Spin Off Pokemon mystery dungeon fans ?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
I haven't seen a whole lot of buzz about these games here so to speak, but i wondered if anyone here likes the pokemon mystery dungeon series ? Ive loved the games for quite a while and to be more exact the one that has really gotten my attention more recent on the games is supee mystery dungeon. The reason i like super mystery dungeon more than the others is because you can get all the legendary Pokemon in the game (up to gen6) without having to gamble it as in older games where you had some whatsit percent chance of success vs failure. Dont get me wrong, this got easier for me after enough thorough experimentation, but as most can imagine the job was difficult and time consuming (fortunately it paid off later though).

To be honest, the recruiting system in super mystery dungeon is pretty straightforward despite the easily noticeable difficulty gap compared to previous ones which i happen to like. Its pretty nice knowing or having a fair idea of whats coming rather than being forced into a gamble as described above, even if it is not perfect :p one of my favorite things though is the music in the game. Especially the later songs

I have only played the first two mystery dungeon games but I am a huge fan of them both - though I have to say that the second installments, especially sky- are my favourites of the bunch. The characters, music, concepts, special episodes, everything was just wonderful.

I replay the Bidoof episode so often bc screw me and my fragile heart. These are manly tears, damn it.

I've never been a huge fan of most legendaries so that never really bothered me, but I can see how and why people would appreciate the process being simplified. I heard SPMD was a bit easier and quote on quote 'dumbed down' by a lot of people so I never did bother to fork over my money for it, but I'd be more than willing to give it a shot if I could for free. Is it really as how people say it is?

Reactions: Duffy and Alegria
I have only played the first two mystery dungeon games but I am a huge fan of them both - though I have to say that the second installments, especially sky- are my favourites of the bunch. The characters, music, concepts, special episodes, everything was just wonderful.

I replay the Bidoof episode so often bc screw me and my fragile heart. These are manly tears, damn it.

I've never been a huge fan of most legendaries so that never really bothered me, but I can see how and why people would appreciate the process being simplified. I heard SPMD was a bit easier and quote on quote 'dumbed down' by a lot of people so I never did bother to fork over my money for it, but I'd be more than willing to give it a shot if I could for free. Is it really as how people say it is?

Ohhh kay, i dont understand what you mean by dumbed down, and i cant say much about rumors or talk elsewhere and such since i haven't heard anything like that either, but i will tell you if you're willing to get it then go for it, the game has an amazing story and the gameplay is beautiful. You might like the awesome music you see in the game later too, i did my first time run :p

Ohhh kay, i dont understand what you mean by dumbed down, and i cant say much about rumors or talk elsewhere and such since i haven't heard anything like that either, but i will tell you if you're willing to get it then go for it, the game has an amazing story and the gameplay is beautiful. You might like the awesome music you see in the game later too, i did my first time run :p

I might be thinking of Gates to Infinity because my chronological memory is snit - I remember one of the 3DS games being talked rather poorly of. Either way, I would like to give it a shot when/if I can, and you've definitely encouraged me.

I don't think it's possible to not like PMD music. I mean, it's PMD. Great music just comes along with it.

Reactions: Kadaj
I might be thinking of Gates to Infinity because my chronological memory is snit - I remember one of the 3DS games being talked rather poorly of. Either way, I would like to give it a shot when/if I can, and you've definitely encouraged me.

I don't think it's possible to not like PMD music. I mean, it's PMD. Great music just comes along with it.

Ahh yes that would not surprise me if you are in fact correct, i personally enjoyed that game but the most notable issue/ complaint i had about gates to infinity was the poor legendary availability (specifically kyurem for me), and the available pokemon in the game was limited to gen 5 only which really sucked. It had a great story, bit concerning expanding a bit more thats where the game falls short compared to super mystery dungeon. I personally had finished the story easily expecting what we had before about aftergame legendaries and special pokemon but was very disappointed here when i learned kyurem is inaccessible which was quite the sad news for me since he's my favorite pokemon.

Long story short though, super mystery dungeon is the better choice here by my suggestions. Way more variety in it compared to gates to infinity (in general).

