Selecting a "Core" for a team?

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So I did a bit of research in the aspect of Teambuilding, and I noticed that a lot of successful teams have a very strong "core" which the rest of the team is built around. I always wondered, what do people do to determine what Pokemon(s) they want to use for their core? Do they go with their favorite Pokemon, or do they try to make something happen in battle and determine a core among that?

Another thing I want to know is how should you build a team around your core? Should you try to cover the most threatening counters and checks to your core, or should is there more to it?

I realized that if I knew how to properly teambuild, I could probably be a much better Competitive Battler, but I have trouble understanding the main process of Teambuilding, so that's why I'm asking here >.>

So if you can help me out with this, I'd be grateful >.>

Reactions: PalD2
Yeah, teambuilding can be hard, specially in a metagame that is changing constantly.

But ussualy people choose cores that they like, and that's it

I could say, I like the Pidgeot+Talonflame core, and build around that

Ussualy cores are either:

1.- Two (or more Pokémon) that check and counter each other checks and counters (Keldeo + Bisharp)
2.- Two (or more Pokémon) that have similar checks and counters, and they weaken them for the other (Thundurus + Mega Manetric)
3.- One (or more Pokémon) that help another Pokémon to be more effective (Excadrill + Hippowdon)
4.- Two (or more Pokémon) that are good against different playstyles (Mega Lopunny + Manaphy)

Starting with a core makes teambuilding much easier for the fact that you already have 1/3 or even 1/2 of your team made, that you know that already works well, so you just can add Pokémon (or cores) that help the cores work better

Hopefully this helps Ü

Reactions: 3905
Yeah, teambuilding can be hard, specially in a metagame that is changing constantly.

But ussualy people choose cores that they like, and that's it

I could say, I like the Pidgeot+Talonflame core, and build around that

Ussualy cores are either:

1.- Two (or more Pokémon) that check and counter each other checks and counters (Keldeo + Bisharp)
2.- Two (or more Pokémon) that have similar checks and counters, and they weaken them for the other (Thundurus + Mega Manetric)
3.- One (or more Pokémon) that help another Pokémon to be more effective (Excadrill + Hippowdon)
4.- Two (or more Pokémon) that are good against different playstyles (Mega Lopunny + Manaphy)

Starting with a core makes teambuilding much easier for the fact that you already have 1/3 or even 1/2 of your team made, that you know that already works well, so you just can add Pokémon (or cores) that help the cores work better

Hopefully this helps Ü
I was thinking of trying a UU Core with Espeon and Chandelure. Does that sound like a good core or not?

I was thinking of trying a UU Core with Espeon and Chandelure. Does that sound like a good core or not?
Since Alakazam dropped to UU, there is no reason to use Espeon

You should use two Pokémon that help each other.

Defensively, they get destroyed by the same stuff, while offensively, both can't hit Dark reliabely, they both get 6-0 by Blissey, and Chandelure only takes out the steel types that Alakazam have trouble with, while Zam does nothing really for Chan

A good partner for Zam would be a Bulky Fairy type like Florges, that helps him with Dark and Bug types (You still have 4 Pokemon to check Blisaey with)

Other good partner would be any Pivot, like Zapdos and Darmanitan

Finally, an SD user (Like Cobalion) helps forcing switches

Since Alakazam dropped to UU, there is no reason to use Espeon

You should use two Pokémon that help each other.

Defensively, they get destroyed by the same stuff, while offensively, both can't hit Dark reliabely, they both get 6-0 by Blissey, and Chandelure only takes out the steel types that Alakazam have trouble with, while Zam does nothing really for Chan

A good partner for Zam would be a Bulky Fairy type like Florges, that helps him with Dark and Bug types (You still have 4 Pokemon to check Blisaey with)

Other good partner would be any Pivot, like Zapdos and Darmanitan

Finally, an SD user (Like Cobalion) helps forcing switches
Core:
alakazam.gif

Alakazam @Life Orb
Magic Guard
Timid Nature
252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Spe.
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam

florges-blue.gif

Florges @Leftovers
Flower Veil
Calm Nature
252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk, 252 Sp. Def.
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Aromatherapy
That seems pretty decent. Steel types kinda bring trouble for both of them, so I was thinking this could help them out:
chandelure.gif

Chandelure @Choice Specs
Timid Nature
252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def., 252 Spe.
-Heat Wave
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Fire Blast
Is that pretty solid, or should it be switched around?

voltswitch/uturn core is lolz

Back