Pokemon IRL Questions

• Thread starter WarEmerald
  • Start date
WarEmerald

WarEmerald

Keep Calm and Battle On
Towns Folk
Since playing Pokémon Go for almost a year and seeing them (almost) in our reality, it really got me thinking. Especially about how things could be different if we had a more pokemon type reality. These questions are some that are definitely in the forefront of my mind. You can answer them all or just focus on one. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what it would be like in the pokemon world. Also a lot of these answers could be found in the shows, movies, and probably the games, but I wasn't taking any notes. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

1. -Life span? There's cemeteries shown, fossil pokemon that can be brought back to life, thousand year old pokemon hybernating. We have revives, sprays, medicine, and Nurse Hopes that bring their health back. But does that stop them from dying?
  2. We know of free will evolving when they don't need stones or objects. What do they do with the objects? Do they eat it, absorb it, crush it? Where do they store it? They don't have pockets! Do some pokemon go out and try to find their objects? Do others avoid it? When should a trainer give them the object? How do trainers know if a pokemon are defective or need an object?
  3. How does training work? We have DMs and TMs, but how do they work on pokemon? We have seen trainers and gym leaders show the move physically to their pokemon. How should pokemon really be trained?
  4. What about pokemon collecting? One example could be a room full of pokeballs on shelves with labels. Or zoos in cities. Pokemon showing, which one is the most beautiful or best trained. Sanctuaries that are used for no capturing. Egg hatcheries that are filled with caring staff that are ready to help care for these little pokemon. What about pet pokemon stores or should there be? Pokemon are companions. They could be captured in the wild or maybe they could be given as a gift that you train for a lifetime.
  5. So we've learned that all pokemon come from eggs, but is that really what happens? A lot of pokemon seem and act like mammals. Shouldn't they be giving birth them instead of laying eggs? How do plant/grass type pokemon lay eggs? Wouldn't it be more of a pollination like situation?
  6. What about ill moral people that use pokemon for only money? Like black market dealings, pokemon mills that just breed them for money, poaching, product testing, defective pokemon studies. Have there been cases of people eating pokemon? Like a Miltank steak or magicarp sushi? Or maybe there is a black market of poke-meat?
  7. Pokemon eating pokemon. It happens in the wild, the pokedex even says so. Would you feed your flying-type a bunch of caterpies? But what if you are a flying-type breeder and your neighbor/friend is a bug-type breeder? Would that be awkward to the bug-type person? Or is it a more normal thought like snakes eating mice?
  8. The age old questions. What's really inside a pokeball? How does the PCs work? Are pokemon basically living technology that go from code to living being? Or is it a teleportion device?

Since playing Pokémon Go for almost a year and seeing them (almost) in our reality, it really got me thinking. Especially about how things could be different if we had a more pokemon type reality. These questions are some that are definitely in the forefront of my mind. You can answer them all or just focus on one. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what it would be like in the pokemon world. Also a lot of these answers could be found in the shows, movies, and probably the games, but I wasn't taking any notes. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