I am also a fan of the Mystery Dungeon side series. I've never played Gates To Infinity but from a glance I can already tell it is severely lacking. I'm also a stickler for using the same starter and partner so when I found out that Gen V + Pikachu were the only available Pokemon I steered well clear of it. I can however confirm that Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is everything that GTI should've been. In fact I'd go so far to say that SPMD rivals Explorers of Sky for the top PMD game in the series.

I'll admit that the ending of both Rescue Team and Explorers have made me tear up on more than one occasion. I especially love the ending given by SPMD and the revelation therein (especially since it involves one of my favorite Pokemon.) The special episodes in Sky are also great story building to an already amazing plot. I'd love to see where the series goes in the future, but my hope is that the devs have seen the error of their ways with GTI. That mistake should never be repeated.

I'm very found of the old Mystery Dungeons, I've played the Red Rescue Team! But the 3DS ones were too... bad looking to me, I couldn't do that. I've tried a demo, I don't remember which but it's not the same anymore... é_è

I'm very found of the old Mystery Dungeons, I've played the Red Rescue Team! But the 3DS ones were too... bad looking to me, I couldn't do that. I've tried a demo, I don't remember which but it's not the same anymore... é_è

Yeah they did change a lot of stuff, and even though gates to infinity was pretty weak in terms of variety super mystery dungeon beats all of them (and well makes up for the mess nintendo made with that one in my opinion). I wont go into a huge burst of words here, but im guessing you played the gates to infinity demo ? I didn't like the demo that much since it forced you to do discover a magagate after some ways and this got boring to me since it was too tough and id die almost every dungeon but enjoyed the full game enough i ended up getting it and played for quite some time. If you want more expansion though better get super mystery dungeon (i dont think this has a demo so im guessing it was the GTI one you tried)

thought id note my complaints about the demo since i also didn't like it though. Maybe you could give me more info on why you didn't like so i could clear more up for you (hopefully)?

Yeah they did change a lot of stuff, and even though gates to infinity was pretty weak in terms of variety super mystery dungeon beats all of them (and well makes up for the mess nintendo made with that one in my opinion). I wont go into a huge burst of words here, but im guessing you played the gates to infinity demo ? I didn't like the demo that much since it forced you to do discover a magagate after some ways and this got boring to me since it was too tough and id die almost every dungeon but enjoyed the full game enough i ended up getting it and played for quite some time. If you want more expansion though better get super mystery dungeon (i dont think this has a demo so im guessing it was the GTI one you tried)

thought id note my complaints about the demo since i also didn't like it though. Maybe you could give me more info on why you didn't like so i could clear more up for you (hopefully)?

idk, I had one with an option where you had to put something in shape of a circle in front of the camera to open access to a dungeon. I remember I could do that even just putting my hand like this !

I didn't like the visual at all, and I think the music and noises weren't so good either... and it's like the game didn't have a soul, unlike PMD:RRT

idk, I had one with an option where you had to put something in shape of a circle in front of the camera to open access to a dungeon. I remember I could do that even just putting my hand like this !

I didn't like the visual at all, and I think the music and noises weren't so good either... and it's like the game didn't have a soul, unlike PMD:RRT

Yeah thats the thing i was talking about its says discover a magagate in the lobby (or whatever that weird word is i probably spelled wrong sorry) where id die most runs and it got boring after a while. While i know a demo is supposed to be limited and acknowledge that, i thought the gates to infinity demo was a bad demo but i bought the full version thinking id enjoy it more and i fortunately did :p

And yes they did change a number of things since the old mystery dungeon games such as regular attack only does 5 damage regardless of stats or level, and using moves is a must for optimal damage (regular attack is always bare minimum if i said that right) which i felt kinda sucked but i got used to it after a while fortunately heh

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games sure have interesting gameplay, that you play as a Pokémon and everything. So far I've played Explorers of Sky, Gates To Infinity and Super Mystery Dungeon. One of the best things in PMD for me, is the fact that the story are nicely done that it can give some feels, to the point it was unrivaled until Sun and Moon from the main series comes along.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games sure have interesting gameplay, that you play as a Pokémon and everything. So far I've played Explorers of Sky, Gates To Infinity and Super Mystery Dungeon. One of the best things in PMD for me, is the fact that the story are nicely done that it can give some feels, to the point it was unrivaled until Sun and Moon from the main series comes along.

