[Rumor] PS5 might be backward compatible with PS 1-3 games too

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
It's been confirmed that the upcoming PlayStation 5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games, but there's a new rumor going around how the console will also be backward compatible with PS1, PS2 and PS3 games as well.

The rumor emerged from Twitter user PSErebus who said not to throw away or sell/trade your PS 1-3 games. PSErebus is known for leaking PlayStation-related information, but I'd still recommend taking this rumor with a pinch of salt, like all rumors.

What do you guys think? Do you feel the PS5 will be backward compatible with PS1-3 games too?

Reactions: Alex
I'd heard that it would be a while ago but until it's confirmed, we'll never know. But if it is that far backwards compatible, that might make my mind up on getting it since I have a ton of old PS2 games lying around I'd love to pick up again.

Reactions: Marc
that might make my mind up on getting it
You're not planning to get one? Or just waiting until more PS5 games come out?

You're not planning to get one? Or just waiting until more PS5 games come out?
I am, but since I have a PC, I doubt I'll be in any rush unless some amazing exclusives come out, so I'll either wait for that or until it drops a bit in price.

Reactions: Marc
The hackers getting the emulators, then we have good PS1-PS3 emulation, and possibly PS4

The hackers getting the emulators, then we have good PS1-PS3 emulation, and possibly PS4
What?

oop... I didn't give enough context

I'm not sure how emulation works exactly, but if you can use the same emulation that the original Playstations uses, you could easily get amazing emulation.

I'm not sure how emulation works exactly, but if you can use the same emulation that the original Playstations uses, you could easily get amazing emulation.
This has nothing to do with hacking.

So uh is burning PS1 games on CDs okay if you are wanting to try them out (if it works on the new console)?

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku

emulation attempts to emulate the hardware of the console. Each console has different hardware, and newer and newer consoles have more and more protections against emulation as well as the emulators themselves needing better and better computers to be able to run them.

emulation attempts to emulate the hardware of the console. Each console has different hardware, and newer and newer consoles have more and more protections against emulation as well as the emulators themselves needing better and better computers to be able to run them.
True, but I mean that if the PS5 has emulation all the way to PS4, 'hackers' could reference from the source code of the emulation itself, and make emulators based off of said code

True, but I mean that if the PS5 has emulation all the way to PS4, 'hackers' could reference from the source code of the emulation itself, and make emulators based off of said code

what?

1) PS4 emulation even still has quite a ways to go, PS5 isn't even going to be thought of until like at least 2 years after release
2) ps1/ps2 and ps3 to some extent already have emulators lol. 1 and 2 have perfectly working emus

what?

1) PS4 emulation even still has quite a ways to go, PS5 isn't even going to be thought of until like at least 2 years after release
2) ps1/ps2 and ps3 to some extent already have emulators lol. 1 and 2 have perfectly working emus
and i just ooped

Man I hope so. I'd love to finally be able to play SMT Nocturne and the DDS games. Not to mention PS3 titles like the first Red Dead Redemption.

Back