1. -Life span? There's cemeteries shown, fossil pokemon that can be brought back to life, thousand year old pokemon hybernating. We have revives, sprays, medicine, and Nurse Hopes that bring their health back. But does that stop them from dying?
  2. We know of free will evolving when they don't need stones or objects. What do they do with the objects? Do they eat it, absorb it, crush it? Where do they store it? They don't have pockets! Do some pokemon go out and try to find their objects? Do others avoid it? When should a trainer give them the object? How do trainers know if a pokemon are defective or need an object?
  3. How does training work? We have DMs and TMs, but how do they work on pokemon? We have seen trainers and gym leaders show the move physically to their pokemon. How should pokemon really be trained?
  4. What about pokemon collecting? One example could be a room full of pokeballs on shelves with labels. Or zoos in cities. Pokemon showing, which one is the most beautiful or best trained. Sanctuaries that are used for no capturing. Egg hatcheries that are filled with caring staff that are ready to help care for these little pokemon. What about pet pokemon stores or should there be? Pokemon are companions. They could be captured in the wild or maybe they could be given as a gift that you train for a lifetime.
  5. So we've learned that all pokemon come from eggs, but is that really what happens? A lot of pokemon seem and act like mammals. Shouldn't they be giving birth them instead of laying eggs? How do plant/grass type pokemon lay eggs? Wouldn't it be more of a pollination like situation?
  6. What about ill moral people that use pokemon for only money? Like black market dealings, pokemon mills that just breed them for money, poaching, product testing, defective pokemon studies. Have there been cases of people eating pokemon? Like a Miltank steak or magicarp sushi? Or maybe there is a black market of poke-meat?
  7. Pokemon eating pokemon. It happens in the wild, the pokedex even says so. Would you feed your flying-type a bunch of caterpies? But what if you are a flying-type breeder and your neighbor/friend is a bug-type breeder? Would that be awkward to the bug-type person? Or is it a more normal thought like snakes eating mice?
  8. The age old questions. What's really inside a pokeball? How does the PCs work? Are pokemon basically living technology that go from code to living being? Or is it a teleportion device?
1. Pokemon would have different live spans (just like all other animals.) I think ghost Pokemon would be like real ghosts and people not knowing if they are actually real. and maybe the were insanely rare.
2. I really have no clue. my best guess would be some Pokemon would adsorb it into there bodies. others would wear it around there necks like attached to a necklace or pendant. perhaps a collar.
3. With TM and HM I'm thinking it would be more of an instruction manual on how to teach your Pokemon the move. you coach them on how do to it. I think Pokemon should be trained like how well behaved dogs are with care and repetition.
4. There would be a insane struggle on keeping Pokemon collecting a humane thing to do. with all of the people with ill intent to steal Pokemon. what if two people where in a battle and someone went all 'team rocket' and just captured your Pokemon during the battle!. there would have to be certain things in place to make this not happen. i assume some Pokemon would be hoarded and not traded or sold. so they would be in zoos to protect them for collectors.
5. Pokemon would probably mate just like mammals, fish like fish, birds like birds. the eggs would be some sort of like "test tube baby"
6. I'm gonna state the things i stated in number 4. also there would be a police force helping with Pokemon abuse.
7. of course Pokemon would eat Pokemon. and i assume bug Pokemon trainers would be very scared to battle bird trainers. its very interesting and scary to think about!
8. I think poke balls must be some sort of other demention where Pokemon live until they are summoned back into our plane. PC's would work the same way.

I have some questions about Pokemon.

1) Can they poop? It's common knowledge that even animals can process their food, but I would like to know this. (Especially if I'm letting one in my room to sleep.)

2) If I find a legendary, will there be rules in place for owning one? You'd need to sign contracts to owning zoo animals, giraffes, whales, lions, hippos. Would that apply for the Legendaries? Or something more because some of them can be very dangerous?

3) Which food is the right food to feed my Pokemon? This always happens whenever I look for pet food. Some products cost about 10$ but others are roughly 50/60$ I think Pokeblocks, Puffs, and Beans are mostly snacks so my Pokemon might not get enough of the nutrients they require from those alone.

I have some questions about Pokemon.

1) Can they poop? It's common knowledge that even animals can process their food, but I would like to know this. (Especially if I'm letting one in my room to sleep.)

2) If I find a legendary, will there be rules in place for owning one? You'd need to sign contracts to owning zoo animals, giraffes, whales, lions, hippos. Would that apply for the Legendaries? Or something more because some of them can be very dangerous?

3) Which food is the right food to feed my Pokemon? This always happens whenever I look for pet food. Some products cost about 10$ but others are roughly 50/60$ I think Pokeblocks, Puffs, and Beans are mostly snacks so my Pokemon might not get enough of the nutrients they require from those alone.
1)
907.png

Yes.

2) As far as I'm aware, there are no contracts that are signed for owning legendary Pokemon. The only restrictions are that they are banned from certain tournaments. Besides, Pokemon and regular animals aren't really compared like that in-universe since they co-exist.

3) Just pick berries and make treats for them like every other trainer does. Alternatively, there's a rock-type Gym Leader I know who could teach you how and what to cook for your Pokemon.

Reactions: Danominator and Ace
1)
907.png

Yes.

2) As far as I'm aware, there are no contracts that are signed for owning legendary Pokemon. The only restrictions are that they are banned from certain tournaments. Besides, Pokemon and regular animals aren't really compared like that in-universe since they co-exist.

3) Just pick berries and make treats for them like every other trainer does. Alternatively, there's a rock-type Gym Leader I know who could teach you how and what to cook for your Pokemon.

