Should all games let you pet animals?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I think this is starting to become a trend ever since someone made a complaint about how you can pet animals in one game but couldn't in another. So here I am wondering how many people even care about these types of things.

Should all video games let the player pet animals? Is it that important to you?

its good if you can, but i dont think people care too much. they'll pet em like twice and then forget about it

i dont mind having that feature but i dont really care,

No. It's not a big deal. Only games for kids or simulation games should serve that purpose. Similar actions from RPGs like shining equipment may be okay depending on how it's implemented but pets nah they don't matter unless they are a part of the story.

Petting animals is good. However, if it takes away from the heart of the game or is being tacked on because they devs feel like they'll get backlash if they don't include it, i think it shouldn't be bothered with.

Not every game needs pettable creatures, yes?

I'm worry more about being able to hurt some animals, like dogs.
Accidentally kicking D-Dog on Metal Gear Solid V made me feel dead inside.

Reactions: 28142
Oninaki has a scene at one point where you are given the choice to kill a dog. Other than that, I don't really care, it's not important to me. I'm here to commit war crimes against my enemies. Petting is of no concern to me, it's completely irrelevant. Games like Rune Factory? Maybe, because those are simpler and more innocent, but most of my games are 90% combat so it's the least of my concerns in most cases.

Even in games like Rune Factory, I barely pay attention to it, as I'm only interested in - as I said - the more gameplay-focused mechanics. Is petting that cat going to give me a health boost? No? Then it doesn't matter, I have more important goals to be focusing on.

Yes! Why not! As long as they are docile animals. It's a fun thing to show affection to your in game pets.

Back