PlayStation 5 Specs Revealed

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I think today, Sony revealed the specs of its upcoming PlayStation 5 console:

CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
External Storage: USB HDD Support
Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

If you want to compare it to the Xbox Series X:

ETZ9252U0AE5B4t

What do you think?

Reactions: Jisenku and Yumi Chi
Why the custom 825GB SSD? Just why?

Also, it looks like Xbox is more powerful, which does surprise me since I would think Sony would go all out to get better support for PSVR V2. I'm excited to see when this is going to come out, and how much it's going to cost.

I won't be able to afford it if it was $500 anyways, lol

If Xbox One X was any indication, it doesn’t really matter who’s system is more powerful. It matters who has the better exclusives, and the games I liked this generation were all on PlayStation. Not even a fanboy, that’s just how it’s ended up.

Reactions: Jisenku
If Xbox One X was any indication, it doesn’t really matter who’s system is more powerful. It matters who has the better exclusives, and the games I liked this generation were all on PlayStation. Not even a fanboy, that’s just how it’s ended up.
That's true, but that being said I'm pretty optimistic on Xbox. Their game pass is just virtually unbeatable, and if the price between consoles are similar Xbox may have a pretty big head start compared to Sony.

The games point is very true, which is why Sony is definitely in a stronger position but the value proposition with Xbox along with potential future exclusives might give it the edge. If anything, if Halo Infinite turns out great Sony will be in a poor position, but if it turns out horribly it's anyone's game.

I don’t use these systems but dang these seem more powerful them my laptop o.o
do the games really need this power?
I come from pretty much only a Nintendo games I don’t need fancy graphics ..

Reactions: Jisenku
True, but other people really want the crazy specs. I mean, yeah... they just really want the power. Playstation 4 has PSVR as well, so it does need good specs in order to a good competitor in the VR market as well. Xbox might also decide to get into the VR market, you never know what they might plan that will use all of the power of their consoles (also this is my #500 post... hee hee)

Reactions: Yumi Chi
True, but other people really want the crazy specs. I mean, yeah... they just really want the power. Playstation 4 has PSVR as well, so it does need good specs in order to a good competitor in the VR market as well. Xbox might also decide to get into the VR market, you never know what they might plan that will use all of the power of their consoles (also this is my #500 post... hee hee)
Thanks don’t know much about Sony & Xbox, I’m slowly learning with Sony I just got a free PS3 from a friend who is moving & the thing was having issues & sense I fixed it I got to keep it, but I only use it for little big planet 3 little big planet karting & Sims 3 still figuring out what else it can do lol but yea vr takes a lot of power o.o don’t think this one does VR

Reactions: Jisenku and Kamehameha
Thanks don’t know much about Sony & Xbox, I’m slowly learning with Sony I just got a free PS3 from a friend who is moving & the thing was having issues & sense I fixed it I got to keep it, but I only use it for little big planet 3 little big planet karting & Sims 3 still figuring out what else it can do lol but yea vr takes a lot of power o.o don’t think this one does VR

Nope, PS3 doesn’t have VR.

On topic: That SSD is going to be a beast and is going to close the gap between Series X. Even though the Series X may be more powerful, the PS5 has the potential to to load games quicker and run them smoother than the Series X, which would really negate any difference in graphical prowess.

That being said, Microsoft will never win a console generation unless they can somehow garner more global support. Sony caught up to the 360 and surpassed it in sales despite releasing later and despite Sony absolutely botching the PS3 launch. They then wiped the floor with Microsoft at the E3 fully introducing the systems and never looked back. They really brought the games this gen, too.

That being said, I bought a One X and have become a big fan of the Xbox. I own all three consoles and the Switch is my favorite, but I really do love my One X and Game Pass and backwards compatibility. If Square comes out and says that the rest of the FF7 Remake parts will be released simultaneously on Xbox Series X as well as PS5, that will be enough to sway me into getting a Series X and essentially leaving Sony behind. I don’t want to buy both consoles next gen.

lmao TFLOPs is such a stupid unit of measurement. Idk why consoles still do it.

