Rocket League changing to free-to-play with cross platform support

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I would hate to buy a game and then find out it became free-to-play, but it's probably for the best to keep the playerbase strong, considering I believe it's an online multiplayer game. They're also considering adding cross platform support too, which benefits this too, but I'm not sure when they'll be done with that.

The free-to-play change is expected to be made later this summer.
Cross platform support will be added at a later date.
Psyonix said:
What does this mean for the Rocket League gameplay you know and love? The core gameplay will remain the same, but we are refining the main menus to make exploring the game easier. Plus, we’re revamping and improving major features like Tournaments and Challenges, and introducing cross-platform progression! Rocket League action on the field will still be the same core, high-octane hybrid of sports and action you love today, and soon, even more players will share that love. That begins with Rocket League’s release on its newest platform: the Epic Games Store.
People who purchased the game before free-to-play launches will get:
  • All of the game's branded DLC that were released before free-to-play access.
  • 200+ common items upgraded to “Legacy” quality.
  • Dieci-Oro Wheels.
  • Golden Cosmos Boost.
  • A Huntress Player Banner.
  • An Est. 20XX title displaying the first year you played the game.
Do you think these rewards are enough for players who purchased the game?

What do you think about the game becoming free-to-play and the introduction of cross platform support?

Yess. I really wanted to play this game. And now its gonna be free! Woohoo

There's already cross platform support though, you can play with people on other platforms. The save migration is new though.

On PC this gets more complicated however. The steam version is being removed and it'll only be on the epic store from now on. Since epic brought this it's been a bit of a mess. No one on steam knows how we're going to get treated and I wonder if this cross platform progression is a way of epic telling us steam people to gtfo off of steam before our licenses are removed which would be incredibly rude. We don't know if we're going to continue getting updates or DLCs, we most likely wont be able to buy any new DLC and it's just a mess the more you think about it.

It's nice that it's going free to play but that's just going to introduce so many more hackers. The player base was already strong before so idk why they decided to go this route already.

Reactions: Deepak
I’m pretty sure this was a PS Plus free game a long time ago. So for some players, it kind of already was free.

I would hate to buy a game and then find out it became free-to-play, but it's probably for the best to keep the playerbase strong, considering I believe it's an online multiplayer game. They're also considering adding cross platform support too, which benefits this too, but I'm not sure when they'll be done with that.

The free-to-play change is expected to be made later this summer.
Cross platform support will be added at a later date.

People who purchased the game before free-to-play launches will get:
  • All of the game's branded DLC that were released before free-to-play access.
  • 200+ common items upgraded to “Legacy” quality.
  • Dieci-Oro Wheels.
  • Golden Cosmos Boost.
  • A Huntress Player Banner.
  • An Est. 20XX title displaying the first year you played the game.
Do you think these rewards are enough for players who purchased the game?

What do you think about the game becoming free-to-play and the introduction of cross platform support?
If it's becoming free-to-play, then the player base will be really big, considering how big Rocket League has become these past few months. It has a really fun concept about soccer, but it's cars. But I'm not very interested in it, as I'm not really the competitive type. I don't get mad when I lose, but I do get very frustrated (mad) when I go down a rank. It's just that I don't want to see something I've worked hard for go away so quickly. However, if I was someone who enjoy the concept of cars playing soccer, I would rather get a refund rather than the new content for players who bought it. According to this post, I get cosmetic stuff (which I'm not a fan of. I would rather have more stuff rather than play dress up if I had to spend money) New stuff (which is fine, if it's worth it) and the paid DLC (I feel bad for the players who bought the game and also bought the DLC. That sucks) So if I did purchase the game and all the DLC, I would feel very frustrated, because I've just wasted 20 USD for cosmetic items. I think the DLC does make the change from paid to free-to-play justifiable, as I get all of the DLC, plus a ton of new players to play with (a larger player base, like what you said) . But if I did own the DLC beforehand, I would probably get REALLY frustrated / mad, and stomp all around the floor, knowing I wasted my money. I would probably even complain to the store I bought it from to get a refund! I guess I'm a terrible person :(. I hope they give more free stuff to the people who did purchase the DLC beforehand. Luckily, I'm not a car fan nor a soccer fan :p

Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap*

Seriously, what were they thinking? I actually think the player base is going to go down drastically because some people just don't like Epic Games and/or they don't want to install a new game launcher. There is definitely going to be a sharp incline of people joining, but a few months later, a sharp decrease in players till eventually, it will slowly go down to nothingness.

I love how they are trying to use the 'Rocket Pass' system to make it so that people will be more invested in the game, and play it more than other games. While subscription services are normally better for the player and the company (the company gets more loyalty and the player gets more rewards) I still think that this will crash hard.

Also, assuming that you buy the 'Rocket Pass', that is going to be about $9 USD a month (maximum price) depending on the number of credits you buy. That means that you are probably going to be spending about $108~$110 a year (had to estimate really small decimals) for this 'Rocket Pass', and even to get anything you still need to play the game A LOT.

Like I said before:
Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap* Cash Grab! *clap clap clap*

Also, the Llama-Rama event means that Rocket League is now in the Fortnite metaverse. Your welcome for ruining Rocket Leauge!

this is corperate tactic often employed to garner as much cash in the long term as possible even though changing base game itself from paid to free to play is done overtime , they include new microtransactions to gather more funds overtime.
this type of manuver that this company is doing wont go away anytime soon and other companies also do this but i personally do not like it or support itas i never played this game and have no plans to however i watched youtube videos of them playing this game in the background while talking about various things.

It's not like the game was that good anyways. There's no story, nothing that can make you better or worse than anyone playing without getting essentially limited run DLC. It's like getting the game on discount because you waited for a sale like every other game. It might bring more people into playing it. It might bring less people into continuing it. More or less I just hope whoever wants the game has tried it and found that it's just an average game and move on or find it fun to play with friends.

Back