Should Nintendo Be Bothered About Piracy?

• Thread starter Adam3044
  • Start date
A

Adam3044

I'm Not A Pikachu
Towns Folk
The title says it all...do you think Nintendo should be bothered with fighting pirates? Do you think the constant updates are pointless? Just wondering whatcha have to say. ;)

Well, as of now, there doesn't seem to be too much piracy going on with the 3DS and Wii U but if it were just that, they wouldn't have to be worried. I mean Sky and Gateway cards on the 3DS aren't as popular as similar cards on the DS, and so far homebrew is just that, homebrew, meaning so far only a few people can play backups or such on Ninjhax/Ironhax/Tubehax.
However, I believe they should still worry, this due to the very limited success of Wii U. They already lost alot of money on this, and as such I don't think they'd want to lose more on piracy.

Well, as of now, there doesn't seem to be too much piracy going on with the 3DS and Wii U but if it were just that, they wouldn't have to be worried. I mean Sky and Gateway cards on the 3DS aren't as popular as similar cards on the DS, and so far homebrew is just that, homebrew, meaning so far only a few people can play backups or such on Ninjhax/Ironhax/Tubehax.
However, I believe they should still worry, this due to the very limited success of Wii U. They already lost alot of money on this, and as such I don't think they'd want to lose more on piracy.

For now, they shouldn't be worried about the WiiU when it comes to piracy, the only possible exploit hackers found was by using the Web browser (Seriously, Nintendo has a problem when it comes to securing their Internet Browser), and only allow homebrews (very limited). And, it's not even a kernel exploit and it's unstable.

As for the 3DS, just as you pointed out, there's already two flashcards available, and luckily enough, one is blocked by FW updates, and some games (apparently) like AC Happy Home Designer won't work on the second (Exploiting specific system calls to detect if it's a legit copy is a nice move).

For Ninjhax, it only applies to those who have an older version, and who also have a specific system version. Ninjhax 2 (IHax/THax) doesn't allow piracy, because it cannot access the AM service used to install games (smart move on Smealum's part), and it's likely to never enable access to it anyway (AM requires Kernel Access).

Finally, to conclude, I'd also like to point out the fact that there are two types of people pirating games: there are those who pirate them to "test" them (and eventually, if they like it, they buy it.), and those who pirate games just because *insert reason here*.

But, as many people on gaming boards noticed, it doesn't really hurt sales (unless if said person was about to buy it and decide not to be honest), since, most of the time, pirated games weren't going to be bought by the pirate.

Reactions: Artisan
Pirating games is like getting the biggest demo ever illegally. You are still promoting the game through the experience you have with it however discreet however it still isn't morally right. Hacking is near almost impossible and I think Nintendo is doing the right thing at this moment and if the hacker doesn't want to update their system that's still up to them but Nintendo is already doing the job for free while the hackers have to put in the effort and thought into trying to put their own spin on the systems design purposes (that's the impression I get anyway). Nintendo is just trying to get extra bucks on their system (New 3DS) but because it's old now and not actually the most secure I would have to agree with what is said above because if I was wrong then that would make the 3DS technically more expensive to make and sell.

It depends on the game that's being pirated. If it's an old game that doesn't sell in retail anymore, then it's not that big of a deal. But if it's a new game like (Sorry @Mikaya >.>) Splatoon being pirated, then yeah. They should be worried. Because that's their money that's being lost. I'd rather just pay for the game and support a sequel than put Nintendo out.

While fighting pirates is a very tough battle, and one that has plagued the gaming industry for years now, that is no reason to give up and just let them have their way. While it may seem good to the consumer in the short run, piracy damages the gaming economy as a whole. As such, it should be dealt with and punished quite severely.

Piracy is a concern for every game company. They lose money from it. Even with all the arguments for piracy I've seen, I firmly believe it is primarily a means of the targeted to lose money from, much like how stealing a book from a store will leave no money ending up in the author's pockets. Or the publisher, if you want to be pedantic.

Of course they should fight piracy. No matter if you support it, Nintendo is a game company, they need money to make games and they make games for money, turning a profit in the long run. Unless they really wanted to destroy themselves, is is in their best interest to protect their games from being illegally downloaded. So I believe they will continue to fight piracy for as long as it benefits them - i.e., forever.

Back