Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster announced for Switch

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
This was a surprise to me but I'm glad to see it made a reality.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster has been announced for the Nintendo Switch. The game will hit the console in Spring 2021. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne was originally released on the PlayStation 2 some years ago.

I wonder if they're going to include the guest characters in this remaster.

What do you guys think? Are you surprised?

Reactions: Artisan, Hibiki_Kuze and Deepak
Buying this with a Switch on day one, or after V depending on which gets released in the west first. I've always wanted to play Nocturne after seeing nothing but praise from SMT fans.

Reactions: Marc
Being the first SMT released for a game console in the US I'd be glad to give ATLUS my money. I think it would be great in introducing me to the mainline games. I really like that it introduced the one element in the story that links all the games to a multiverse but that's as much as I remember from looking at online.

SMT has always been a series I’ve heard about but never had a chance to play. I’d have to see more gameplay to know if it’s something I’d like though.

All I know is it’s what Persona branched off from and it’s a more bleak setting with no social links.

I’d have to see more gameplay to know if it’s something I’d like though.
Just imagine Pokemon for people who are 17+ years with much higher difficulty and darker.

This is one of the early boss battles from the PS2 version:

It's basic turn-based combat like Pokemon. Nocturne is supposed to be brutal where buffs and debuffs decide the tide of a tough boss battle, so it's probably not the best game to start with. People do rage quit in SMT games, trust me.

I always recommend one of the Devil Survivor 3DS spinoffs or Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse to start with. The original SMT IV is the main protagonist's story while Apocalypse is the same time frame but from a new character's perspective who doesn't get involved in the events of what occurred during the SMT 4 story, if I'm remembering all of this correctly.

Basically, don't assume SMT IV Apocalypse is a remake of SMT IV. They tell two different stories.

The original SMT IV isn't really newcomer friendly IMO because it'll leave you stranded after a specific part of the game and you'll have to fend for yourself. Apocalypse has a guidance system that helps show you where you have to go next.

Gameplay looks like:

Overworld:

Moving-in-SMT4-A.jpg

Battle:

smt4a-battle-scenes.jpg

It's not the same as Nocturne or Persona because it's on the 3DS but the turn-based mechanics are sort of similar. It looks more like battles you'll find on a handheld dungeon crawling game, but it's still a lot of fun IMO.

I do hope the remastered version of Nocturne adds more demons and improves some of the outdated skill mechanics.

Reactions: Gram
It's been confirmed that Devil May Cry's Dante will return as paid DLC for the game. He'll be part of the Maniax Pack valued at $10 US. If you choose to play with him, he'll replace Raidou Kuzunoha like the PS2 version of Nocturne with Dante in it.

It's been confirmed that Devil May Cry's Dante will return as paid DLC for the game. He'll be part of the Maniax Pack valued at $10 US. If you choose to play with him, he'll replace Raidou Kuzunoha like the PS2 version of Nocturne with Dante in it.

I don’t like that. Paid DLC is no good.

Here’s almost 2 hours of gameplay from the HD remaster. Why some streamer is playing it, I don’t know.

Here’s almost 2 hours of gameplay from the HD remaster. Why some streamer is playing it, I don’t know.
It's near the Japan release date so I'm not surprised.

It's near the Japan release date so I'm not surprised.

Okay, that makes more sense then.

Nocturne HD just got rated by PEGI and the ESRB. It's coming very soon

This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of a student transformed into a half-demon in Tokyo. From a third-person perspective, players explore Tokyo, interact with demons, and engage in turn-based battles with enemy creatures. Players use melee attacks, magic spells, and demons’ abilities to kill enemies. Battles are sometimes frenetic, accompanied by screen-shaking effects, bursts of lights, and impact sounds. Some sequences depict additional acts of violence and blood: a bloodied man snapping a character’s neck; characters lying in corridors, stained with streaks of blood; a character wearing the skinned faces of his victims. The game contains some sexual material: topless female demons; a demonic creature with a phallic-shaped head and torso; demons with suggestive traits referenced in text (e.g., “Succubus”; “They visit women in their sleep and have sexual intercourse with them”; “Like their mother, they have sex with men at night”; “The victims won’t wake up during sex…”). The word “f**k” is heard in the game.

Reactions: Marc
Back