Pokémon Unite: An Upcoming Free-to-Play Strategic Pokemon Game.

• Thread starter phofufury
  • Start date
phofufury

phofufury

idk
Towns Folk
This caught my attention. A free-to-play Pokémon game? I've been wanting to play a few Pokémon games, but they are like $60. This game is also described as a strategic, team battle game. This is interesting because, just like Star Wars Hunters, it's also being published on mobile appstores.

I am not sure what to think about this, currently there is leaked footage of it on the Switch (although terms for agreement for beta access clearly states no streaming or sharing footage of the game is allowed). The fact that it is also a mobile game makes me not want to play it much. It seems as if they are just porting it to the Switch. I have several mobile ports of games on the Switch, but it works kind of well. I just hope Nintendo isn't getting lazy here.

Reactions: Mizunil
I thought this was announced ages ago? I wouldn't know, haven't been keeping up with videogame news that much, but I had believed this game was either announced or released ages ago... again, haven't been keeping up so I wouldn't know.

Hope it would come to Switch like a few other of their FtPs (especially Pokemon FtPs) have. Now we're in the Pokemon anniversary year, it wouldn't be surprising, and I've been kind of expecting them to bring out a new FtP. The only real surprise here is that there was no mention of one - particularly Unite - during the Direct.

Reactions: phofufury
I thought this was announced ages ago? I wouldn't know, haven't been keeping up with videogame news that much, but I had believed this game was either announced or released ages ago... again, haven't been keeping up so I wouldn't know.

Hope it would come to Switch like a few other of their FtPs (especially Pokemon FtPs) have. Now we're in the Pokemon anniversary year, it wouldn't be surprising, and I've been kind of expecting them to bring out a new FtP. The only real surprise here is that there was no mention of one - particularly Unite - during the Direct.
This was announced ages ago, but i didn't know because I hardly keep up with Pokémon news. The only reason I found this out was because people were leaking it in it's beta stage. I believe it was announced on Pokémon Presents back in June of 2020.

This was announced ages ago, but i didn't know because I hardly keep up with Pokémon news. The only reason I found this out was because people were leaking it in it's beta stage. I believe it was announced on Pokémon Presents back in June of 2020.

Yeah... a year ago. No way do I have enough of an attention span to keep up with that. A trailer for it came up on my feed, but that was about it. Didn't watch the trailer so I don't know what it's like. Hopefully something like Pokemon Quest, that game was fun, not so big on the match 3s and other kinds of games that feel like you need to keep buying stuff to actually progress in the game.

Serebii said:
Pokémon UNITE is a Multiplayer Online Battle game created by TiMi Studios with The Pokémon Company for Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android.
It's 5v5. There are multiple maps.
Pokemon we've seen:
  • Venusaur
  • Charizard
  • Blastoise
  • Talonflame
  • Lucario
  • Snorlax
  • Gengar
  • Machamp
  • Clefable
  • Pikachu
That's all we know about it. Think we'll know anything by April 1st?

Personally I'll give it a shot because I never tried this genre. I'll elaborate more as more info comes in.

Is it PvP? MMO? The sole screenshot I saw of it made it look like an MMO, which I hope isn't the case, as I vastly prefer playing by myself, and I'd need to buy an online subscription which I would otherwise never use.

As I've said, I really liked Pokemon Quest, so I hope it's like that. Game was fun, simplistic and the microtransactions could easily be ignored, three of the most important aspects of a F2P for me.

Is it PvP? MMO? The sole screenshot I saw of it made it look like an MMO, which I hope isn't the case, as I vastly prefer playing by myself, and I'd need to buy an online subscription which I would otherwise never use.

As I've said, I really liked Pokemon Quest, so I hope it's like that. Game was fun, simplistic and the microtransactions could easily be ignored, three of the most important aspects of a F2P for me.
It's MMO with ten people on one map. Basically it's gonna take advantage of the better online updates they've been setting up. Otherwise why would they try it?

Shame. Guess I'll skip, then. But you're right - they wouldn't do anything if it wasn't to show off their new capabilities, AKA, they wouldn't do anything if they couldn't profit off of it. They wouldn't be interested in making a game that was simply fun and nothing more so Quest was likely a one-off. Disappointing, but I guess that's how it is.

Also to further coax people into online memberships even if I must be the last Switch owner on Earth not to have one at this point, I see no reason to get one when I don't have any friends and all almost all my games are exclusively singleplayer.

I wasn't that invested in this, but any F2P seems cool to me. I do like how they're trying to branch out, hopefully it isn't pay to win or progress though. I just remember it reminding me of League of Legends, maybe I'll try this out, but probably not.

and I'd need to buy an online subscription which I would otherwise never use.
idk if this will be the case tho, i say it's a 50/50 chance. For one, 99% of free to play games on the Switch that are online don't need NSO. Like Fortnite, Spellbreak, Skyforge, DC Universe Online. Tho, there is one game, Circle of Sumo: Online Rumble! is free to play, but they charge you to have NSO. That made me mad. Also, there could be a high chance that if this is an original Nintendo game, they are gonna charge for NSO. However, seeing the vast majority of free to play games on the switch being completely free to play, then i think we have a chance of Pokémon Unite not using NSO.

• Informative
Reactions: Mizunil
idk if this will be the case tho, i say it's a 50/50 chance. For one, 99% of free to play games on the Switch that are online don't need NSO. Like Fortnite, Spellbreak, Skyforge, DC Universe Online. Tho, there is one game, Circle of Sumo: Online Rumble! is free to play, but they charge you to have NSO. That made me mad. Also, there could be a high chance that if this is an original Nintendo game, they are gonna charge for NSO. However, seeing the vast majority of free to play games on the switch being completely free to play, then i think we have a chance of Pokémon Unite not using NSO.

As far as I know, most of these are third-party titles. Any game Nintendo themselves are making will almost certainly have NSO if it means they can profit off of it, which they will. I'd say there's a very high chance Unite will have NSO.

Which is moderately understandable, coming from my limited knowledge - servers require maintenance and such, which isn't exactly free. That said, NSO is yet another aspect for Nintendo to compete with, giving them the opportunity to make it as expensive or manipulative as they want until their players begin to wonder if an alternative platform would be better instead.

As far as I know, most of these are third-party titles. Any game Nintendo themselves are making will almost certainly have NSO if it means they can profit off of it, which they will. I'd say there's a very high chance Unite will have NSO.

Which is moderately understandable, coming from my limited knowledge - servers require maintenance and such, which isn't exactly free. That said, NSO is yet another aspect for Nintendo to compete with, giving them the opportunity to make it as expensive or manipulative as they want until their players begin to wonder if an alternative platform would be better instead.
Why would you need NSO to play on mobile phones though?

it took some time and was expected that a game like this would be made but after wuite some time , a multiplayer battle leage of legends style game for pokemon is on the switch.
the game itself looks like it runs ok and does not get too slow unless your net is weak.
not a fan of tencent as a company or the location in world they reside in but it sounds like a neat game.
fight random pokemon to evolve to then build up power and moves to take on human players in the arena.
i wwont play this game but would watch others play it on youtube.

Back