Sakurai reveals why Kirby was the character who survived

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
Heyo everybody! Samster here, with something pretty interesting!

When seeing the trailer for World of Light for the first time, did you wonder why Kirby was the one who survived? After all, they could have picked anyone. Or could they? Sakurai revealed today why he chose Kirby as the character to live through Galeem’s attack.

"We needed a solid, convincing reason for why said character could outrun Galeem. All fighters possessing “normal” abilities were immediately disqualified. Given that its assault enveloped the ends of the galaxy, only a vehicle that could defy the laws of physics would work. Even short-distance teleportation wouldn’t be enough.

Some of you may have forgotten, but Kirby’s Warp Star has been able to, y’know, warp since his very first game. That alone made him a pretty solid contender. The only other two fighters that could have survived would have been Bayonetta or Palutena. That said, Bayonetta’s enemies from Purgatorio (a hellish other world) were turned into Spirits, so it wouldn’t have made sense for her to escape. Other divine beings like Hades were also turned into Spirits, so there was no way Palutena could have survived, too."

Do you agree with Sakurai? Should they have had a different character survive?

Reactions: Duffy and P2.0
Yeah, I could see how Kirby would've made it. I was also kinda confused how Sonic didn't survive the attack, but then I remember him trying to save Pikachu, and that could've made him slow down enough to get caught. :')

Other than that, I really don't see how anyone else could've made survived. Although I kinda wish the Inklings could've. Like, the light didn't destroy the ground, as far as I know. They could've been safe, hiding in the ink. But that's just my thoughts. :p

Reactions: Samster
Yeah, I could see how Kirby would've made it. I was also kinda confused how Sonic didn't survive the attack, but then I remember him trying to save Pikachu, and that could've made him slow down enough to get caught. :')

Other than that, I really don't see how anyone else could've made survived. Although I kinda wish the Inklings could've. Like, the light didn't destroy the ground, as far as I know. They could've been safe, hiding in the ink. But that's just my thoughts. :p
I can see how Kirby made it too! At first, I thought it was a super major nod to Smash Bros Brawl, when Kirby is the only one left standing after Tabuu’s first attack.

Also, I agree that the Inklings should have been saved. I mean, they’ve been through so much! I can’t believe the ink didn’t save them. But oh well. :p

Reactions: P2.0
I could see two other characters surviving. ROB because he's a robot. How can a robot have a spirit? Does he have some sort of digital soul? Mega Man is more of a man so he could be a spirit. Also has Sakurai even played Super Mario Galaxy? Rosalina's Observatory can allow you to travel from galaxy to galaxy almost instantly (also using Launch Stars which do the same literally any character can just grab that item to escape and same with Warp Stars). Grumble grumble.

Reactions: P2.0
tl;dr He was a character made by Sakurai, so he had to escape so he could do something important.

I could see two other characters surviving. ROB because he's a robot. How can a robot have a spirit? Does he have some sort of digital soul? Mega Man is more of a man so he could be a spirit. Also has Sakurai even played Super Mario Galaxy? Rosalina's Observatory can allow you to travel from galaxy to galaxy almost instantly (also using Launch Stars which do the same literally any character can just grab that item to escape and same with Warp Stars). Grumble grumble.
I saw what you did there. :sneaky: *Grumble, grumble*

So it's because of the Warp Star that Kirby's able to survive, huh? I'm glad that Mr. Sakurai remembered how Warp Star got its name, then. What surprises me was when I heard that he also considered 2 others like Bayonetta or Palutena, but then, because Kirby's much easier to play, he's ultimately chosen as the sole survivor.

the enemy destroyed a good part of the universe, sonic would need the chaos emeralds to turn into super sonic and scape, and even then it may not be enougth

the enemy destroyed a good part of the universe, sonic would need the chaos emeralds to turn into super sonic and scape, and even then it may not be enougth
No, not nessecarily, cause he can already run the speed of sound without the Chaos Emeralds. If he hadn’t tried to save Pikachu, he probably would’ve survived.

On a technical level, it was the right choice because Kirby is easy to learn. His attacks are great introductions to new players of smash bros. And his 6 jumps are very forgiving for new players.

On a story stand point, the warp star makes amazing sense. All the other characters were totally surprised by the devastating attack by galeem, but in the scene after shulk forsees the attack, it seems like the camera angle is coming from kirby's point of view (below mario's height...) which makes sense that shulk turned around and drunted and waved at the camera. He was warning kirby (who's perspective was the camera's perspective) because shulk knew no one else could survive. So it also makes sense from a story perspective.

No, not nessecarily, cause he can already run the speed of sound without the Chaos Emeralds. If he hadn’t tried to save Pikachu, he probably would’ve survived.
still, he would need a way to travel in the space, and unless sonic tranforms...he cant

If kirby had warped, where to?

Back