Original Nintendo Switch model got a new battery life-enhancing revision!

• Thread starter Starry Windy
  • Start date
Starry Windy

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Towns Folk
Nintendo has just announced that the original Switch model with enhanced battery life is on the way soon! The new Switch model HAC-001(-01) will boast 4.5-9 hours of playing the games in portable, compared to 3-7 hours in Switch Lite and 2.5-6 hours in original Switch. This new upgraded Switch model will be coming in late August.

What do you think? Do you feel satisfied with current Switch model, or are you considering to well, switch, to the newer one (or even Switch Lite)? Discuss away!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samster and Marc
I think the Switch already had a long battery life to begin with and I've rarely had troubles with it when playing in handheld mode. I can see no problems with it if you charged it while you are eating for example, but if you take it wherever you go (even then you can take the AC adapter with you) or forget to charge it it's always a nice quality of life change to have a longer battery life.

I think the Switch already had a long battery life to begin with
Depends on the game you're playing tbh.

The switch has a terrible battery life. I play handheld/tabletop only, and it's literally the main reason I still don't play it often. Every couple hours I have to stop playing and wait like 4h for it to charge.

SMO clocks the battery life at just under 2h, it's really not enough time to do a lot of things. And if you're pushing it's limits like I've been trying to do for speedrunning, it's even less.

Splat2 gets it at about 2.5ish hours, but that's pretty heavily dependant on length of games and such. BOTW was about 2h.

Games like diablo 3, sushi striker, etc all have about 3-4h battery life for them. Still dreadful though.

It's incredibly clear that the focus went onto the docking part of the switch and the handheld part was left to suffer.

EDIT: To clarify - it's a new processor, not a new battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samster
Like with the new 3ds I likely won’t get the newest switch until my old one goes bad

I'm happy that it's not a big improvement. My switch's battery life is good enough for me, but a big upgrade (something other than battery life) could've been a bummer because I have the older one...

Odd not to announce this with the Lite. Hopefully this model's joycons won't drift.

Good thing there’s better battery life, because besides the Joy-Con drifting issue and terrible graphics on some games, I think that might’ve been one of the biggest complaints. I probably won’t buy it, considering if I ever play my Switch at all anymore, I always play it docked. But I guess it’s always good to have options, right? :p

Back