Spin Off pokemon super mystery dungeon: my favorite pokemon to use and why

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
theres honestly a very massive amount of pokemon you can try out in this game, and ive tried many of the legendaries myself, but my favorites to run through dungeons with remain unchanged: white kyurem and kecleon

so yeah, white kyurem is a popular pick in many games, but shes a major damage sponge in this game especially considering moves gradually become stronger as they are used. this means at maximum move level ice burn can wipe an entire room and most likely 999 damage which is absolutely insane. now, palkia has always had a great movespan too, but sadly now shes got that annoying fairy type hazard in some areas where spatial rend just wont hit unless you get a lucky type bulldozer emera (these arent horrendously rare, but its not optimal to try luck too much like this either). palkia could hit and wipe anything in explorers since there was no fairy type then, and sadly in super mystery dungeon they are annoyingly common in some places so i dont use her as much as white kyurem.

white kyurems AOEs arent the only reason i use her though. she has an ability thats a bug personal favorite to me--turboblaze. this seems like an easily overlooked yet incredibly useful ability, and terravolt is essentially the same for black kyurem, its just zekroms version of the same effect so dont panic if youre seeing black kyurem more than white kyurem when you open your presets (for some reason i roll white kyurem the most though, it may correspond to your chosen starters as ive fought white kyurem at altar of ice depths across a number of experimental runs on previous saves but black kyurem never appeared as the boss for me in this area. i picked both treecko and fenekin every time is why this is a personal theory atm but i may very well be wrong, i cannot say for certain but its a possibility. ive seen other people get black kyurem in the same area as the boss and they did not have identical starters to mine, but remember this is only a theory. i have not confirmed this and sadly lack time to rerun it all another 5 times to be able to confirm this). the only mild drawback with black kyurem is hes prone to some nerfage from common moves like growl and play nice that reduce attack, but blizzard and ice beam are simple alternatives for him if the game keeps being too stubborn with giving the right form. he still gets the same benefits from his ability which is great.

turboblaze and terravolt bypass some common and typically annoying abilities like sturdy (this can be a move burner in dungeons above 20 floors), levitate, flash fire, volt absorb, etc. any ability that gives immunity to certain kinds of attacks is completely ignored by this for those who dont know, sure, arceus gets a stab bonus for every type possible in this game, but youve still gotta hit those annoying rock pokemon twice because of sturdy, make sure you dont use earth power if a pokemon has levitate, watch out if judgement becomes electric and so on... its not bad, but it can definitely be a nuisance on casual longplay which ive done a lot of in this game. so i will likely be skipping destiny tower and stick to kyurems black and white forms since these abilities are so flexible for pretty much everything, and their movespans are some of the best as well imo. if you cant beat the boss at altar of ice depths, its ok. remember the ability comes from reshiram and zekrom with the fusion here, so just use them until you are able to take down the powered up kyurem there

so why kecleon for the second choice? well, a couple reasons. he has very good move variety (in almost all the games which is great), and if he gets high levelled enough he has stats that are all above 200 even without a single vitamin! Nothing to hate about this for sure, except getting him to level 100 that is lol... thats going to take me a while but im going to give my best to do it. how i found this out about him was by faking a level cap in open pass with several golden bananas (i didnt save after getting these dont worry lol) and after he hit lv 100 i resumed from my save before they were bought so i dont keep a wasted mound of gold bars over something this silly like a stat check. i only had enough to fake it from pickups gained grinding my way to 750 recruits so dont think these came super quick. Thats why i reset without saving when i did this

it will take me a bit to level him up, but its an easy carry with white kyurem and its been fun so far, he is lv 35 and i will try to get him higher soon =)

Back