Playstation's BRAND NEW... Errm.... console?

• Thread starter Catstew
  • Start date
Catstew

Catstew

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
Playstation recently announced that they will be releasing a Home streaming console called the...

wait for it....

XBOX ON- oh wait, wrong one.

THE PLAYSTATION TV!

THIS THING!

pstv-imageblock-hand-02-450-us-29may14

I saw this coming from a long time ago. Many people also predicted that the next console that Sony/Playstation woould manufacture would very likely be a console where you would connect to a server, and all the games/content would be streamed to your device through a high-speed internet connection.
I have a feeling Nintendo will not follow this path.

I had a feeling this would come. Considering how they've bought Gaikai, it was only a matter of time before they brought Gaikai's streaming technology to console. This is pretty innovative since it's a console that will fully utilize the power of the cloud, and might just be the first big step in creating devices centered around cloud technology. Microsoft can probably make a similar device too, since they have a lot of cloud infrastructure already built. I don't think this is something Nintendo can do though.

I had a feeling this would come. Considering how they've bought Gaikai, it was only a matter of time before they brought Gaikai's streaming technology to console. This is pretty innovative since it's a console that will fully utilize the power of the cloud, and might just be the first big step in creating devices centered around cloud technology. Microsoft can probably make a similar device too, since they have a lot of cloud infrastructure already built. I don't think this is something Nintendo can do though.
Even if it is something Nintendo can do, they wouldn't likely do it. A streaming device isn't anything next-gen, and I doubt Nintendo fans will embrace the streaming console with happiness.

I don't really see the benefits of streaming technology anyway. Internet infrastructure isn't 100% solid yet, and having to rely on your connection to the net just to play a game seems like a turn-off. However, in maybe 10 years, with fiber optic technology, streaming games might be the standard, but I don't see that time coming anytime soon (at least 2 more "traditional" console generations).

Reactions: 532
I don't really see the benefits of streaming technology anyway. Internet infrastructure isn't 100% solid yet, and having to rely on your connection to the net just to play a game seems like a turn-off. However, in maybe 10 years, with fiber optic technology, streaming games might be the standard, but I don't see that time coming anytime soon (at least 2 more "traditional" console generations).
Fiber-optic technology is used nowadays as well. Even in my house, we are using Fiber Optic. o_O

Well that's pretty advanced. I don't have fiber optic yet, and I personally believe widespread adoption of the technology will take some time, but I can be wrong. I've always thought that fiber optic was only used in a few small towns as a testbed for large scale implementation of the technology (Google Fiber).

Well that's pretty advanced. I don't have fiber optic yet, and I personally believe widespread adoption of the technology will take some time, but I can be wrong. I've always thought that fiber optic was only used in a few small towns as a testbed for large scale implementation of the technology (Google Fiber).
No, it has been used in a large number of areas. Fiber optic cables offer the highest internet speeds, and they are also lightweight. Hence they are also used in aircraft.

Er, this has been out in Japan for almost a year and it's selling terribly there.

It's a fantastic idea for anyone with high speed internet though; for only $99 for the box itself, you can't really complain. I personally don't have the internet for it (350kb/s is my speed, Sony recommends 5mb/s) but it wouldn't be all that useful seeing as I already have all of Sony's current consoles.

Great for casual gamers, though.

Given how strict Sony is about Internet connection (as @BjFauble said, they want you to have a 5Mb/s connection speed), I bet it wouldn't sell at all in France. Why ? Well, let's say that it's rare to find a connection that fast in France...

Also, I have heard that it can play PS Vita games, but since how bad the Vita is selling here... I don't think it'll help.

Er, this has been out in Japan for almost a year and it's selling terribly there.

It's a fantastic idea for anyone with high speed internet though; for only $99 for the box itself, you can't really complain. I personally don't have the internet for it (350kb/s is my speed, Sony recommends 5mb/s) but it wouldn't be all that useful seeing as I already have all of Sony's current consoles.

Great for casual gamers, though.
Erm.. WHAT?! 350 kb/s?! That is the speed offered by telephone-internet. You should really upgrade. I have a 25 Mb/s speed, that is sufficient for everything I do.
Given how strict Sony is about Internet connection (as @BjFauble said, they want you to have a 5Mb/s connection speed), I bet it wouldn't sell at all in France. Why ? Well, let's say that it's rare to find a connection that fast in France...

Also, I have heard that it can play PS Vita games, but since how bad the Vita is selling here... I don't think it'll help.
That's unfortunate. I doubt that this will sell well at all, given that it is just a box with the ability to stream games. 99$ for a streaming box isn't exactly a good idea.

Erm.. WHAT?! 350 kb/s?! That is the speed offered by telephone-internet. You should really upgrade. I have a 25 Mb/s speed, that is sufficient for everything I do.
You get used to 350kb/s after a while.

You get used to 350kb/s after a while.
Not after being used to a minimum of 3 Mb/s :D

My mom likes to have a lot of land because we have dogs and cats. Right now I have internet from a company called Frontier and they're the only company that will come out to where I live. The internet I had in my old house was around 100kb/s, luckily I hardly used it back then.

But yeah, like Alex said, you get used to it. Waiting 10 hours for a 5GB download isn't very convenient but I just leave it on overnight.

My mom likes to have a lot of land because we have dogs and cats. Right now I have internet from a company called Frontier and they're the only company that will come out to where I live. The internet I had in my old house was around 100kb/s, luckily I hardly used it back then.

But yeah, like Alex said, you get used to it. Waiting 10 hours for a 5GB download isn't very convenient but I just leave it on overnight.
I see. Where do you live, USA? (Not for stalking you :p)

Back