Rate my (Showdown) Doubles Sun Team

• Thread starter Captain Kdynce
  • Start date
Captain Kdynce

Captain Kdynce

the Enby
Towns Folk
I've been working on this team for a few months trying to find a good way to combine all these pokemon that aren't used as often on Sun teams as others before I bring the set to Omega Ruby. I do use the typical Heatran and Venusaur, but I tried to diversify my options with the less common Pokes than usual.

heatran.gif

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

entei.gif

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Sacred Fire

solrock.gif

Solrock @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 92 Atk / 164 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

meganium.gif

Meganium (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Sunny Day
- Dragon Tail

trevenant.gif

Trevenant (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp

venusaur.gif

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Entei and Heatran are the quick leads that bring SR and the Sun out so that the rest of the team can capitalize, since Ground is fairly common and a weakness they both share. I put an Air Balloon on Heatran to encourage a Rock Slide rather than an Earthquake first turn, which usually allows for Entei to get off a STAB+Sun Sacred Fire while Heatran can use a STAB+Sun Heat Wave. Flash Cannon and Iron Head are Steel type attacks to cover Fairies that come out if the leads survive to see Venusaur or Trevenant. Solrock is the main Sun provider after Entei is gone, and when it gets too low on HP, it can just Explode while I switch in Trevenant to avoid team killing.

I feel like I have one too many Grass types, but Venusaur has always been solid for me and I really love Trevenant as a SubSeeder. I like having Meganium as a screener, but it just doesn't seem to do much, and Leaf Guard almost feels like a wasted Ability. I may switch him out for a Solar Power Heliolisk, but I feel that it may not be quite fast enough.

Reactions: PalD2
Meganium can be way better than what you have right now. For example, since this is a Sun Team why not have it learn Synthesis and SolarBeam.

I would recommend a good Follow Me user so that Meganium could safely setup Reflect and Light Screen. Although I would have to agree that Solar Power Heliolisk would be a much more essential to this team.

If you wanna compare sun teams, you can check mine as well: http://forum.3dspedia.com/threads/a-generic-sun-team-double-battles.27854/

I haven't tested this team yet but I think it would be pretty solid after a few adjustments here and there.

Reactions: Captain Kdynce
Yeah, I was trying to have Meganium fill a role I don't really have on this team, but it just doesn't seem to be meshing in with the rest of the team. I have an idea for a Solar Power Heliolisk here:

Heliolisk (M/F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Parabolic Charge
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse

Hyper Voice and Parabolic Charge both get STAB and being in the Sun increases Heliolisk's insane Sp. Atk to be even insaner, and PC is to mitigate some of the damage Solar Power will bring in. Grass Knot wrecks heavy Ground types like Tyranitar, Hyper Voice hits behind Substitutes and Dark Pulse covers Psychic types that can harm Venusaur.

WHY PEOPLE INSIST ON USING SOLROCK IN SUN TEAMS (or using Solrock at all)
It looks like the sun, but that doesn't mean that it should be used on a sun team

Well, the first thing that I can see is that you don't have a Drought user, nor something to handle opposing weather

Also, this is a Sun team, but no one is carrying Protect, and Protect is like... the best move in doubles... period

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Sleep Powder

The Speed allows you to outspeed Jolly Scarf Landorus-T
Life Orb gives you a greater punch, Protect is Protect and Giga Drain gives you some recovery, while it still works under other weathers, improving your matchup against Rain and Sand

You don't have a mega, and since this is a sun team, I recomend you to use Mega Zard Y

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

248 HP EVs and 64 Def EVs allow Mega Charizard Y to always survive a Return from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, while also surviving to Stealth Rock twice. 108 Speed EVs ensure that Charizard always outruns maximum Speed Breloom, as well as other positive-natured base 70 Speed Pokemon, which allows it to KO Breloom before being hit by Spore. The remaining EVs are dumped placed into Special Attack to hit as hard as possible.

