PlayStation 5 Teardown

• Thread starter Gram
  • Start date
Gram

Gram

Time to Start the Show
Towns Folk
Sony released an official teardown video of the PlayStation 5 this week, showing off its internal structure and components.

Interesting that you can take off the plates. Maybe we’ll see 3rd-party designs or official ones in the future.

It’s also interesting to see how it will be cooled: a double-sided fan, a hefty heatsink, and liquid metal.

There’s also shots of the SSDs and ram, as well as a demonstration of how the stand can be converted between horizontal and vertical arrangements.

Cool stuff.

Reactions: Jisenku, Deepak, InfiniteDream and 1 other person
"For future storage expansion, M.2 interface with PCIe 4.0 support is included"
"Wi-Fi 6 & Bluetooth 5.1 antenna"
"The CPU (x86-64-AMD Ryzen "Zen 2") has 8 cores and 16 threads and runs at up to 3.5 GHz"
"The GPU (AMD Radeon ~ RDNA 2-based graphics engine) is driven at up to 2.23 GHz and delivers 10.3 TFLOPS"
"For its memory, we have installed 8 GDDR6 (GDDR6 16 GB) that delivers a maximum bandwidth of 448GB per second"
"For its storage, we have utilized an onboard 825 GB SSD instead of HDD. With the custom SSD controller, read speeds are as fast as 5.5GB per second at raw data transfer rates"

Them tech specs are freaking amazing (no I'm not going to add the heat sink & overheating prevention)

• Informative
Reactions: Artisan
I think the liquid metal is really cool, like that just sounds super futuristic.

Here is a tear down of the PS5’s Dual Sense controller

Points of interest:
  • Beefier battery
  • Seemingly same analog sticks as Dual Shock 4.
  • Bigger touch screen.
  • Much more complex trigger button assembly (in large part due to their adaptive nature).
  • Much larger vibration motors (haptic feedback motor vs. simple weight motor

Much of this was known already, but it’s interesting to see it.

Reactions: Jisenku
Here is a tear down of the PS5’s Dual Sense controller

Points of interest:
  • Beefier battery
  • Seemingly same analog sticks as Dual Shock 4.
  • Bigger touch screen.
  • Much more complex trigger button assembly (in large part due to their adaptive nature).
  • Much larger vibration motors (haptic feedback motor vs. simple weight motor

Much of this was known already, but it’s interesting to see it.
Also, from what Hisokeee (Hisoko Said (A Project Diva Youtuber) the buttons are less clicky and feel less responsive.

I wouldn't use it for Project Diva IMO

Also, from what Hisokeee (Hisoko Said (A Project Diva Youtuber) the buttons are less clicky and feel less responsive.

I wouldn't use it for Project Diva IMO

In the teardown video, you can see why that would be. PS4 controller trigger buttons have almost nothing between the button and the controller (basically just plastic), but the dual sense has several parts attached that make it less capable of quick, “clicky” presses.

Compare:

91F6E023-31B2-4A49-AF2B-4E668B025CA3.png

Reactions: Jisenku
In the teardown video, you can see why that would be. PS4 controller trigger buttons have almost nothing between the button and the controller (basically just plastic), but the dual sense has several parts attached that make it less capable of quick, “clicky” presses.

Compare:

View attachment 21154
Still though, in my experience with Project Diva, I have often had been able to do button mashing with both the d-pad and the other side, and have always known that it would register solely on the feel of the click... I really don't want that to change with the new DS5 controller

Back