Riolu: Copycat + Roar Priority Phazer

• Thread starter MMMs
  • Start date
MMMs

MMMs

After 2 years, I'm Back!
Towns Folk
Hey guys MMMs here lol

After studying the META games of the previous generations, I came about a Pokemon that I was looking for to create my new singles team and its Riolu!

Gaining its Hidden Ability, Prankster, Riolu gained one of the most useful, and honestly annoying, ability, Prankster! What Prankster does, for those who doesn't, it makes status moves gain +1 in priority. Meaning, its status moves are as fast as Quick Attack, Mach Punch, etc. Roar, one of my favorite moves, is used by Pokemon to shuffle Pokemon that gain pluses in their stats (Swords Dance, Double Team, etc.) back to zero.
With this in mind, popular shufflers like Skarmory, Dragon Tail Tyranitar, etc. can set up Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail, Roar, Whirlwind them away and the Pokemon that gets switched in gets a taste of Hazards.

Roar + Stealth Rock is a viable strategy in todays META and I was thinking, what if a Prankster ability Pokemon can use Roar? Would it be a Priority Move?

As I saw an answer, Pranksters only make Pokemon gain +1 in Priority so instead of -6 Roar gains a priority of -5 instead. But as another person replied, you can use copycat with Riolu after using roar to make roar a priority move! I thought it was impossible and if it were a viable combo, it would be nuts! After watching several videos, I was amazed and flabbergasted that there was such a Pokemon! :D

Anyways, here's the set I'm planning to make lol

Riolu@Focus Sash/Eviolite
HP 248 Def 112 SpDef 96 Spe 52
Nature: Careful
Roar
Copycat
Drain Punch
Substitute / Protect

Here, I can either use Focus Sash / Eviolite. It depends on you lol. Eviolite increases it's defenses by 50% but Riolu is still as brittle as a wet paper towel so I think it wont take a Brave Bird from a Talonflame. Focus Sash can take 1 Brave Bird but that's it, only 1 Brave Bird but Priority makes up for it lol

*Sorry to say, as of Gen 6 this set is no longer viable as Game Freak nerfed Copycat and roar

Well, see ya next time guys lol

Last edited:
Back