Poll: Is it worth having a Stealth Rocker and Spinner on your team?

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Is it worth having a Spinner/SR user on your team?

• it is worth having a Spinner

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • It is worth having an SR user

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • It is not worth it

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I want to know your opinions on this. Is it worth having a Stealth Rocker and Rapid Spinner on your team?
In the current Meta for the NA, entry hazards like SR are quite popular due to Pokemon like Volcarona and Talonflame. These 2 Pokemon are usually very dangerous. However, with SR, you can whittle their HP down enough so Talonflame will usually kill itself shortly, because of Recoil damage and Volcarona being vulnerable to a water type attack after an SR.
( I have killed a Talonflame with it's own Brave Bird + Recoil. + Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn, after it eats a SR)
Noting how popular these Pokemon are, you probably run one as well. Do you have a Spinner(web @Spinnerweb :p) to make up for their vulnerability to SR? Let me know in the replies below.

Reactions: 18
I think it's better to have both a SRer and a Spinner(web...hehe @Spinnerweb) on your team. Although, if I had to choose one from the poll, I'd go with SRers (Spinnerweb is useless) since there are lots of popular Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame that could potentially sweep/ruin your team. A Spinner is good to have to spin away the entry hazards, but it could easily be ruined by a Ghost-type, and there are some really good ghost spin blockers. I honestly prefer Defog over a Spinner.

I think it's better to have both a SRer and a Spinner(web...hehe @Spinnerweb) on your team. Although, if I had to choose one from the poll, I'd go with SRers (Spinnerweb is useless) since there are lots of popular Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame that could potentially sweep/ruin your team. A Spinner is good to have to spin away the entry hazards, but it could easily be ruined by a Ghost-type, and there are some really good ghost spin blockers. I honestly prefer Defog over a Spinner.
Agreed. Talonflame can wipe out your team like a bird picks worms :D
Although there are Spinblockers, you wont always have them in play. This way, the enemy can force you to switch and then he can set up SR. I agree, Defog is better than Rapid Spin but not commonly availablee

Reactions: CrazyElf
Stealth Rock is more situational and whenever I've faced a SRer I've had no real trouble getting around it. Unless your opponent has an all Shedinja Team you are wasting your time with Spinnerwebs or SR. Defog Skarmory/Mandibuzz is really where it is at over a Spinblocker because of Ferrothorn and Ghost type predict switch ins. Sure it can hit hard on a select few Pokemon but you shouldn't rely on SR. Personally I think it is a gimmick since in Gen 4 when it was introduced it wasn't used much to my recollection.

Oh, but you forgot about the threat from a Talonflame/Volcarona. A Talonflame with usually end uo KO'd by recoil and by the attack you use on it. Volcarona has amazing Sp.DEF, so a physical rock attack also works well.

While having a SR user can be advantageous in many situations, having a Spinner usually depends on whether or not you have Pokémon like Talonflame or Charizard that are vulnerable to SR. It's not a must to have one on your team, unless you need to avoid threats like sticky web, etc. You can have a team perfectly fine without one. In the case of SR, if you think your sweepers can be helped by denting the opponent through SR, it's great. It'll give you higher chances of getting rid of threats, and in some cases, stopping sturdy Pokémon so you can sweep them. But again, you can do fine without one.

I think it all depends on your stealth rock user. If you want one that can do dome damage as well make it a tank if you want to use it as just a stealth rocker at least make it worth it. I currently have a good entry hazard pokemon that is a wall as well. I suggest using something like Ferrothorn, I would put on stealth rock, spikes, leech seed and possibly a good attack if your not knocked out. But if you do make sure you have sufficient tanks and sweepers cause your basically going into a fight one down!

I was on pkm showdown earlier and made an ou team with a entry hazard pokemon. Here's the damage it can do! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-156008805

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 532
In my opinion, stealth rock is pretty useful. Sometimes your opponent doesn't have a spinner(web hehe @Spinnerweb ) so they can be caught off guard. I have yet to use a Spinner, though. I need to add a spinner to my team :oops:

Normally, the physical tanks on my teams just happen to be able to use Stealth Rock, so I figure, "Why not?" and just add it to the move set. I won't go out of my way to add in a Stealth Rocker to my team unless it's an entry hazards team or it needs it for reasons I can't currently think of. Though, Toxic/Toxic Spikes wins me more matches than Stealth Rock, though I see why Stealth Rock is preferred. As for Rapid Spin... I find that Defog is more versatile, but. similar to Stealth Rock, a few of my physical tanks can just learn Rapid Spin, so I don't go out of my way to add in a Defogger, if I can just use a Rapid Spinner and Stealth Rocker combo Two-For-One deal. :cat: Though, recently, I've just been giving Defog to my Special Sweeper. :)

I think a stealth rock user is almost viable on every team, but Rapid Spinnerweb is even more important! Ecspically if you have Pokemon weak to roc that use pan on switch out/in or just for switch-in once, it doesn't matter because once it loses 50% health, it can't switch in anymore before deofg/rapid spin. I would use rapid spin/defog first, then stealth rock if you want.

To be honest it would be very useful to have a pokemon with rapid spin so that you can clear off the feild of spikes,toxic spikes, ect. You could defenintly get ride of TalonFlame with Stealth Rocks since it is fire and flying it will be doubled damade for it I would use a priority attacker to finish it off real quickly before it will throw out another Brave Bird.

Actually I hink Mew is REALLY awesome if you can get your hands on one. It can learn Stealth Rock AND Defog plus a whole bunch of other moves smogon doesn't recommed for some akward reason >.<

Stealth rock has killed many of my Pokemon. ;~;

Setting up stealth rock makes predicting a bit easier. Since you set it up, your opponents will hesitate to switch in certain Pokemon. I think it's really useful because it breaks sashes, and sashes can make or break your whole game if both people are going 1v1. I don't have a rapid spinner/defogger on my team, but I have an Espeon, with the ability magic bounce. I think magic bounce is important, I can't explain how many times it has helped me aswell. Answer to your question, yes, it's important. :p

Wait wait wait... I only got three votes? :cry: It's worth having me on your team! :p

Nah, it's worth having a stealth rocker. You do a little damage whenever a Pokemon enters and you realize how much that damage is worth when a Pokemon you thought you'd defeated survives by a shred of HP. Also, @Warbird once did this trick with me that he used Stealth Rock in conjuction with repeated Roars, and that got all of their HP down. :panda:

It's having rocks and a spinner on your team. Some pokemon which set up rocks also stop setting up as the get roar of whirlwind and they can sometimes be quite hard to knock out with that. Rocks also means you have a massive advantage and you can easily predict as your opponent will dislike taking rocks damage and taking a hit which could potentially ko. It breaks sashes and abilities such a multiscale and sturdy. Whilst i do think it depends on the cores of the team, it is best to have both a rocks setter and a spinner on your team.

Back