Question on a problem >.<)/

• Thread starter Hikki
  • Start date
Hikki

Hikki

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I can't figure out this problem that should be easy >.<)/

There are 100 students in South High School. South High School offers only Chinese and Spanish. There are 8 more students in Chinese than in Spanish, and every student takes at least one language. If 37 students take only Spanish, then how many take both languages?

I know you have to use simple alegbra, but I can't put in the variable because there are 8 more students in Chinese than in Spanish, which refers to both and Chinese >.<

Could someone tell me the steps to do this? ;-;

This doesn't look like algebra, to be honest, and I might not really know how to explain this without basically giving you the answer, so if I do or if my trying not to makes this convoluted, apologies.

"37 students take only Spanish", which does not include those who take both languages. Eight more than 37 took Chinese, and the rest took both languages, so the two who took both don't change the difference in class sizes. The question tells you how many took only Spanish, and how many took only Chinese, so you just need to use those values to figure out how many took both.

Though I've just finished Statistics and haven't seen normal Maths in months, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Hikki
This doesn't look like algebra, to be honest, and I might not really know how to explain this without basically giving you the answer, so if I do or if my trying not to makes this convoluted, apologies.

"37 students take only Spanish", which does not include those who take both languages. Eight more than 37 took Chinese, and the rest took both languages, so the two who took both don't change the difference in class sizes. The question tells you how many took only Spanish, and how many took only Chinese, so you just need to use those values to figure out how many took both.

Though I've just finished Statistics and haven't seen normal Maths in months, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Thank you! I wasn't thinking straight or something, because we did a whole other problems like this, and they all required Alegbra to solve, so I must of gotten confused.

Spanish: 37 Both: 18 Chinese: 45 is what I got and its correct :O

Last edited:
Reactions: Icemario
Back