Sandisk MicroSDXC 1TB Card Melts Partially Melts Nintendo Switch

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Imagine spending all of that money for Sandisk's microSDXC 1TB card for it to damage your Switch console. The Reddit user who goes by the name NefariousZhen, reported the incident and it could have been caused by a potentially defective microSD card.

He shared a pic of his damaged Nintendo Switch:

O0zxhmA.jpg

As you can see, the microSD card slot on his console melted and he believes the cause is the card.

What do you guys/gals think?

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku
I'm pretty sure this is fake. For one, the SD card itself looks near untouched, when the switch is heavily burnt. If the SD card was outputting that amount of heat (which is where the heat would have come from as that top bit of the reader has literally nothing worthwhile on it) then it would have been burnt a crap ton more then just a tiny spec of brown.

Secondly, SD cards shouldn't be receiving that much power to be able to heat up nearly that much.

I would say this is just a hoax, if it was real then the most likely explanation would be that something short-circuited and the switch was damaged previously to inserting the card. That wouldn't really explain the positioning of the burn though.

EDIT: Just took a closer look at the image. Look at the screw, someone's really badly attacked that with a screwdriver and I presume opened it up. OP on reddit claimed that it was scratched by their nail as they pushed in the card........ yeah no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jisenku and Marc
I'm pretty sure this is fake. For one, the SD card itself looks near untouched, when the switch is heavily burnt. If the SD card was outputting that amount of heat (which is where the heat would have come from as that top bit of the reader has literally nothing worthwhile on it) then it would have been burnt a crap ton more then just a tiny spec of brown.

Secondly, SD cards shouldn't be receiving that much power to be able to heat up nearly that much.

I would say this is just a hoax, if it was real then the most likely explanation would be that something short-circuited and the switch was damaged previously to inserting the card. That wouldn't really explain the positioning of the burn though.

EDIT: Just took a closer look at the image. Look at the screw, someone's really badly attacked that with a screwdriver and I presume opened it up. OP on reddit claimed that it was scratched by their nail as they pushed in the card........ yeah no.
To be honest, it just looks like the OP attacked the Switch with a screwdriver, then put a lighter to it, and the Micro SD Card just to get some drama going.

To be honest, it just looks like the OP attacked the Switch with a screwdriver, then put a lighter to it, and the Micro SD Card just to get some drama going.

If the switch was opened with that kind of aggression then I'd imagine something inside got damaged. Potentially that could have been what caused this issue, if they damaged the electronics for the sd card slot somehow, or even intentionally done something, then it could cause it to short out and heat up rapidly.

It's just the fact that they gave a dumb lie about why the scratch was there on the screw is what makes me believe this is fake even more.

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku
I never seen a switch get this hot let alone melt an sd card. It could be fake as others are saying. I agree something doesn't add up since the sd card is untouched yet the slot is a bit burnt. It's pretty bizzare. This is also my opinion but I find it bizzare you need a terrabyte of storage for your switch. Just my opinion but you do you.

Back