program language to learn

• Thread starter codyplays
  • Start date
codyplays

codyplays

Pancake
Towns Folk
So I've been getting into codeing lately due to me wanting a career path as a video game developer(specifically a programmer/coder) so what language should I start with? I've heard that c++ and JavaScript could help me but I want to hear it from the experts here.

So I've been getting into codeing lately due to me wanting a career path as a video game developer(specifically a programmer/coder) so what language should I start with? I've heard that c++ and JavaScript could help me but I want to hear it from the experts here.

Depends on your taste and on the platform.
You want to make a game on an Apple Device ? Learn Objective-C.
You want to make a Web game ? Learn HTML5, and JavaScript, and maybe some CSS.
You want to make a game on Android Devices ? Learn Java/C++.
You want to make a game on consoles ? Learn C++.
You want to make a game on a computer ? Then, pick the language you want, and ensure that there are game libraries for it.

Also, I suggest you not to aim consoles. Consoles requires Development Kits that are quite expensive (ie. The WiiU DevKit costs 4000$), and your game must fit the company's policies.

Okay,I'm not making anything yet but I hope to later in life.just wanting to learn some stuff now so thanks.

probably a coding engine with built in c++ and c#​

probably a coding engine with built in c++ and c#​

Err... That's not a thing to learn when you start programming... Engines takes months or years to be built, and a lot of money for some of them, so, it's better to start with a relatively small project (a small game or a small program), rather than doing things like this.

Plus, C# isn't really portable, and only Microsoft uses it for their games (and a few indies), while C++ is the industry's standard it seems (C isn't forgotten too).

Back