same-sex marriage

• Thread starter Doctor Strange
  • Start date
Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange

Master of the Mystic Arts
Towns Folk
OK, today Nintendo announced that Fire Emblem: Fates is going to allow same-sex marriage in the game. So we already know that the marriage system is coming back from Awakening and Genealogy of the Holy War which introduced it. So Nintendo did this because they wanted to appeal to a broad array of their fans. I guess Nintendo allowed this because it is a T rated game and so they don't expect little children to play it. So what are your thoughts on this?

Hopefully they have the marriage system the same way it was in Awakening, cause I'd rather not accidentally marry the wrong two characters, but this doesn't really affect the way I'll play the game, so I don't care too much about it.

Apparently, its version exclusive, if you want two male characters in an S rank relationship, you'll need the Conquest version of the game and if you want two female characters in an S rank relationship, you'll need Birthright version of the game, there will be a third version available later as downloadable content where both options will be available. Honestly, if you are going to have a marriage system in your game, you can't exclusively cater to just one sexual orientation, it needs to reflect your audience and needs to just as diverse.

Apparently, its version exclusive, if you want two male characters in an S rank relationship, you'll need the Conquest version of the game and if you want two female characters in an S rank relationship, you'll need Birthright version of the game, there will be a third version available later as downloadable content where both options will be available. Honestly, if you are going to have a marriage system in your game, you can't exclusively cater to just one sexual orientation, it needs to reflect your audience and needs to just as diverse.
Can't blame them for not doin it in Awakening, it could've screwed up the Child system.

Can't blame them for not doin it in Awakening, it could've screwed up the Child system.
Well, even though there were very few female characters in Awakening that didn't have children, they could have some characters be exclusively heterosexual for the system to still work, although in a world filled with magic, I don't find it completely unreasonable for a male character to be capable of giving birth.

Reactions: Robyn
Well, even though there were very few female characters in Awakening that didn't have children, they could have some characters be exclusively heterosexual for the system to still work, although in a world filled with magic, I don't find it completely unreasonable for a male character to be capable of giving birth.
That'd be a whole different debate on whether they can change anatomy xD

They allowed this because they're listening to their fans and want to appeal to them, age has nothing to do with this.

That said, while I'm all for sexual diversity in video games, I'm sooooooo glad they're only doing one of each support because having to do that for a ton of them plus all the child supports and stuff there already is would be murder.

The child system is still present in FE:Fates. If your avatar marries a character of the same sex, they'll adopt a child.

I don't mind. If Yoshis and Birdos and Vivian can exist in the Mario universe why not this. It's not like the parents or hardcore RPG gamers would care imo. If it can be a layer of games like Mother 3 then why not other Nintendo games.

although in a world filled with magic, I don't find it completely unreasonable for a male character to be capable of giving birth.
I laughed a little xD

I think having only 1 character for each with the option of being gay is fine. I feel like 50/50 of the characters would deter buyers. A few more would be nice though. Especially since Zero and Tharja-clone are stereotypical.

Yay, Nintendo learned from their Tomodachi Life misstep! Having to choose a version for your gender if you want proper representation seems to be a low blow by Nintendo, though... Still, broad representation means more people play which means everyone's happy! Now we wait for the $5.00 "Chrom fanfiction" dlc pack.

Reactions: Moon Rain, Yukine and Artisan
I totally agree to what they do i mean they just legalized gay marriage well in new York at least thats about what I know they realize some people are "different" and they want to appeal to those different people to make more sales and make them feel better I mean in bully scholarship you could kiss a boy

Back