I played explorers of time when explorers sets came out, and it was very fun with an amazing story however the one thing i feel it lacked was an ideal storage system for items. It kinda sucked how id get lets say 2 reviver seeds and instead of it saying reviver seed x2 it would double list the items separately even though they were the same thing which for me was a real space eater since i liked to get a lot of extras of stuff as backup and to be smart. Other than that the game was great :p

however the one thing i feel it lacked was an ideal storage system for items. It kinda sucked how id get lets say 2 reviver seeds and instead of it saying reviver seed x2 it would double list the items separately even though they were the same thing which for me was a real space eater since i liked to get a lot of extras of stuff as backup and to be smart.
I think this might be for the better in a way, because from what I saw in the game, if you're fainted in the dungeon (either due to hunger or low on HP), you might lose some of these items that you didn't store in the Kangaskhan's Storage/Deposit Box. This might be troublesome if let's say you have some TMs you want to learn but didn't have the chance to use it because you received a powerful blow early on.

Plus, I think this storage mechanic can help us learn on how to conserve items properly and all, judging when's the right time to use it, when to give it a space in favor of some items on the floor and whatnot.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Yeah! I like it a lot! I especially like the cartoons that go with these games that the Pokémon company released.

The first Mystery Dungeon game I played was Super. That was one game I wanted to try out when the trailers came for it. I heard a lot of good things from the dungeon series, and I wanted to give it a try. So I got the game, got picked to be Riolu and my partner was an Oshawott. I played and it was awesome!

So now I'm playing Explorers of Sky on the DS and Red Rescue Team on my Pi.

Reactions: Alegria
Good ol' Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Time/Darkness/Sky never changes for me and I never get tired of saying that :p I've played Gates to Infinity and it was absolutely the worst, with its boring story in addition with so many unanswered questions and missed potential and lack of post-game content. Never get tired of saying that either :p I've yet to play Super Mystery Dungeon.

Reactions: Duffy
I've only played explorers of darkness (or maybe it was time? One of them). I loved it, and I'll get around to the rest of the series eventually.

big fan actually, but have only played the first two stories, so thoughing though. Unfortunately my explorers of sky game is broken. (and even before i got around to finishing destiny tower)
Maybe i'll play the newest one some day, in 3d must be pretty nice.

It's my favorite Pokemon spin off series. I've played almost every game in the series (except Blue Rescue Team (I could but I didn't), the forgotten Wii games and Gates to Infinity because it looks bad...). My favorites are the second installments, especially Explores of Sky (just like Hikaiet), and Red Rescue Team. I actually like Explores of Sky more than some main series games.

Good ol' Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Time/Darkness/Sky never changes for me and I never get tired of saying that :p I've played Gates to Infinity and it was absolutely the worst, with its boring story in addition with so many unanswered questions and missed potential and lack of post-game content. Never get tired of saying that either :p I've yet to play Super Mystery Dungeon.

I thought gates to infinity was fun, but disappointed at the lack of recruitable pokemon (only 5th generation except pikachu, especially got bummed out when i learned kyurem was unplayable, and since he is my favorite pokemon with the best forms, its hard to get over how much this sucked for me). Super mystery dungeon was much improved and the story was much better, along with the music which got amazing when you get farther enough. While i enjoyed the grinding in gates to infinity and endless missions, those are two things along with variety that I thought better in super mystery dungeon.

I LOVED the gen IV games (Darkness, Time, and Sky), but haven't gotten around to the gen III or V games yet. I played Super (VI) when it came out for about 10 hours and though it was a little too slow and for me (not to say the IV games were fast) and put it down far a bit. Eventually I want to go back to it. (Fun fact: PMD: Sky was the first game that ever made me cry).

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and Alegria
Back