Roll number unfairness

• Thread starter CJ
  • Start date
CJ

CJ

You not gon' ge me!
Towns Folk
Have you ever been advantaged/disadvantaged for being a particular roll number, for giving you choice for extra curricular, sports or anything like that?

I remember the time when I wanted to go into snack making for my extra curricular. The choices were taken according to roll number. When my turn came, the slot was full and I had to pick something else.

This is among the only things I remember. Thankfully, this is not a common thing in my school. Another thing that is a lot more unfair is when we have competitive exams, most examination agencies arrange the names alphabetically for people who scored the same marks. The people whose names start with the first few letters of the alphabet, therefore, get advantaged.

In my exams that just went by I got one of the last roll numbers which meant a longer anxiety-filled wait before you could give your oral exam. Otherwise not really ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only time my position in the class roster really made a difference was when the teacher was going in alphabetical order for stuff. Since my last name puts me towards the end of the roll, I usually had to wait longer to present or do something. I'm not sure how course selection was really done. We usually picked our top courses that we wanted and had a back up or two in case our top choices filled up. I don't think it was really done alphabetically though.

These days, the instructor just passes around a sheet of paper and students sign up for what they want. The only class I had at community college that used the roll for stuff was my public speaking class, and he just did that for the sake of simplicity. He also alternated it, so people who had last names that started with A would go first for one speech and people who had last names that started with Z would go first for the next one. I've only had two courses at the university level that actually use the roll for stuff. One is my history course I'm currently enrolled in, and even then, he said he'd take volunteers first for our presentations we start on Tuesday. (There's also only like 10 of us in the course at this point, and there's 25 enrolled apparently but 15 don't show up ever.) The other is a world literature class I had to take last semester, and she had our final creative projects done in alphabetical order rather than letting us pick and choose dates. Most of my other professors have only used it when making students present after all the volunteers have gone and there's still students that have to present.

Back