Yes! It's also not just all about the graphics. Games can have a ton more going on than just what you see. If an innovative game has a lot of processing needed in the back end, say it has an advanced AI in it or something, then that might need some more power then even a super good looking game graphics wise. It's more about being able to reach new heights with what can be done with games, rather than keep restricting them.

Things like the IO and storage stuff does need to get better and better though to give a better experience for the end-user.

lmao TFLOPs is such a stupid unit of measurement. Idk why consoles still do it.

Yes! It's also not just all about the graphics. Games can have a ton more going on than just what you see. If an innovative game has a lot of processing needed in the back end, say it has an advanced AI in it or something, then that might need some more power then even a super good looking game graphics wise. It's more about being able to reach new heights with what can be done with games, rather than keep restricting them.

Things like the IO and storage stuff does need to get better and better though to give a better experience for the end-user.
The teraflops things makes it super easy for the average consumer to interpret, along with ghz or saying console x is % times higher in power compared to the previous one. That in itself doesn't mean much, but for a casual it does work.

I'd say ray tracing, faster loading, more beautiful worlds, better AI all ensure that gaming continues to become objectively more enjoyable for all genres, which is important for companies and of course the end consumer. These are all issues that continue to be solved each generation, the power is absolutely necessary. Nintendo does their own thing with their exclusives which is why they are great purchases, but if you don't have either of the consoles or a high end pc you are definitely going to miss out on huge improvements.

The teraflops things makes it super easy for the average consumer to interpret, along with ghz or saying console x is % times higher in power compared to the previous one. That in itself doesn't mean much, but for a casual it does work.

If you ask the average consumer what teraflops are, I doubt many would be able to give you the answer lmao. It's just another number, you could just say "2" without context, then for another console just say "4" people will just see it's a higher number and instantly like that more lmao

If you ask the average consumer what teraflops are, I doubt many would be able to give you the answer lmao. It's just another number, you could just say "2" without context, then for another console just say "4" people will just see it's a higher number and instantly like that more lmao
I'm not the most technical person either and hearing higher numbers will probably make me buy a console over outlining a specific feature or looking deeper into the specifications that don't deal with numbers. Just like with a laptop, buying a i7 over an i5 even though the i5 could be much more powerful depending on the model. Of course this is assuming the person is only looking at the specs and not the games :D

I'm not the most technical person either and hearing higher numbers will probably make me buy a console over outlining a specific feature or looking deeper into the specifications that don't deal with numbers. Just like with a laptop, buying a i7 over an i5 even though the i5 could be much more powerful depending on the model. Of course this is assuming the person is only looking at the specs and not the games :D

yeah, like that comparison with i7 and i5, not all higher numbers actually mean better. But to most without much knowledge, higher = better and it's kinda annoying tbh.

But hey ho, what sells, sells lmao.

Reactions: Yumi Chi and TheSpiritedWarrior
I go where the good games are & Sony & Xbox seem more about shooting and gore & many games I don’t fully enjoy..Where Nintendo has So many games that embrace relative fun..
I don’t go with the numbers never have..

I go where the good games are & Sony & Xbox seem more about shooting and gore & many games I don’t fully enjoy..Where Nintendo has So many games that embrace relative fun..
I feel that... I only won a PS4, and that's how I got into Sony & VR (thank you school). But yeah, with my Quest, I just hope it doesn't overheat when I play VRChat (It literally never does, the Quest is actually a really good system... even with the old Snapdragon 835 it's sporting)

The pure shooting and gore is more xbox with halo, gears of war, etc where playstation is more for singleplayer adventure type games. Uncharted, spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, God of War, The last of us, Infamous, Persona, Kingdom hearts, Ni No Kuni (playstation is where it started), Tearaway, the list just keeps going.
Sure a couple of games in there have some gunplay, but that's far from the focus point of the game. It's about the narration and the journey the game takes you on, that's what playstation have built themselves around.

Back