I really like these answers. I feel like if they eat they poop. What do you mean by animals and pokemon co-exist? I thought that they didn't co-exist in the poke-universe.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I really like these answers. I feel like if they eat they poop. What do you mean by animals and pokemon co-exist? I thought that they didn't co-exist in the poke-universe.

A dog in promotional anime material:
Pokemon_dog.jpg

Standard cow costume in the anime:
Ash_cow_suit.png

Bees in the main series:
Attack_Order_VI_2.png

Weepinbell eyeballing a bird in the TCG:
180px-WeepinbellJungle48.jpg

EDIT: And that's not even mentioning the Pokedex entries in the main-series games that sometimes compares Pokemon to animals or mentions them.

Last edited:
A dog in promotional anime material:
Pokemon_dog.jpg

Standard cow costume in the anime:
Ash_cow_suit.png

Bees in the main series:
Attack_Order_VI_2.png

Weepinbell eyeballing a bird in the TCG:
180px-WeepinbellJungle48.jpg

EDIT: And that's not even mentioning the Pokedex entries in the main-series games that sometimes compares Pokemon to animals or mentions them.

Oh I've never realized that!! My whole world is being turned upside down!

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Pandaxclone2
Oh I've never realized that!! My whole world is being turned upside down!

To be fair you likely never realised it because Pokemon are mainly analogous to animals (and certain ghosts, objects, misc. things etc., but mainly animals) which you take for granted, and so it doesn't catch your eye when actual animals are shown or are mentioned. (Since it'd be otherwise odd to try and conceptualize some feats or comparisons in the Pokedex entries, like Pikachu being a Mouse Pokemon, without animals as a base.)

To be fair you likely never realised it because Pokemon are mainly analogous to animals (and certain ghosts, objects, misc. things etc., but mainly animals) which you take for granted, and so it doesn't catch your eye when actual animals are shown or are mentioned. (Since it'd be otherwise odd to try and conceptualize some feats or comparisons in the Pokedex entries, like Pikachu being a Mouse Pokemon, without animals as a base.)

Are you a professor or gym leader? It's like you know everything. :woot:

Are you a professor or gym leader? It's like you know everything. :woot:

Yes. :p But I feel we've kinda strayed off topic.

Yes. :p But I feel we've kinda strayed off topic.

Since you're really knowledgeable about pokémon, would you answer the top 8 questions?

1. Generally, damage that Pokemon take results in them fainting but still being alive. Although as is shown in the games and other mediums, Pokemon can take mortal blows and die, some probably of old age. It's assumed that short of using AZ's doomsday device, no Pokemon can be revived from death even with these potions since they are meant to help a Pokemon heal faster; a biological function that ceases when dead.
  2. Pokemon would just... hold the item. It's not like the the case of the Pokemon trainer where they have a backpack capable of holding 999 berries and lemonades. Pokemon can only hold one item at a time, and depending on the item or Pokemon it might hold it a multitude of ways; a ghost Pokemon might use supernatural powers to telekinetically hold it, a Pokemon with no hands might store it in a pouch, or perhaps there's a necklace part for certain items that allow them to just hang it around their neck. Evolutionary items are consumable, so they're either breaking up or become inert when they come into contact with a Pokemon and its energy is used up.
  3. In regards to the TM/HMs, at least in FRLG they were shown to be placed on the Pokemon's head and they just learn that move. In terms of regular training, it depends on the trainer. A fighting trainer might wrestle with his Pokemon, and a Hiker may have his rock types smash a number of boulders a day. Generally speaking though, when a Trainer and their Pokemon fight opponent Pokemon, they gain experience from their battles; what to do, what not to do, perhaps even figuring out a new way to use a move i.e. Squirtle using Bubble might experiment enough in battles to figure out how to use Water Gun.
  4. As far as "pet" Pokemon stores would go, Safari Zones, Mr. Fuji's orphanage and Team Rocket's Game Corner could technically count. Safari Zone would also count towards being a reserve/sanctuary of sorts, since there are certain rules in place which prevents over catching.
  5. For all we know, Pokemon just have a bizarre biology from what we're familiar with to other animals. Chalk it up to Arceus almighty making them like that. Regardless, you can't dispute the fact that any breedable Pokemon (with minor exceptions) can come out of an egg. It's not like they were put in there against their will.
  6. The games actually point out a lot of this. Team Rocket is basically using Pokemon for profit and poaching, there are Pokemon Breeder classes you can fight, and it's pretty heavily implied that studying on Pokemon was necessary for the development of the Master Ball. In the past, humans did eat Pokemon and presently there are certain resources from Pokemon which are still consumed, like Moo-Moo Milk from Miltanks. Slowpoke Tails are considered a delicacy, but are also illegal.
  7. It's assumed Pokemon have some basic understanding of human concepts. After all, if they didn't they wouldn't understand your strategizing or language. So your Pidgey will probably listen to you when you tell them not to eat the next door neighbour's Caterpies. Wild Pokemon should be fair game though, and it's assumed that Pokemon which do eat other Pokemon live would do this as well, unless you decide to cook food for your Pokemon instead.
  8. I would imagine that a Poke Ball simulates a virtual habitat of sorts where the Pokemon can rest for extended periods of time without the need for food or water. Depending on the Poke Ball and the Pokemon in question, the habitat may suit them enough that they don't attempt to break out, or they will. A Net Ball for example is effective against Bug and Water type Pokemon, suggesting it's calibrated higher to simulate much better environments for those Pokemon. The Master Ball would be the latest in this technology which was somehow not possible with prior Poke Balls and doesn't come cheap. PCs just put Pokemon away into storage. Whether this means a digital place or physical place where the Poke balls are stored is up to your discretion. No, Pokemon are still biological creatures. I assume they are converted into some sort of energy and back when they are summoned or recalled from the Poke Ball.
Considering that last one, I'm reminded of the teleportation problem, where data A is scanned and subsequently destroyed, then replicated to data B. One questions about whether or not the Pokemon in question are the same as before? Perhaps this is why Pikachu doesn't like getting into his Poke Ball?

