Spin Off Pokemon UNITE

• Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
Pokemon UNITE is a 5 vs. 5 team battle game that's free to start. Developed jointly by The Pokémon Company and Tencent Games' TiMi Studios. It features crossplay between mobile devices and the Switch. Looking like the next eSport.
Gameplay:

Looks fun but I'd hate to fight someone who pays to get a better or higher leveled Pokemon than me. I'd still like to see what it's like though.

What are your thoughts?

I
Pokemon UNITE is a 5 vs. 5 team battle game that's free to start. Developed jointly by The Pokémon Company and Tencent Games' TiMi Studios. It features crossplay between mobile devices and the Switch. Looking like the next eSport.
Gameplay:

Looks fun but I'd hate to fight someone who pays to get a better or higher leveled Pokemon than me. I'd still like to see what it's like though.

What are your thoughts?
Pokemon league of legends. I was confused about something. Are the pokemon level ups permanent or are they temporary only for the rest of the match?

I

Pokemon league of legends. I was confused about something. Are the pokemon level ups permanent or are they temporary only for the rest of the match?
This was the only information about it I saw. It's still in development and there was a direct with this in it.

Reactions: Deepak
This was the only information about it I saw. It's still in development and there was a direct with this in it.
I saw the direct but was still a BIT confused.

Honestly, I don't care, however I was a little disappointed that it was all they shown today. Guess they revealed everything in the first direct.

It’s a no from me, dawg.

Man imagine making somehow a WORSE moba then what's already out there. Might as well call this game "whale simulator". Paying to level up the characters in any capacity is the stupidest idea and one of the greediest, regardless of if it's just in a match or overall. Goddamn pokemon, just when you where trying to defend the expansion pass lmao.

I also just want to make it clear that "free to start" is one of the worst phrases. It's literally just "we'll let you play until you're hooked with our psychology tactics then you'll have to pay an outragous amount". Somehow nintendo thinks that's just how all free games are and I don't understand why they're continuing with that model for everything, it's only just attracting whales.

im interested in this game,altrougth this sould have been show in the other direct ,i dont understand why the splitted it in two
Man imagine making somehow a WORSE moba then what's already out there. Might as well call this game "whale simulator". Paying to level up the characters in any capacity is the stupidest idea and one of the greediest, regardless of if it's just in a match or overall. Goddamn pokemon, just when you where trying to defend the expansion pass lmao.
emm, looking at league of legends(and this game is made by the same developers) ,it would be reasonable to think that this game would be a "pay for fast characters unlocks and not depending in luck to get the specific skin you want" unless they have massively changed the game from when i last played it (the toxic comunity made me uninstall the game, its a shame because i like the game itself) nothing there is "pay to win"
where did you saw anything about "paying to level up a character in a match"

I also just want to make it clear that "free to start" is one of the worst phrases. It's literally just "we'll let you play until you're hooked with our psychology tactics then you'll have to pay an outragous amount". Somehow nintendo thinks that's just how all free games are and I don't understand why they're continuing with that model for everything, it's only just attracting whales.
the only control nintendo has over pokemon is "if it gets released in a console, it will be OUR console"
also ,you say it like nintendo/gamefreak are the only guilty people of making pay to win games
also , each person has to be responsible of their money(also,in most of the casesthe whales pay a lot because they can afford it and want to) if in granblue(this game´s strongest characters are all F2P,and they are going to get even stronger,still via F2P ways) and Dragalia lost (nintendo has part of this IP and its developed by the creators of granblue) I can make uber strong teams, be able to save more than 300 free pulls in a relatively time and get the characters i want via not wasting my resources in every banner just for the sake of "catching them all" all without paying an euro then everyone can

Last edited:
emm, looking at league of legends(and this game is made by the same developers) ,it would be reasonable to think that this game would be a "pay for fast characters unlocks and not depending in luck to get the specific skin you want" unless they have massively changed the game from when i last played it (the toxic comunity made me uninstall the game, its a shame because i like the game itself) nothing there is "pay to win"

That's not "free to start" though. Also this isn't made by LoL devs (Riot games)? And *technically* it is pay to win anyways since there's bad characters and good ones where the bad ones are so terrible that even the best players play badly with them. The free rotations and such are luck and if you want to be consistantly high in the game then you'd have to pay unless you wanna grind out in the game.