Honestly, all the mons (except Venusaur and Heatran, and Entei a little bit) are not really good in doubles, not even with Sun.
To improve this team, you need to change pretty much your entire team, and I don't know If you would enjoy that

My personal recomendation is to make your team less Sun dependant, having up to 2 Pokémon that NEED Sun (Venusaur) and the rest should be stuff that work really well under Sun, without being bad without it (Mega Zard, Heliolisk), Pokémon that have no benefits or drawbacks of being under the sun or not, and mons that do well against other Weathers

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-viability-rankings.3535930/

This site can help you to choose your Pokémon for a doubles team

And this Youtube Channel can give you general advise in doubles battles

Heliolisk? Quick claw.

Heliolisk? Quick claw.
Choice Scarf outclasses it, having that 10% chance to be faster is not really reliable

I've been working on this team for a few months trying to find a good way to combine all these pokemon that aren't used as often on Sun teams as others before I bring the set to Omega Ruby. I do use the typical Heatran and Venusaur, but I tried to diversify my options with the less common Pokes than usual.

That's why I have Solrock on my team and no Drought users. I'm not looking to go full meta on my team, I want some originality and diversity.

That's why I have Solrock on my team and no Drought users. I'm not looking to go full meta on my team, I want some originality and diversity.
There are better ways to be original than using Solrock... like using Cherrim, but Solrock even in the gimmickiest of teams is not that great idea.

Also, you still should use more Protect... and be less weather dependant

Solrock has decent bulk and attack power when its EVs are split that way, so I've experienced mixed success with it. I also forgot to mention I've been doing Triples, not Doubles >.>

I switched out Meganium for a Rhydon for a little more type coverage.

Rhydon (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Sp. Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rototiller
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Rototiller is a tough call because it's so situational, but I've seen it turn Venusaur and Trevenant into absolute monsters because Rhydon is so tough to push through.

I also added Protect to Trevenant, Venusaur, and Entei, and got rid of Will-O-Wisp on Trevenant, Synthesis on Venusaur, and Sunny Day on Entei. Heatran now carries Dragon Pulse instead of Stealth Rock and an Assault Vest as its item.

I just like to try out wacky stuff no one would expect. I'm not trying to go by smogon's top rated sets just because they're rated that way, I want to come up with ideas and try them out.

"Solrock has decent bulk and attack power when its EVs are split that way, so I've experienced mixed success with it. I also forgot to mention I've been doing Triples, not Doubles >.>

Oh, if is triples then I can't help at all, I have 0 knowledge in triples"

Also, Solrock's bulk is not even near decent, and has an awful defensive typing, and offensive stats, and bad movepool, and is even worse under the sun (Ironic, I know), and is even worse in doubles and triples.

"I just like to try out wacky stuff no one would expect. I'm not trying to go by smogon's top rated sets just because they're rated that way, I want to come up with ideas and try them out"

That's a great way to play it, just one tip, try to not use abusive gimmicks, when I say this, I mean that never make a team dependant of a gimmick, because, if you lose the gimmick is GG

Also, you could add Mega Houndoom, is really underapreciated, and very good in Sun

Rhydon (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Sp. Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rototiller
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

That set is kinda making you weaker to other weathers, I would reccomend you to use a Bulky water that can work under sun to fix it

Choice Scarf outclasses it, having that 10% chance to be faster is not really reliable
Yeah, I see your point, but Choice Scarf only allows one move, meaning you can't go with an all-out offensive on Heliolisk to quickly defeat most opponents. I don't think it would work with any choice items, because nasty plot is probably needed for max damage output.

Yeah, I see your point, but Choice Scarf only allows one move, meaning you can't go with an all-out offensive on Heliolisk to quickly defeat most opponents. I don't think it would work with any choice items, because nasty plot is probably needed for max damage output.
Oh, in a Nasty Plot obviou0sly you shouldn't use Choice Scarf XD

In that case, I see the point of QC, but imo, using an item with a 100% chance of success would be better, since Heliolisk already has a nice speed tier

Back