Last edited:
  1. Generally, damage that Pokemon take results in them fainting but still being alive. Although as is shown in the games and other mediums, Pokemon can take mortal blows and die, some probably of old age. It's assumed that short of using AZ's doomsday device, no Pokemon can be revived from death even with these potions since they are meant to help a Pokemon heal faster; a biological function that ceases when dead.
  2. Pokemon would just... hold the item. It's not like the the case of the Pokemon trainer where they have a backpack capable of holding 999 berries and lemonades. Pokemon can only hold one item at a time, and depending on the item or Pokemon it might hold it a multitude of ways; a ghost Pokemon might use supernatural powers to telekinetically hold it, a Pokemon with no hands might store it in a pouch, or perhaps there's a necklace part for certain items that allow them to just hang it around their neck. Evolutionary items are consumable, so they're either breaking up or become inert when they come into contact with a Pokemon and its energy is used up.
  3. In regards to the TM/HMs, at least in FRLG they were shown to be placed on the Pokemon's head and they just learn that move. In terms of regular training, it depends on the trainer. A fighting trainer might wrestle with his Pokemon, and a Hiker may have his rock types smash a number of boulders a day. Generally speaking though, when a Trainer and their Pokemon fight opponent Pokemon, they gain experience from their battles; what to do, what not to do, perhaps even figuring out a new way to use a move i.e. Squirtle using Bubble might experiment enough in battles to figure out how to use Water Gun.
  4. As far as "pet" Pokemon stores would go, Safari Zones, Mr. Fuji's orphanage and Team Rocket's Game Corner could technically count. Safari Zone would also count towards being a reserve/sanctuary of sorts, since there are certain rules in place which prevents over catching.
  5. For all we know, Pokemon just have a bizarre biology from what we're familiar with to other animals. Chalk it up to Arceus almighty making them like that. Regardless, you can't dispute the fact that any breedable Pokemon (with minor exceptions) can come out of an egg. It's not like they were put in there against their will.
  6. The games actually point out a lot of this. Team Rocket is basically using Pokemon for profit and poach, there are Pokemon Breeder classes you can fight, and it's pretty heavily implied that studying on Pokemon was necessary for the development of the Master Ball. In the past, humans did eat Pokemon and presently there are certain resources from Pokemon which are still eaten, like Moo-Moo Milk from Miltanks. Slowpoke Tails are considered a delicacy, but are also illegal.
  7. It's assumed Pokemon have some basic understanding of human concepts. After all, if they didn't they wouldn't understand your strategizing or language. So your Pidgey will probably listen to you when you tell them not to eat the next door neighbour's Caterpies. Wild Pokemon should be fair game though, and it's assumed that Pokemon which do eat other Pokemon live would do this as well, unless you decide to cook food for your Pokemon instead.
  8. I would imagine that a Poke Ball simulates a virtual habitat of sorts where the Pokemon can rest for extended periods of time without the need for food or water. Depending on the Poke Ball and the Pokemon in question, the habitat may suit them enough that they don't attempt to break out, or they will. A Net Ball for example is effective against Bug and Water type Pokemon, suggesting it's calibrated higher to simulate much better environments for those Pokemon. The Master Ball would be the latest in this technology which was somehow not possible with prior Poke Balls and doesn't come cheap. PCs just put Pokemon away into storage. Whether this means a digital place or physical place where the Poke balls are stored is up to your discretion. No, Pokemon are still biological creatures. I assume they are converted into some sort of energy and back when they are summoned or recalled from the Poke Ball.
Considering that last one, I'm reminded of the teleportation problem, where data A is scanned and subsequently destroyed, then replicated to data B. One questions about whether or not the Pokemon in question are the same as before? Perhaps this is why Pikachu doesn't like getting into his Poke Ball?

