If anyone knows of a thread that explains O-Powers and their mathematics in detail, I'd like to know about it, care to share?

I can give you a generic rundown as to what they are:

O Powers are basically small % boosts to certain attributes in the game which lasts for about 3 minutes. There are O Powers that are oriented towards certain stats (applied immediately in Overworld Battles), or other things such as capture ratio or hatching rate. O Powers can either be used on yourself or shared with a friend or passerby. The continuous usage/sharing of O Powers will cause it to level up, increasing the effect of it.

List of all O Powers in Gen VI:
  • Hatching Power
  • Bargain Power
  • Prize Money Power
  • Exp Point Power
  • Capture Power
  • Encounter Power
  • Stealth Power
  • HP Restoring Power
  • PP Restoring Power
  • Full Recovery Power
  • Befriending Power
  • Attack Power
  • Defense Power
  • Sp. Atk Power
  • Sp. Def Power
  • Speed Power
  • Critical Power
  • Accuracy Power
I think most of these are pretty self explanatory by name.
There is a limit to how many O Powers you can use at once, and in order to regenerate, you have to take steps in game. The more steps you take, the faster you regenerate O Powers.

If you want to see the math involved, check the Bulbapedia page here

Hope this helps~

Reactions: Mr. Kream
Oh, speaking of sharing, I think O-Powers (with exception of Encounter and Stealth Power) can still be shared to your friends even if you gave one to yourself, once you connected to the internet or even having your friend's 3DS nearby. Usually it's notified when they saw your avvy in PSS glow in color. Your friends can get the power if they wanted to by using Receive O-Power option, so you can still share O-Powers even though you gave it to yourself. Naturally, this is probably why it's costing more if you used O-Powers by yourself than by sharing one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Kream
Don't worry about leveling up all of them. The only ones you really need are hatching, prize money, exp, bargin, and befriending. All others are useless after the story (though you might still get a little use out of capture). It takes 2000 steps to get the regen rate on o energy(?) to increase, which is a bit much, so don't worry about that too much.

sometimes before i put my game away I give Opowers to passersby just to be nice and level them up.

Thanks guys, @N, that's exactly what I wanted and @Starry Windy, thanks I didn't know I could receive them this was, it works well.

I like the O-Powers inclusion. The only ones I've ever used were the Encounter power, for shiny hunting, and the befriending power so I could complete my pokedex. Whenever I see other friends online in Pokemon X I usually give and receive O-Powers like the HP restoring power. I also thought it was neat that you had to find the person who gives you the O-Powers and they weren't given to you already.

Encounter Power affects the shiny rate?

It just means the rng rolls more often. In a way, I guess that does increase shiny rate.

Encounter Power affects the shiny rate?
More encounters = More chance of shiny no?

There are some times where I'll take lots of steps in a day so I can get fast-regenerating O-Powers. The maximum you can speed it up is four times as fast as normal (accomplished by taking 4,000 steps) And pretty much guarantees you won't run out. Of course, being a shiny breeder, I don't really use any O-Powers but Hatching and the occasional Exp. Boost, so 3,000 steps (3 times as fast as normal) is enough for me to not run out. You should try it if you think a lot needs to be done in one day.

Oh wait, did you all mean physical steps, outside the game, in the real world?

Yes.

Well then... I've had that horribly misconstrued, lol...

Back