Questions about Analytic Ability

• Thread starter Hikki
  • Start date
Hikki

Hikki

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I am getting an Analytic Starmie and I am confused about how it works. Analytic boosts attacks by 30% if the Pokemon with the ability goes last. Smogen says this:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
It has 252 Spe EV's with it's high speed base stat! I read on how to use it and why the high EV's but it treated Analytic like it boosts attack if the Pokemon is first?!? I read on other websites and one said it works with a trick room team, but why invest so many EV's? I would do 150 Spe at most. Please help :(

The idea behind Analytic Starmie is to come in onto a Pokemon and force a switch, the opponent's switch in will take a Life Orb Analytic boosted Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Psyshock, etc.

Ohhh I get it. But it only has like maybe 2 moves with that boost. I still don't understand why you have you invest in speed EV's if all you need to do is force a switch. Is that because you need to go fast to make sure you force a switch? I don't get the logic of that.

Analytic gives a boost to every move a Pokemon uses if it moves last, you need to be invested in speed so Starmie can take advantage of its speed tier to get off a Rapid Spin and to outspeed threats like Gengar, Mega Gallade, Keldeo, Thundurus, etc

Ok I finally get it now thanks for the help. All I need now is some extra thoughts on this moveset. Psyshock and Rapid Spin is a must but I'm not sure about hydro pump or ice beam. Guess I could use Thunderbolt but it wouldn't really help with type effectiveness.

A Life Orb Analytic Hydro Pump is too powerful to pass up, BoltBeam (Tbolt + Ice Beam) offers great coverage but you would have to use either one over Psyshock or Rapid Spin, so I would only advise running both if your team doesn't struggle with Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr or Chansey and isn't bothered by hazards.

Yeah, it took me a while to find out also that Analytic didn't just boost moves when you move last, but also when your opponent switches which is pretty cool. Its pretty good on Starmie from my experience.

Back