Ultimate Possibly useless option added in 8.0 update (spirit rematch from collection list)

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
so i dont know all of the changes that were made during this update (dont you dare nerf byleth nintendo), but i checked out a newly added option in the spirits section. anyone here who knows me well enough when i play this game i do a lot of world of light playthroughs, spirit tests, and personal speedruns on this mode (i have a lot of fun doing this haha...). so after reading some of the 8.0 patch notes it seems they added a way to freely and endlessly rematch the spirits (non awakened) that youve fought before. i did a little bit of this after setting up my callie and marie miis (i bought these outfits immediately after seeing they got added, love them!) and entered a couple completely unequipped and sadly it only gave me a big chunk sp which i have more than enough of unfortunately. then i saw this saved total score displayed towards the side and i scrolled around a bit to look for a point exchange and that doesnt seem to be there either, we cant even convert it to sp or gold after getting a certain amount...

the only thing this seems good for is people practicing battles that were too hard to beat tbh. i feel like we shouldve had the same reward system that we did for our usual spirit battles instead of just large sp chunks... this might help people with less time to play but world of light regulars like me its kinda pointless, how do you feel about this rather (imo) strange addition to the game here?

Reactions: Deepak
so i dont know all of the changes that were made during this update (dont you dare nerf byleth nintendo), but i checked out a newly added option in the spirits section. anyone here who knows me well enough when i play this game i do a lot of world of light playthroughs, spirit tests, and personal speedruns on this mode (i have a lot of fun doing this haha...). so after reading some of the 8.0 patch notes it seems they added a way to freely and endlessly rematch the spirits (non awakened) that youve fought before. i did a little bit of this after setting up my callie and marie miis (i bought these outfits immediately after seeing they got added, love them!) and entered a couple completely unequipped and sadly it only gave me a big chunk sp which i have more than enough of unfortunately. then i saw this saved total score displayed towards the side and i scrolled around a bit to look for a point exchange and that doesnt seem to be there either, we cant even convert it to sp or gold after getting a certain amount...

the only thing this seems good for is people practicing battles that were too hard to beat tbh. i feel like we shouldve had the same reward system that we did for our usual spirit battles instead of just large sp chunks... this might help people with less time to play but world of light regulars like me its kinda pointless, how do you feel about this rather (imo) strange addition to the game here?
I was actually looking forward to it when it was announced in the trailer. Cuz there were some spirit battles that were unique or fun and i wanted to try them again but i couldnt and had to wait for it to show up on the spirit board. This way, you can fight any spirit whenever you want. It was also fun to fight spirits with friends and see who got a higher score (got stale in a while though). And i’m sorta a completionist when in comes to games and i like to collect everything. So after 100%ing world of light, i didnt know what to do and i just restarted it. But now there’s something else to do when im randomly bored. (Gotta 100% everything:D). So is this feature useless? TOTALLY. But do i like it? For sure!

I was actually looking forward to it when it was announced in the trailer. Cuz there were some spirit battles that were unique or fun and i wanted to try them again but i couldnt and had to wait for it to show up on the spirit board. This way, you can fight any spirit whenever you want. It was also fun to fight spirits with friends and see who got a higher score (got stale in a while though). And i’m sorta a completionist when in comes to games and i like to collect everything. So after 100%ing world of light, i didnt know what to do and i just restarted it. But now there’s something else to do when im randomly bored. (Gotta 100% everything:D). So is this feature useless? TOTALLY. But do i like it? For sure!
yeah it seems like its probably there just for fun or for the heck of it, if you dont get tired of world of light easily like me the extra sp probably isnt needed. i thought it would help me loot red snacks and board items easier but sadly it didnt. i dont hate this added feature but i probably wont be doing it much, maybe there just for a lesser competition like you suggested probably haha...

It's a neat addition so I don't have to wait around on the spirit board or replay WoL whenever I feel like fighting a specific spirit. But I don't use it too often, as I like online play more

Reactions: Kadaj
It's a neat addition so I don't have to wait around on the spirit board or replay WoL whenever I feel like fighting a specific spirit. But I don't use it too often, as I like online play more
i see, online is a bit too hectic for me so i usually either play solo or with legitimate friends. i dont have many characters im good with (my best are zelda, byleth, customized mii brawler, and then corrin last but i gotta work on her) so it can be hard for me to reorganize when things dont go well. im also not an expert and really just play the game to have fun.

as for world of light i actually love that mode and dont get tired of it easily =) so many good spirit builds/ setups to enjoy trying out and the bosses are also fun (except dracula, i dont like him at all.... beast ganon is also annoying because i have to jump behind him repeatedly)

i see, online is a bit too hectic for me so i usually either play solo or with legitimate friends. i dont have many characters im good with (my best are zelda, byleth, customized mii brawler, and then corrin last but i gotta work on her) so it can be hard for me to reorganize when things dont go well. im also not an expert and really just play the game to have fun.

as for world of light i actually love that mode and dont get tired of it easily =) so many good spirit builds/ setups to enjoy trying out and the bosses are also fun (except dracula, i dont like him at all.... beast ganon is also annoying because i have to jump behind him repeatedly)
I usually play with friends via battle arenas or local wireless play because of quarantine. But sometimes we actually play on a single system. I do agree that WoL is fun, but I don't think a large single player campaign is for me. I do like some large single player games like Xenoblade and Breath of the Wild; They just don't appeal to me as much as Super Mario Odyssey, Sunshine and Cuphead

I find it useless because I collected everything in the base game. Rematching spirits already existed with Spirit Board and items I had too many of. I get it Smash is a kids game and not everyone can "get gud" but having to play WoL twice to get everything on any difficulty you choose doesn't sound too bad. Spirit battles are fun yes but that is not the competitive view and if you don't beat them that's fine. There is no obligation you have to need Spirits anyway. It's just fluff.

I find it useless because I collected everything in the base game. Rematching spirits already existed with Spirit Board and items I had too many of. I get it Smash is a kids game and not everyone can "get gud" but having to play WoL twice to get everything on any difficulty you choose doesn't sound too bad. Spirit battles are fun yes but that is not the competitive view and if you don't beat them that's fine. There is no obligation you have to need Spirits anyway. It's just fluff.
I did like the trophies from previous games more. But I think fighting spirits is what I would do if I was alone for a few hours with Smash Ultimate as the only game to play.

Back