Playing Wii games on Wii U

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
Mikaya

Mikaya

úwù
Towns Folk
what are you views on this? I guess if you already have a Wii as well as a Wii U, it's not so bad. I think it would've been good if it could play Wii games, personally...

That's crazy, I could of sworn I saw the Wii U advertised as able to play wii games. I think it's kind of crazy that it can't play wii games, it kind of takes away from the Wii U; it's not that different from the Wii and plus the Wii U is still a relatively new console.

I just searched online and you actually can. Wow, I was under the impression that it couldn't. xD

You can play Wii games on the Wii U GamePad's screen thanks to the latest Wii U System Update. It means that Wii U owners will be able to play Wii games on the controller as another person watches TV. However, you won't be able to control the games using the Wii U controller as you still have to use the Nunchuck and Wii Remote.

Taken from Official Nintendo Magazine.

well errr....you have to use the game pad to screen it, but still have to use the Wii mote and nunchuk to actually control and play.

well errr....you have to use the game pad to screen it, but still have to use the Wii mote and nunchuk to actually control and play.

I was quite happy, then I re-read it. Dang. One of the biggest appeals of the Wii U is to play both current-gen games and Wii games, and it'd be great if I could just play using a controller I like. Either the gamepad or pro controller would be quite good - I wouldn't like to use that Wii Classic Controller though, I have one, and don't like it too much to be honest. I'm assuming Nintendo can still release a system update that can allow you to use one of the new Wii U controllers though, so I'm still optimistic.

That's the thing I don't like - the controller situation. That's why I haven't transferred my Wii data to my Wii U, and probably will not. I like to play Mario Kart and Smash with the Gamecube controller. :<

I like being able to play Wii games on the Wii U. I played Super Smash Bros. Brawl with my friend today using the Wii U's Wii Mode, actually. The only thing I don't like is that the Wii U doesn't have Nintendo GameCube controller ports, which means I have to use the Wii Remote to play games that I would usually play with a Nintendo GameCube controller. o_O

You can play Wii games as you found out, maybe you were thinking of Gamecube games not playable? But I never got a Wii so I look forward to playing the titles on Wii U.

I like the backwards compatibility, since I have some Wii games I'd still like to play. It's especially cool that you can play games on the Gamepad but I guess you'd still need to use the Wii Mote + Sensor Bar (I'm not a huge fan of the controller).

It may seem quite confusing at first but people will catch on. If only they could make it more user friendly to play wii games on the wii u. It would have been a shame for them not to allow us to play Wii games on the Wii U

Um.

You already corrected yourself, but the Wii U CAN play Wii games. You can play them on the GamePad screen with a Wiimote or just on the TV as you normally would.

Although it isn't confirmed, there's a good chance the GameCube controller coming out with Super Smash Bros. this year will be able to play any Wii games that had Classic Controller/GameCube Controller support.

____________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't personally played any Wii games on my Wii U except I played a bit of Galaxy when the GamePad screen support was added just to test it out (still a silly addition, especially because Nintendo had been teasing the update for almost a year and all it ended up being was this) but ye.

The end.

Reactions: Kaynil
That's the thing I don't like - the controller situation. That's why I haven't transferred my Wii data to my Wii U, and probably will not. I like to play Mario Kart and Smash with the Gamecube controller. :<
There is an add-on coming out around the same time as SSB for use of gamecube controllers.

Seeing as the GC controller add-on is on its way, I'm looking forward to transfering my Wii collection to the WiiU. I hear the U even gives the regular Wii games a better picture quality? Might just be a myth, but I sure hope it does!

I actually play some Wii games that I have solely on the Wii U,because I have a Wii from Europe,and my Wii U is American,and there are some games that I still wanted to play before the Wii gets pushed away from the market by its successor,and when I ask my parents from Europe to send me a game,it usually takes 1 month or more to arrive at my mailbox,so yeah,sometimes,I do play Wii games on Wii U,and currently,I play 8 games on it out of 22 other games.

to me it's the same thing except in wii u got those channels before online service went out. the gaphics on wii mode gamepad is better :) thats my take on it i still have wii games like naruto :cool: :)

Yeah you can, the wii u has a chanel in which it states Wii, if go insert a wii disc in your wii u, you then have to go to this chanel and launch the game. I think it is quite good if you don't have a wii system already. I have both systems and I will use them separately, this is just a matter of saving internal space for other downloads hahahh

Even though I still have my Wii, I am actually glad that the Wii U is backwards compatible. I have never used the Wii channel on the Wii U, but I think that it maybe makes the Wii games look clearer. Although, the only bad thing is that the Gamepad gets turned off. That is bad since I expected to play on the Gamepad's screen.

Back