SSBB Project M is over

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So a lot of people may have heard about the sad news from the Project M dev team. This notice was posted on the Project M main website:

Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant. We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!
The game may have not been perfect, but it was doing so well during the past 6 years that the mod was being played. However the team seems to have found constantly adding and changing things to the mod became stale, and eventually just dropped working on the mod period to focus on newer ideas. I used to play Project M a lot before I got Smash 4, mostly because I loved pulling off crazy combos in turbo mode. I actually got really good with Lucario and Kirby within the 2 years that I have played the game. I especially loved how they gave Kirby his Dash Attack from melee (The Fireball) and how his Up B could be used sideways to continue a ground combo. I also loved using Lucario for the great speed which he needed in Brawl and giving him more combos and strings to pull off with ease. I will miss receiving new updates for the game, but 3.6 will be the last patch they release. I'm not sure if PM will continued to be used for official tournaments from brawl or not though, but I hope they still do.

I have never played project M, but I've heard of the good things about it. At least the developers are going to be working on other projects in the future, so it's not all that bad. PM seemed to have an awesome community of competitive players, too. I don't think that will ever die off entirely, just because of how great PM is.

I just started playing PM a few months ago, but in that time I've grown to LOVE it. I love playing Roy and Snake. When i heard the news I died a little inside because I've wanted to start joining tourneys and such for it because I'm actually pretty good. I even just a few days ago got it on my computer to play online with people with Anthers Ladder, and ordered new GameCube controllers and an adapter for computer. I live in Germany where there is MINIMAL tourneys and I couldn't wait to get back to the States and join some but if PM falls out of popularity by then, I'm going to be pretty sad. My friend says PM will live on until something similar/better arises and I hope he's right. Luckily for me I have both the Hackless and Homebrew files already downloaded so i don't have to go did them out of the internet. Long live PM!

Reactions: MasterFluffy
I don't think PM is going anywhere, the original Smash games are still widely played with no updates of any kind. So I feel PM can do it too! My local tourneys are still hosting PM, especially as my region actually has a bigger PM community than the other games.

I don't think PM is going anywhere, the original Smash games are still widely played with no updates of any kind. So I feel PM can do it too! My local tourneys are still hosting PM, especially as my region actually has a bigger PM community than the other games.
How lucky! I hope to one day do tourneys. I think I'm good enough to compete!

Reactions: MasterFluffy
Yeah, the wait for smash bros 4 was unbearble so I used to play project m. It surely is not alternative to any official smash bros games and certainly nothing better than smash bros 4 but it was really fun and made the wait for smash bros 4 bearable. I wish these people good luck, maybe they can start to mod other games now!

I think it's a bit too dramatic to say that Project M will never die or something like that. If it's a huge game with people still playing it after all these years and it's still played in professional tournaments, then of course we won't see it dying off soon for at least a few more years. 5 years tops.

It surely is not alternative to any official smash bros games and certainly nothing better than smash bros 4
Lol, probably from your point of vue, but if it wasn't any better than official Smash games, that mode wouldn't even exist in the first place.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not going to die. People still even play Melee so they'll keep playing Project M.

People still even play Melee so they'll keep playing Project M.
Melee will never die unless another smash game with melee physics comes in the future (which I doubt)

Melee will never die unless another smash game with melee physics comes in the future (which I doubt)
Lol, probably from your point of vue, but if it wasn't any better than official Smash games, that mode wouldn't even exist in the first place.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not going to die. People still even play Melee so they'll keep playing Project M.
But I wonder what makes project M some important. They modded games, right, especially brawl. They had to stop eventually, I can see a reason why they would stop. 6 years guys, 6 years of modding brawl. That seems like enough, they should move on to something else.

But I wonder what makes project M some important. They modded games, right, especially brawl. They had to stop eventually, I can see a reason why they would stop. 6 years guys, 6 years of modding brawl. That seems like enough, they should move on to something else.
I'll speak like a caricatural competitive player so you see the point better :p

Basically, Melee is awesome but unbalanced and it's getting old (you can get fed up with playing on the same stages over and over). Brawl and Sm4sh can't be good replacements since Brawl is bullsheep and not better balanced, and Sm4sh is balanced but the wrong way and it doesn't have as interesting a gameplay as Melee.

Here comes PM. Same gameplay as Melee (with moveset changes and stuff, but same overall gameplay), balanced the right way, more interesting stages, "modern" graphics. It's basically Melee 2.

Super caricatural tldr: Melee is good but old and PM is the only Smash game that came after Melee that is worth playing.
Just look at how people still play Melee and you'll see why PM is important. All official Smash games that came out after Melee were despised by competitive players, but on the other hand they are sad to play a game from the last decade.

Well that's exactly what PM is :p
So yeah, that's why they'll keep playing both. Melee because it's more official and PM because it's better on certain aspects.

I'm kinda dissapointed. Knuckles and Lyndis were supposed to be almost done and added in to Project M. And I think they were also working on Issac. I think this is very sad because even though Project M is not "dead", I saw all of its potential in the fan service and new updates. But I feel like it might become stale after years to come and die. Cheers to Project M.

Back