Retro Track: N64 Rainbow Road Thoughts?

• Thread starter fantanoice
  • Start date
fantanoice

fantanoice

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
What are your thoughts on the new version of N64's Rainbow Road?

I'm in two boats. On one hand, I like that they made it shorter, because the full length would be such a pain online, especially if it got chosen a few times in succession. However, I do miss it being long because of my nostalgia goggles.

I like the orchestrated version of the music, though I still find the N64's version to be more transcending. You know, like I'm actually in the sky somewhere.

My favourite thing about the new track is the train, just because it looks really pretty. I do miss the pictures of the characters in the sky, though.

So yeah, I'm on the fence about which one I prefer. I like aspects of it, though a lot of the neat ideas conflict with the things I liked about the original. Go figure.

It almost seems too short now. I think they should have embraced it's huge length in N64 and maybe shortened it to 2 laps. Still would be longest race in game but not ridiculous like in N64.

As other said, the biggest complaint is how they shortened it. Other than that, I absolutely love it! The music is really good as well.

It almost seems too short now. I think they should have embraced it's huge length in N64 and maybe shortened it to 2 laps. Still would be longest race in game but not ridiculous like in N64.
I know what you mean. The entire race feels shorter than a single lap of the N64 version.

I know what you mean. The entire race feels shorter than a single lap of the N64 version.
It IS shorter...even if it got a full 3 laps in Mario Kart 8, it would still be a total 3 minutes shorter in a normal loop through the track.

I like the track, it may not be the same as I remember it to be, but I do believe they did add the character pictures in the form of fireworks exploding. I like the music and the fact that the background is more double-dash based since that rainbow was over a city.

It's really pretty and exciting i reallly love the track but it's a little hard to manover

What are your thoughts on the new version of N64's Rainbow Road?

I'm in two boats. On one hand, I like that they made it shorter, because the full length would be such a pain online, especially if it got chosen a few times in succession. However, I do miss it being long because of my nostalgia goggles.

I like the orchestrated version of the music, though I still find the N64's version to be more transcending. You know, like I'm actually in the sky somewhere.

My favourite thing about the new track is the train, just because it looks really pretty. I do miss the pictures of the characters in the sky, though.

So yeah, I'm on the fence about which one I prefer. I like aspects of it, though a lot of the neat ideas conflict with the things I liked about the original. Go figure.
N64 Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 8 I think was a very good course although like other people said it feels to short. I had no problem taking up about 6 minutes to complete all three laps. Now it feels way to short,not enough time to embrace the nostalgia of the course. And about the new Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 8 its great but I wish it were split into sections like Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road. Despite that the new Rainbow Road is very fun.

It feels too different from the original :c

If there were nothing to compare it to, it would be an amazing track I think, but the original N64 Rainbow Road set the bar too high.

I personally thought MK64's rainbow road is too long at this point in time. It feels like it takes less time to complete an *entire* lap (not just a section). I love the nostalgia I get from the course though. It was and is a very fun course back on the N64 and the WiiU

It a fun track but easy to fall off and be rammed off. Great for rockect bill powerup

I actually liked the longer version. The longer version was harder because you had to spend more time not getting bumped of the track. To me, that was always more fun.

It looked very pretty and look advantage of the Wii U's power.

I don't really think it was too short or too easy, I see it as ''Ok, You faced enough abuse from the red shells, blue shells and lightning bolts, You can have your Happy Ending now''. :artist:

It should have been 2 laps, it's way too short. Shorter than SNES Rainbow Road.

Altho it's still way better than the new Rainbow Road.

The retro rainbow road is always a fun race although the turns can be pretty sharp sometimes. I used to race on it a lot in Mario Kart 7 since it's pretty short and lets you get 10 coins everytime if you race it correctly.

Back