Serious or Cartoon Zelda?

• Thread starter Seredimas
  • Start date
Seredimas

Seredimas

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
I love zelda games. To me, there has always been two types of zelda graphics, serious or cartoon. An example of serious is Twilight Princess, and an example of cartoon is Wind Waker. I have always loved the serious graphics over the cartoon ones. It seems the new zelda is moving towards the cartoon side. Cartoon or serious, which do you perfer?

Reactions: zekiebouy
I agree with you here, while the cell shaded graphics are always pretty and colorful, the more realistic graphics make the world that much more epic and threatening. In my opinion, Twilight princess is by far the best looking Zelda game to date, Skyward Sword isn't even close.

I like both styles, anyway i amkind of more familiarized with the cartoon like style cause I ve played the wind waker and skyward recently and they look amazing. I agree with the idea that the non cartoon like zelda is more interesante to be visually appreciated than the others. It seems the new one will be cartoon like

I prefer the cartoon style, mainly because of the nice graphics, Toon Link (I like him better than normal link). It's just more colorful, welcoming and not so dark. Suits the younger audience too. Hopefully they can do better than cel-shaded graphics in the future though. Some new type of cartoon style tech. xD

I prefer serious, since I grew up with games such as OoT and others like the 2D Links Awakening, I personally am not a huge fan of the cartoon style Nintendo switched quite a bit to :/

I feel like if Zelda did become a show, I feel like it should be drawn in the style of Attack on Titan I could be wrong but that's how I picture Twilight Princess at least.

Reactions: zekiebouy
I prefer cartoonish Zelda games because I feel like it's more attractive to everyone. It could be in between cartoonish and realistic and Ocarina of Time. I personally don't prefer the Twilight Princess Graphics.

Darker graphics feel limiting, like not being able to make one of the places a vivid fountain with flowers around it. (It would end up looking like a graveyard.) I love the art style in Windwaker, and by far, it's my most favorite graphics in the LoZ series. I love the ridiculously tiny characters with the big buff ones. I also remember that old little man on Windfall that I used to run away from. yep... I prefer cartoony stylish graphics :D

Reactions: Mikaya
Both artstyles have their merits to be honest. Wind Waker graphics kinda add to its timeless appeal while Twilight Princess graphics make things seem a lot more epic. Skyward Sword was the middle ground and I have to say it seems like a good representation of the franchise as a whole. I mean, even the art for other games like A Link Between Worlds follow it and it works well

Reactions: fireworkdragon
I liked Ocarina of Time remakes graphics a lot since they were quite more serious looking but still bit cartoonish. Also Wind Waker style and Twilight Princess style are both amazing in their own way

I prefer cartoon Zelda. Cartoon being about as realistic as Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword Zelda is cute af.

Whoa I thought this was about Zelda herself LOL, well I still prefer cartoony Zelda games anyway.

Does A Link Between Worlds count as "cartoon"? I haven't played a "serious" Zelda game before, which is one of the reasons why I want MM or OoT soooo badly. However Link Between Worlds was really great. It was a great game (although it took you a while to figure out where you were going and what you were supposed to do)

I really like both styles since they are both very memorable and fun to play . It really makes the Legend of Zelda series very diverse than to just be one style . I really liked how cute the characters on Toon Link in Wind Waker / Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Tracks looked . and the serious link was really something cool to play

I liked both styles, although I like serious more than cartoon. To me, serious is what gets me emerced with the game. I can actually get adjusted to the gameplay (I play better with serious games) and it matches the personality of Zelda games. An adventure is serious, a boss battle is usually serious, and exploring a dungeon is also serious. Zelda looks like she can actually defend herself with the serious personality, and she does by helping you fight Ganon.

Both can be fun. But I guess I lean forward towards Toon Link (his appropriate name, just putting it out there) because The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks was my favorite game in the series and that I have played Four Swords: 25th Anniversary Edition and The Wind Waker before. The only game I've played with Link is Zelda II and I didn't like it.

I like both, but Toon Link always grabs my attention more.

That depends on many things. Most of the time, cartoony style seems to pull me towards it. But if I’m feeling edgy or dark, then Twilight Princess, lol

Both are awesome, but I probably prefer dark and mature themes, mainly because Zelda rarely goes that route, and it’s always interesting to see how characters from the game series behave in that scenario.

Zelda has so many art styles that I think making each design and tone change different from the other defines the series at this point. Personally I like 3D versions realistic and 2D ones cartoony or an option for 8-bit. 16-bit is probably my least favorite as far as 2D Link goes.

Back