Prima Games is shutting down after 28 years

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
Heyo everybody! Samster here, with another great discussion!

So, as usual, I was browsing the latest Nintendo news this morning, and it looks like the strategy guide writer Prima Games is shutting down after 28 years of service. According to the publisher’s parent company DK, it was a “very difficult decision” to shut down the company. The decision was made due to a “significant decline” in sales. They will still release the Smash Ultimate guide, and possibly a few others before their demise. They are scheduled to close in spring, 2019.

How do you feel about this news? Did you ever read Prima Games? Are you disappointed? :eyes:

Reactions: Agentperson
I never read Prima Games, heck I never really ever heard of them. They must have been well known, though. Rest in peace..

Aw this kinda sucks. I know a lot of people really liked their guides, and even though I don't read them anymore, I have a few good memories of their products. I feel like they hung on for a long time though, during the internet/information era, so good for them at least in that regard.

Will the Prima website stay up? I have several online Prima guides, and if I lose them, I'm going to be pretty ticked off.

I've heard of the company, But haven't really picked up a guide made by them. The loss of sales is probably due to gamers reading online walkthroughs when they get really stuck (They are free and easy to follow, After all). That's too bad though, Maybe some other game-guide maker will finally take over the top spot. You will be remembered, Prima. :c

Reactions: EnderLord
I've heard of the company, But haven't really picked up a guide made by them. The loss of sales is probably due to gamers reading online walkthroughs when they get really stuck (They are free and easy to follow, After all). That's too bad though, Maybe some other game-guide maker will finally take over the top spot. You will be remembered, Prima. :c
I have to agree with you on the online walkthroughs part: Toys R Us and many major retailers are going out of business (I hear Toys R Us is making a comeback) because of the Internet and online retailers like Amazon and EBay. Online guides are also easy to access, and free. Why leave the comfort of your home to get something, when you can get it delivered straight to you? Shopping and getting information physically is starting to get outdated, and I guess people just don't want to get things themselves.

Reactions: Leej07
Back