Ranged vs Melee?

• Thread starter lludawg
  • Start date
lludawg

lludawg

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
Do you prefer a character who stays back and fires bullets or maybe uses magic to attack or do you prefer a character who likes to get up close for close combat attacks? I am a fan of staying back and shooting because I feel safer haha.

If this is ssf2 or ssbc I would say ranged,kamehameha and rasenshuriken are better at long range

In real smash I love mid to close range

I hate projectiles because they can be annoying when you are trying to dodge them or when you are trying to hit someone and they shield/dodge/whatever/counter. If you spam projectiles sure you could rack up some damage that way but if you are facing a good opponent then projectiles won't phase them. I do say it is good to use some ranged attacks to pressure opponents but don't depend on them. I prefer closer range most of the time (plus most smash attacks are close range so launching opponents is easier with melee/air attacks). Olimar has good range for example but that doesn't mean he can't punish with his (up close) air game and dash attacks and throws.

I like both but if I had to choose one it would be melee attacks. I like them because I always get this feeling of satisfaction when you land a seriously hard hit on your opponent and knock them off the stage. Also I like to play more offensive in smash but while doing melee attacks, I would still sidestep to avoid taking serious damage. However I see how people would like ranged so they could rack up damage. I actually do ranged attacks but only with fox's blaster. He is the only character I do it with because he's the only character I play as with a ranged attack.

I prefer staying away from my enemy and attack with projectiles, but when I have my enemy dashing towards me, I tend not to hold myself and use melee attacks. So yes, I use both. And I also use the items as projectiles (They are meant to be thrown at your opponent, right :D ?)

I used Zelda a lot in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and I LOVE her Din's Fire Side B move, it helped me so many times. I think I'm more of a ranged person, I kind of "avoid" other characters, until their percentage is high enough to take them out, I know certain people would consider that as dirty playing, but it's easier that way and a lot more fun! With Farore's Wind and Din's Fire, it's pretty easy to stay out of the close combats (Zelda)

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I like melee characters because I like being directly in the action. However, you often take a lot of damage and end up dying with maybe one kill. Ranged by itself gets boring because you're just aiming and clicking. I like players which have a combination of both as it lets me switch between playstyles to better suit a situation.

Back