[Rumor] Nintendo replacing its "multiplayer server system"

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
The popular dataminer, OatmealDome, found something interesting :eek:

Apparently, Nintendo plans to change the current way it lets players connect with each other to play games online. OatmealDome revealed that Nintendo is going to change its current multiplayer server system, titled 'NEX', to a newer system named 'NPLN'.

The first game found to make use of NPLN is the Monster Hunter Rise demo.

@Sky :pepe:
OatmealDome said:
Nintendo is replacing its multiplayer server system, NEX (used in most, if not all of their online games since 3DS/Wii U), with a new system called NPLN.

The Monster Hunter Rise demo was the very first game to use this in public.
OatmealDome said:
I talked about what NEX is in my article about Splatoon 2’s matchmaking and netcode: https://oatmealdome.me/blog/splatoon-2s-netcode-an-in-depth-look/

As I said there, NEX is at least 18 years old by now, so it’s dated. Hell, the Splatoon 2 version has an unused function to check to see if it’s running on Windows 98.
OatmealDome said:
Common question: Will result in better online?

For now, probably not.

Nintendo’s primary goal is likely to make this transition as seamless as possible - to make sure that you don’t notice that anything changed.

Once done, then they can add new things or improve existing ones.
What do you guys/gals think? Do you think the new system will be better than the last?

Reactions: Mizunil, Jisenku, Gram and 1 other person
The popular dataminer, OatmealDome, found something interesting :eek:

Apparently, Nintendo plans to change the current way it lets players connect with each other to play games online. OatmealDome revealed that Nintendo is going to change its current multiplayer server system, titled 'NEX', to a newer system named 'NPLN'.

The first game found to make use of NPLN is the Monster Hunter Rise demo.

@Sky :pepe:

What do you guys/gals think? Do you think the new system will be better than the last?
Hopefully this improves smash bros online.

Reactions: phofufury
Hopefully this improves smash bros online.

Smash is peer to peer, so unless they change that, this is only going to affect very few first party games, splatoon 2 being the main one.

Otherwise it'll just be 2nd and 3rd party games that are effected by it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku and Deepak
Smash is peer to peer, so unless they change that, this is only going to affect very few first party games, splatoon 2 being the main one.

Otherwise it'll just be 2nd and 3rd party games that are effected by it.
Wait they think peer to peer connections are a good idea? *looks at Zoom (the video chatting app)*

• Funny
Reactions: phofufury
Wait they think peer to peer connections are a good idea? *looks at Zoom (the video chatting app)*

Majority of nintendo's online is peer to peer. Which is why the online sub is so dumb.

Reactions: Jisenku
Majority of nintendo's online is peer to peer. Which is why the online sub is so dumb.
WHAT?! >:(

Nintendo’s primary goal is likely to make this transition as seamless as possible - to make sure that you don’t notice that anything changed.
I don't have many high hopes/expectations for it, since the goal is essentially to keep it the same. The online isn't terrible right now, (also depends on the game) so pretty cool leak. Hopefully Nintendo finds a way to improve and optimize it over time.

Reactions: Jisenku and phofufury
Sounds good but it probably won't affect me very much. I knew Nintendo was in the past but if they tested Splatoon on a Windows 98 computer then why even get a Wii U or Switch. :p

This is exciting! I haven't loved the online so I just hope it gets a little better. THat's all I want.

“Windows 98”

I heard about this news on discord and twitter. It feels crazy that nintendo has been using the same servers for 15 years i think. It kinda explains alot though sadly.... Hey at least they are finally upgrading it which is good. Also it explains like many nintendo games are just peer to peer connection.

Back