the only control nintendo has over pokemon is "if it gets released in a console, it will be OUR console"
also ,you say it like nintendo/gamefreak are the only guilty people of making pay to win games
also , each person has to be responsible of their money(also,in most of the casesthe whales pay a lot because they can afford it and want to) if in granblue(this game´s strongest characters are all F2P,and they are going to get even stronger,still via F2P ways) and Dragalia lost (nintendo has part of this IP and its developed by the creators of granblue) I can make uber strong teams, be able to save more than 300 free pulls in a relatively time and get the characters i want via not wasting my resources in every banner just for the sake of "catching them all" all without paying an euro then everyone can

I think you misunderstood me. "Free to start" =/= "pay to win". They are not gacha games, they are not "you're able to play the full game for free but there's just a lot of microtransactions". I also say "nintendo" as a blanket term considering basically all of first party nintendo "free" games have been "free to start" and it's pretty much only them that use that term. Only exception I can think of atm is the jump rope game, and that's probably because it's too simple to make free to start.

With the point to "each person has to be responcible of their money" you have to remember what nintendo's target audience is. Children. Children generally don't have a good sense of money. This is why there's starting to be laws on gacha games and such because it was praying on children and vulnerable too much. There is also some people with incredibly poor impulse control out of their control and people suseptible to gambling addictions. Not everyone can just "control" impulses as well as a normal person for many many reasons. And the answer isn't as simple as "just don't" or "don't play the game".

Let me guess, someone can pay to get some gems to level up their Pokemon. And the phrase 'Free to Start' probably means you need in-game currency to unlock a new part of the game. BOOOOOOO

can we just get a remake of Pokemon Shuffle

That's not "free to start" though. Also this isn't made by LoL devs (Riot games)? And *technically* it is pay to win anyways since
bad characters and good ones where the bad ones are so terrible that even the best players play badly with them.
free to start and free to play are the same thing with a different name, also, tencent own riot games ,so in a sense, they are(after all ,they have the power to decide what and how to monetize things in their games)
also , while its true there are horrible characters, there are also very good characters that are fast to unlock withouth real money (because the price in game currency its based in how new the characters is, not in how good it is)

With the point to "each person has to be responcible of their money" you have to remember what nintendo's target audience is. Children. Children generally don't have a good sense of money. This is why there's starting to be laws on gacha games and such because it was praying on children and vulnerable too much. There is also some people with incredibly poor impulse control out of their control and people suseptible to gambling addictions. Not everyone can just "control" impulses as well as a normal person for many many reasons. And the answer isn't as simple as "just don't" or "don't play the game".
yes it is,if you have a problem like that ,its your responsability to stay away from what can trigger your addiction
its like i said "beers preys on people with problems with alcohol"
i have problems with anger, when i feel i can fail in something important (exams,for example) i can get way too angry,because some of my traumas are related to failure, but it still my responsability to control my emotions,
if a children plays a game with microtranstactions, then the parents are reponsible for that money ,that includes not leaving the credit card where the kid can grab it and not leave the credit card data in the device
also ,said credit card can be used for more than get ingame goods, and it its very diferent from a kid stealing money from the parents wallet , if your child does that to you(wich it shouldnt happen in the first place, via letting your money/credit card out of their reach) ,you should scold them, not play the victim card

also in a lot of cases i have seen, the "poor children" were old enough to know already that money isnt infinite its not good to grab your credit card

Last edited:
free to start and free to play are the same thing with a different name, also, tencent own riot games ,so in a sense, they are(after all ,they have the power to decide what and how to monetize things in their games)

First, no they are not. "Free to start"'s best example is mario run on mobile. That is literally "free to start", you cannot play the game fully without paying. "Free to play" is also in the name, it is fully free to play.
Secondly just because they have the same parent company doesn't mean they're the same devs at all. It's a totally different company working on this. That isn't how game studios work.

I see it's also a bit useless to try and debate on the second half since you're kind of missing the point still and I'm not sure how to explain it differently (and this is also going a bit off topic lmao). All I'll say about it is different people live different lives and it's not your place to say what they should or shouldn't control. Emotions and impulses are difficult especially if you have something that impacts that. It's also incredibly unfair just to say "you're not allowed anything like this then".