These make so much sense and has given me a lot of insight. I've never would have thought about some aspects that you said like gain knowledge through experience or how potions help regenerate faster and how regeneration stops when they die. For some reason it didn't click before. Thank you for your time and great detail in your answers!

Reactions: Auron and Pandaxclone2
  1. For life span, this can vary from Pokemon to Pokemon. Some Insect Pokemon could only live until Winter or a colder time, while some others like Growlithe could probably live to be about 5 or so years old. Pokemon don't 'die' in battle, the game specifically states that they fainted. Revives are only called Revives because that is something most people accommodate RPG revival with. Take Final Fantasy. When a character dies, they are 'Revived' with either a Phoenix Down or advanced White Magic skills. The difference in these two franchises is that in FF, characters actually die, but they don't in Pokemon.
  2. I think that Pokemon can have a choice on if they want to evolve if they have a strong will. I think what happens to the stone is that the energy inside is transferred like an electric shock to the Pokemon. It's processed into their bodies and it's used to evolve. The stone just becomes...well, a stone. It's got no other worth than just a rock. As for whether or not they actually go out looking for it, I think they feel it's just a part of nature. If Pokemon are parodies of animals, then Pokemon can't reproduce and live on their own until they 'grow up'.
  3. I don't think Pokemon really care what move they can use, so long as they can use them for self defense. It's like if you taught a Dog to forget biting and exclusively attack by scratching, the Dog will probably think the method of Biting will never have happened.
  4. I think that it really depends on the person who is getting the Pokemon. A person who can move around and perform many Physical activities should try catching the Pokemon themselves, but I can see the benefits to Pokemon that are bred in captivity and hatcheries. If the conditions are good and the reason is right, Pokemon can probably find as much success in captivities as they do in the wild
  5. This has a question that has bugged me, too. I think what happens is that all Pokemon create eggs rather than birthing, even for the mammals. If they posses super-natural powers, wouldn't it be more safer for the mother and child if the premature child develop outside, away from the heat of battles? Also, most plant-Grass type Pokemon are really just animals with vegetation growing on them, like Venasaur and Tropius. For the sentient plants like Cottonee and Roserade, I think it just depends on the Pokemon.
  6. This is, sadly, out of our control, but I think that people will try to exploit Pokemon for their power. It's practically a guarantee. The only thing we can do is to develop a strong enough military force (or have an incredibly gifted 10 year old) to oppose and repel these forces. As for eating, it's not really the act of killing and eating a Pokemon that is bad, but it's the act of killing, eating, and not finishing the Pokemon.
  7. This is a natural process. People with toads have to catch crickets, while another person may keep crickets as pets. It may be a little damaging to the cricket-keeper, but it's the toads way of staying alive. If it really bugs you, you could probably send a Pokemon outside to get its food and come back at a certain time.
  8. This has been of popular topic, so I'll try to answer this as best I can. I think Pokeballs are little Pocket-dimensions that are built exclusively for that Pokemon. Inside a Pokeball it's got an area a Pokemon can enjoy itself with based on their type, like pools for water-type Pokemon and expansive plains for grass types. That's why the Pokeball description in the game describes Pokemon being comfortably captured inside a Pokeball.
This was largely based off my common sense. Hope I helped!

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
All those questions are very interesting. It is difficult to know the answers unless you ask the creator directly but one can only make guesses about the answers without having the creator to respond to them. I hope that you will be able to find the answers to your questions.

Back