Razer Announces Android TV-Powered Micro-Console

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

Here's yet another set-top box heading into the already crowded market vying for your living room. During Google's I/O keynote this morning, Razer announced plans for a micro-console powered by the just-revealed Android TV interface.
Not much is known by this unknown Razer Hardware, but I'll let you'll know if anything interesting comes up. I don't think it would last at all in this crowded market, but who knows, no specs/features has been announced as yet, so I can't judge it harshly yet. Razer may be able to take the lead in making Android TV an entertainment hub like Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV. So let me know what you think. :)

Razer_Microconsole_JPG_WhtBg_678x452.jpg

EDIT: "The device will stream movies, music and other apps for large-screen entertainment with a focus on gaming for Android-powered TVs. The micro-console will be navigable using using an app on any Android smartphone or tablet. Android TVs will have voice control built-in. The Razer micro-console is slated to launch at an affordable price in hopes of capturing a wide range of customers this fall.- Source"

Really interesting I love the idea but it's seem for me it almost look like the game console they've created to play on tv the difference is that it can watch tv and download movies almost as a computer

I think that this box will end up like the failed Ouya. The Ouya was supposed to be a hackable Android powered games console but it really didn't deliver on anything. It was not much more powerful than the leading tablets and even smartphones and it also had a lack of quality games. It had a mediocre controller and a host of other issues that really made it one of Kickstarter's most successful failed projects.

Another "supposed to be a console" machine running Android... I have nothing against Android, but for me, it's something made for smartphones and tablets, and not TVs or things like that.

So, just like @sodajet said, it might or will end up just like the Ouya. A total fail.

Hmm, this will be interesting but I doubt it will be successful. Nice idea but why android TV? it's not suited for that type of medium, imo. :p

Back