Should dynamaxing be banned from online battles?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Okay, I'm starting to believe dynamaxing is really broken after playing Pokemon Sword/Shield some more. I thought it was just boosted moves for three turns but it turns out there's a lot more to it.

- It breaks the choice item lock.
- It summons weather effects to give the user the advantage.
- To add on to the above, certain moves have certain additional effects. Like +1 ATK etc.
- It breaks protect.
- It increases HP. Moves that would normally OHKO a Pokemon wouldn't OHKO it.
- Moves are boosted for three turns.

There could be more to that list.

I was fine with moves being boosted and maybe some of the additional effects (not all), but breaking the choice lock is a serious issue and the fact that moves hit through protect makes it harder to come up with a strategy to try to get around it.

Do you guys think that dynamaxing/gigantamax Pokemon should be allowed for online battles like events/tournaments?

If both players have the same option then imo I think it's balanced enough. Breaking Protect is sort of like Z-Moves in Gen 7 where it doesn't do full damage. I also think Choice items are that great anyways. +1 to stats varies depending on the move unless stacked it's not great.

But HP doubling is busted. Especially since we got Shuckle and Wailord and other bulky mons like Hippowdon. Anything bulky really takes advantage. Only good at full health though and if your any lower than that it's possible to get KOs anyways because it doesn't restore health. Also keep in mind it gets lower when finished.

There's also terrain elements too.

Protect is sort of like Z-Moves in Gen 7 where it doesn't do full damage
It lowers the Pokemon to 1 HP where weather effects and/or hazards make it useless. Plus it's three shots in a row. No time to cast a wish and protect to heal up or anything like that.
But HP doubling is busted.
It's more troublesome with sweepers. They survive when they should have normally died. Not to mention the fact that the sweepers get boosted attacks with their already powerful attacks.

It's like a 50:50. The person who uses it first properly decides the game.

I just looked up some effects of Dynamax and Gigantamax and here's what I think.
Dynamax forces the mon to attack (or Max Guard which is completely almost a waste of a turn).
There are still ability's from these max moves that can easily be counter teamed. Thunder after rain, anything with Clear Body/Contrary, Mist/Haze.
You cannot summon weather and also get a stat boost.
but
You can combo various typed attacks (if status moves can change into attacks oh boy).

And it also helps hinders abilities depending on what's used. It just makes abilities as a key strategy point.

So now we have a lot more Pokemon in the game thanks to Poke Home and that transfer app.

@Artisan @Emergency Lunch @ChewyPucc @Vii

What do you think about this now?
In Sword/Shield before or after the DLC to allow more Pokemon in? Because as of now I think only certain Pokemon are allowed like the Alolan starters and Fighting Quartet.

So now we have a lot more Pokemon in the game thanks to Poke Home and that transfer app.

@Artisan @Emergency Lunch @ChewyPucc @Vii

What do you think about this now?

Still nothing really changed from what I seen. I don't really mess around in Showdown like I used too so I wouldn't know how the meta is. But in the group I'm in we usually don't dynamax unless we both agree upon it. When we do our mini tournaments we have it set to doubles so we can dynamax cause it's not as broken in singles. Then again, in multi battles we like it without dynamaxing cause we found it more fun that way.

Personally I think certain mons are r way too strong but it's just easier and fair to just banned it all together. From my experience in Vs. Mode, the person who set up first usually wins the match.

In my opinion, no matter what game you play, there is always going to be an exploit that people use. Even if you try to remove them all, somebody will always find something. In the end, it's just easier to just allow both players to have the abilities. As long as you strategize accordingly, you will be able to avoid such events.

Just be smart and you can win.

I definitely wouldn't call it any type of an exploit, it's too limited despite it's unpredictability and it definitely isn't a cheat. The problem with dynamax is that it forces gimmicky responses to otherwise normal play, as there are only so many possible ways to respond to it, and its diversity makes it unpredictable, like Z Moves, where you can't necessarily plan for it... It's a mechanic that probably got banned before we could see it flourish, but it's probably for the best, the tier is just too small.

Reactions: Jisenku
What I should have said is an advantage or something like that. There is always going to be something that someone can do to turn the tables. Depending on who you play against, you could have a backup plan just in case a Z-Move pops up, or a Dynamax

It's not an advantage if everything and everyone can do it, or counter it. It's gimmicky, the problem is the tier is too small. This gen, there's a lot of mon that don't have good counters and can do whatever they want, but even then, anyone can stall out dynamax with dynamax.

... anyone can stall out dynamax with dynamax.
Does Substitute work to stall it out? It might work with mons like Whimsicott. Super useful mon.

Does Substitute work to stall it out? It might work with mons like Whimsicott. Super useful mon.

U won't take damage but the dynamax mon still gain the boosts from dmax attacks.

Back