First, no they are not. "Free to start"'s best example is mario run on mobile. That is literally "free to start", you cannot play the game fully without paying. "Free to play" is also in the name, it is fully free to play.
Secondly just because they have the same parent company doesn't mean they're the same devs at all. It's a totally different company working on this. That isn't how game studios work.
except that mario run its not a "free to start/free to play" you dowload a trial version and those who like it can buy the full game
its like saying a lot of games are "free to start" because you can dowload the demo and buy the full game if you like it and transfer you savedata of the demo

Emotions and impulses are difficult especially if you have something that impacts that. It's also incredibly unfair just to say "you're not allowed anything like this then".
its not "you are not allowed anything " its about responsabity, if you truly cannot control yourself, then the healthiest thing you can do its to completely get away from your addiction,its contradictory to say "these games prey on children a people with addictions" and then protest because "its unfair to say they musnt enjoy it"
im am currently losing weigth,and the easiest way to not eat high calorie food too much, its too limit how much of it enters in the house,
then by your logic if unhealty people eat too much ice cream, candy, its because food companies prey on then and not because they of their own responsability
infantilizing people with self harming problems like that wont help them, it does the opposite,it makes them think they are justified in being a pure victim and makes them more unwilling to even seek help for their problems

ree to start and free to play are the same thing with a different name, also, tencent own riot games ,so in a sense, they are(after all ,they have the power to decide what and how to monetize things in their games)
also , while its true there are horrible characters, there are also very good characters that are fast to unlock withouth real money (because the price in game currency its based in how new the characters is, not in how good it is)

yikes. this conversation's getting heated. Honestly, i agree with both of you. As sky said, games like mario run are free to start and you cant play the full game without handing over some cash. But as eonia said, they could mean the same thing. The thing is, those two terms are used inter changeably sometimes. Not in ALL cases but a few cases. For example: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo...mes/Download-free-to-start-games-1369902.html. on the eshop, it has titles such as ninjala ,pokemon cafe mix, and asphalt 9 under "free to start" games. BUT, as far as i have seen, those games are all fully free to play except for some microtransactions for stuff like more content and in game currency, . So it all just depends on the situation. In this situation of pokemon unite, i'm guessing the full game will be playable, but will have better features for those that hand over money. i may be wrong so please feel free to correct me.

yikes. this conversation's getting heated. Honestly, i agree with both of you. As sky said, games like mario run are free to start and you cant play the full game without handing over some cash. But as eonia said, they could mean the same thing. The thing is, those two terms are used inter changeably sometimes. Not in ALL cases but a few cases. For example: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo...mes/Download-free-to-start-games-1369902.html. on the eshop, it has titles such as ninjala ,pokemon cafe mix, and asphalt 9 under "free to start" games. BUT, as far as i have seen, those games are all fully free to play except for some microtransactions for stuff like more content and in game currency, . So it all just depends on the situation. In this situation of pokemon unite, i'm guessing the full game will be playable, but will have better features for those that hand over money. i may be wrong so please feel free to correct me.
tencent(the owners of riot games, the developers of league of legends) are the ones who are developing this, so, as i said, the most probable thing is that it will be "pay for faster unlocks and not depending in luck to get the exact cosmetics you want"

Let me guess, someone can pay to get some gems to level up their Pokemon. And the phrase 'Free to Start' probably means you need in-game currency to unlock a new part of the game. BOOOOOOO

can we just get a remake of Pokemon Shuffle
I saw the direct and I think at the beginning of each battle each Pokemon starts at Lv. 1 making any Legend/Mythical instantly better if they are in. Also there are good mons that have no evolutions too so we'll just have to see.

Reactions: Jisenku
I saw the direct and I think at the beginning of each battle each Pokemon starts at Lv. 1 making any Legend/Mythical instantly better if they are in. Also there are good mons that have no evolutions too so we'll just have to see.
thats something that happens in every MOBA that uses levels, obviusly they arent going to make legendaries better on purpose, they arent going to sabotage themselves, and give players no reason to play with other pokemon ,wich would hurt sales from potential cosmetics

a precedent of legendaryes that werent automatically better is pokken´s roster you can find two versions of mewtwo and darkrai, however they arent automatically better just for being legendaries
i wonder how evolutions will work,¿ maybe the ones with evolutions will be weaker than average at the start of the match (while unevolded) but stronger than average when completely evolved, and the ones that dont evolve have a more consistent power grownth during the match?

I

Why is the Switch inverted

Attachments

• EbSMtzfX0AENMZN-3.jpg
    EbSMtzfX0AENMZN-3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Funny
Back