Should modern games have a silent protagonist?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
There are still games being made with silent protagonists. They don't talk. Either it be in the dialogue or voice acting. I've also seen some people complaining about this. So I want to know where you guys/gals stand on this topic.

Should modern games have silent protagonists? Please give a reason for your answer.

I think it depends on the type of game, a narrative focused game surely benefits from well written protagonist, while a game that is focused on immersion/role playing is better with a mute, possibly customizable character. That said, a silent character is far more better then a poor written one. Like, give me the Demifiend 1000 times over laughing Tidus.

Depends. Silent protagonists can be written into a narrative-heavy story. Aphonia, muteness, aphasia, even just non-verbal autism can all create a unique silent protagonist. But for a game that isn't as narrative-heavy, a silent protag doesn't nessicerily need a reason.

Depends on the game if im being honest. The game where i noticed the most was Destiny 2, your character never talk in the entirety of the base game. the game is still heavily dialogue focused which allowed an in depth story but at times i feel like your guardian talking would improve and strengthen the story line. When the DLC forsaken released your guardian talks a believe about 2 times which for sure gave the story more death and exited a lot of people a lot to hear what the heck the character you have spent thousands of hours on talks like. I think if a main protagonist talks to much it looses value and doesnt add anything to the game, but i don't think that the protagonist should be totally silent.

It really doesn't matter to me. Maybe there's some element of being a silent protagonist in a game to be an example that you can try to be that way in real life. If interaction is what is more important between characters in the game then giving the main character a goal and a personality to fit might work. Preferably if the player wants something entirely different then multiple paths may be better. I think there are ways interaction is better between the outgoing protagonist and friends/well written NPCs but then it's a lot of extra work to add voices that fit and a story that makes sense.
In a game like Pokémon the interaction is more with what you see everywhere (more Pokemon) then the interaction is more of the looks and cry of the Pokémon and not really with the protagonist who does everything.

I really don't think this question should be yes or no but one or the other depending on the genre. It's like saying, does Tetris need a silent protagonist?

If a character is made to represent the player, such as the protagonist from God Eater 3, I believe they should always be silent. The Fire Emblem series never had this until Byleth in Three Houses, I feel Robin and Corrin really suffered for it.

If not, if they're a typical character like Geralt from The Witcher, I'd prefer them not to be silent.

Back