PSA: Important update to Discord ToS

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
If you use discord I highly recommend that you read and do what I say here. If you don't want to read the legal stuff, please do read the bottom of this post and read the bits in bold.

As of October 16, 2018 discord updated their ToS. This change however came with a revocation of your legal rights.

What this means:
  1. Your right to file a complaint in the court of law is removed.
  2. The arbitration system tends to heavily favour the company rather than the consumer.
  3. Since your right to pool similar complaints together is taken away, the amount of damage you can do to a company that has wronged you significantly is limited to those who are willing to arbitrate.
This isn't an absolute huge issue. However, if you're in the US and something happens and you never opted out of this, you have no right to sue.
Is this enforceable?

If you're in the US, yes. In the EU no, GDPR and a couple other things protects you. Asia/Oceania, I'm not sure.

Is this official? Have discord put out an official announcement about it?

Yes - https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp...tos_update_revokes_your_right_to_sue/e7zfqw2/

What can I do?

Luckily, there is an opt-out for the clause, in which you must email [email protected], but you must do it within 30 days or you can no longer opt-out.

The body of the email must contain something along the lines of "I wish to opt-out"

Reactions: Mikaya and Samster
Back