RAR: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (Review)

• Thread starter TribstyAnn
  • Start date
TribstyAnn

TribstyAnn

Me.
Towns Folk
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is an anime based off a manga written band illustrated by Coolkyoushinja. The anime adaptation was produced by Kyoto Animation, and aired between January 11 and April 6, 2017. The series was directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto, written by Yuka Yamada, designed by Miku Kadowaki, and chiefly animated by Nobuaki Maruki.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, is about a woman, stuck in her dead end job, who befriends a dragon named Tohru that becomes her maid. It follows their adventures together, and how Tohru, as well as the other dragons adapt to their new world. This premise is fairly cliche and forgettable, and I can think of many other anime with a similar, monsters living in a human world premise. However this show is anything but cliche and forgettable.

The place where Dragon Maid shines the most is in it's characters. While the story itself isn't the most interesting, I felt invested just because of the characters. The way they interact with each other, and how they are designed just makes them feel like real people almost. Tohru wanting to be the best maid ever to please Miss Kobayashi, while Miss Kobayashi is fairly indifferent, is just so fun to see play out.

The contrast between Fafnir and Makoto Takiya, is wonderful as well. It's great to see how Fafnir, a dragon who hates humans, becomes friends with one by an interest in video games, and similar traits. The parallel is also drawn between them of Fafnir hording treasure, and rather being hidden in his cave with his gold, and Taikya being an otaku with his house filled his own otaku treasures, and how they bond over it it very well done. It shows that no matter how different people seem, they still can have something to connect them.

The comedy is also well done. It hard to describe, but there are short little portions of the show between scenes, with like 30 seconds devote to a short clip of one character, that are often very funny. Kanna is also adorable, probably my newest favorite anime character, and her interaction with Kobayashi and the other characters are adorable.

That's not to say the show is perfect though. There is some fanservice in the for of Lucoa, that sometimes feels forced and out of place for the otherwise clean, family friendly show. Also Kanna and Riko Saikawa have probably the cringiest yuri relationship ever. I'm not the biggest fan of yuri to begin with, but it always seemed super creepy since they are, like, 7 year old kids. These are fairly small instances in the show, but they did distract me from my enjoyment of it somewhat.

The final episode was also a bit of a disappointment. I won't go into spoilers, but I'll just say it wasn't quite I was expecting or hoping for.

Overall, it was an anime with a regrettable premise, that it redeemed and made wonderful with good humor and delightful characters. There were a few things that bugged me, but they were more aof a personal preference, and may not bug everyone.

Final Score: 8/10

i felt, the same way about the last episode, i whist there was more. What is your favorite chacter and episode

Back