PS PSA for Anthem on PS4 (and possibly xbox as well)

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
As I was looking through gaming news last night, I stumbled upon some posts on reddit by people talking about Anthem. It seems like as buggy as Anthem is, trying to close the game or when the game crashes, it actually can cause your PS4 to compleatly turn off and cause an improper shutdown. (this causes your console on next boot to go through and scan all your harddrives for like, 5ish mins) A couple of cases have been also reported where they've been unable to boot the console again causing the console to brick.

There's been only a couple of posts though about xbox's also doing the same thing, and it's not 100% confirmed, however people aren't trusting it either way.

This doesn't happen to everyone, however this is happening across all versions and apparently also been happening since the VIP demo, as well as happening across all ps4 versions (slim, original, pro etc). So if you have Anthem for console, I would strongly advise staying away from playing this for now, even if you're been playing it fine until now. The risk is still there.

There's no explaination to why this is happening, however the shutdowns only happen when the game crashes, or when you try and close the game (can also happen if you try and shut down the console while the game is open) then this then causes an improper shutdown as I mentioned earlier. This really isn't something I think any other game has managed to do before, cause this means that the game is causing the console system to bypass all error catches and well, dies. Something is attacking the system software in some unusual way. Considering it's not happening to everyone must mean that it either picks it's targets randomly, or something personalisable it triggering it. Either way, heed my warning or not, Anthem has gone from bad to worst game currently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - Sony at the time of reasearching this last night wasn't giving out free refunds. At least, not to everyone. Some people complained and got a refund back, others have had 0 luck meaning that those first people probably used their "1 time free refund".

Reactions: TerraKnight, Samster and AricAttack
UPDATE:

A supposed sony customer support worker came out on a post on reddit saying how there have been 0 reports of a "bricked" console due to Anthem, however the issue of the shutdowns does still exist.

People just don’t understand how to turn the PS4 back on and rebuild a database.

Another thing they mentioned was at first, people where getting refunds, however an order came from above to not give any refunds to people over this issue because "the issue can be patched".

This person even said "I don’t think you should play Anthem right now. I don’t think you should spend money in their store until issues are fixed.". So uh, yeah. Just give this game a wide birth and avoid it like hell on console, especially ps4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47454530 hey look, it hit bbc news as well lol

Reactions: TerraKnight
Back