Spin Off PMD: rescue team DX post game tip: get groudon for your first legendary

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
I decided to load my already nice rescue team DX save since i hadnt played for quite some time and i realized something pretty embarrassing. i went into my rooster to power up groudon and then saw he wasnt there. then i attempted to go to magma cavern and wouldnt you know it, boss indicator was still there... im immediately like wow i actually forgot to friend groudon lol...

i just swept through the area with my favorite kecleon duo and my celebi (my main team for most random missions, they demolish pretty much everything) and even though i forgot to bring all power up orbs and all dodge orb it wasnt that hard since my team was so broken. a couple uses of lick+ fury swipes from one kecleon and ancient power+ fury swipes and got through both phases in seconds (linked moves). celebi did not have linked moves since she wasnt the more focused damage dealer, but having uproar and earth power linked wouldve certainly added to the craziness haha...

So after taking him out and getting him i saw his starting moves and they were VERY good unlike many others when i friended legendaries: he starts with precipice blades, earth power, earthquake, and lava plume. This is one really strong starting set and i highly recommend getting him as your first legendary when you reach the early post game. remember that if you have a group of flying type pokemon (i obviously dont expect most to have celebi and/ or a multi kecleon team or setup for easily notable reasons... these two are the hardest ones to get on your team in the entire game but if requested i can walk you through it. i will do purity forest rescues but youll need to do kecleon on your own since rescues are invalid when you have to fight his hordes) that you can completely bypass precipice blades which is one of his most powerful attacks. Just dont bring water pokemon, you are about to hear why for those who dont understand: after taking a certain amount of damage he will enter primal reversion causing water type moves to have no effect for the rest of the battle. this is why i advise bring either flying or normal types who link a boosting move with a multi hit attack move instead of bringing a group of water types. he wont resist the type damage here either so thats another good thing.

i made the mistake of going straight for rayquaza after finishing the main game and this is not only ill advisable but also a very, very common mistake that i know many others did as well and unlike me they died a lot from this. the reason i know this is a common mistake is by seeing the massive amount of sky tower 33F friend requests that even now practically flood the online. most dont realize that post game he is one of the hardest legendary bosses and unlike groudon he cant be cheesed with his move types and his mega evolution is significantly more threatening since his move power and overalp resistance increases drastically. this is why i dont suggest fighting him too soon or youll likely find yourself added to the death mounds of sky tower 33F. i had a lucky win the second time around and that ended up being my first legendary i friended. was he worth it? of course he was but i suggest fighting groudon until you have a much stronger team that can handle rayquaza. his stats and health are much higher during the boss fight than groudons are and groudons starting moveset is definitely much better especially if youve had limited grinding and less money and TMs as a result, where rayquaza does need some of this to optimize after friending him

of course it is possible to cheese the rayquaza team but requires a much stronger setup and significantly greater caution since hyper beam and dragon ascent will do massive damage if youre hit by them (especially once he mega evolves so watch out).

hope this gives a safer post game start for anyone who just finished the story

edit, important: i will be writing a guide to make groudon monstrously broken, so anyone who is interested in a very strong setup for him (and up for a modest grind), be sure to have a look when i finish powering mine up and i will write which moves, rare qualities and what stats to prioritize boosting on! im one of the few people who experiments this thoroughly with the game so i hope these things help others out who dont have many strong teammates or dont know where to start with building them.

Last edited:
Reactions: phofufury
Back