Should Nintendo have cross platform play games?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
The Pokemon Company is already doing it with Pokemon Unite between the Nintendo Switch and smart devices.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has no plans to do such a thing with their titles:
After advance discussions with The Pokémon Company about Pokémon UNITE, it was decided that given the genre of the game and the anticipated player population, a cross platform format was appropriate. That said, we have no plans for cross-platform play for Nintendo titles.
Do you think Nintendo should start making multiplayer games with cross platform support? Would you want them to expand the cross platform support to PlayStation, Xbox and PC? There's a low chance of the latter happening though :unsure:

Reactions: Jisenku
The Pokemon Company is already doing it with Pokemon Unite between the Nintendo Switch and smart devices.

Do you think Nintendo should start making multiplayer games with cross platform support? Would you want them to expand the cross platform support to PlayStation, Xbox and PC? There's a low chance of the latter happening though :unsure:
Nintendo games are already on smart devices. Anything other than PC makes no sense, knowing Nintendo they would agree. If they want to join the pack then buy a console. Putting VC on phones would help too. I really don't care and it depends on the game anyways.

Exclusive games while not the best for the consumer, do create competition. Competition is pretty good, means that they need to make better exclusives then other consoles so people buy their console instead.

Nintendo however has managed to make their platform on the console itself rather than the exclusives, so it's caused a visable dip in quality. If they where to port anywhere, it'd be to PC. Mobile doesn't count either since well..... mario run and that mario kart game aren't really... "games" more just money makers.

Putting VC on phones would help too.

VC is already on phones? It just sucks because.. it's mobile and terrible quality and needed to be native on the console if they really cared about it.

As long as the system is able to run the games and control properly so that nobody has an unfair advantage, cross-play should be allowed, and I don't like it when companies decide against it, unless if there is a specific reason why such as compatibility issues or whatnot, which in this case would be non-existent as the Nintendo Switch is a powerful system, and mobile devices can be easily optimized for gameplay.

VC is already on phones? It just sucks because.. it's mobile and terrible quality and needed to be native on the console if they really cared about it.
Besides that, the device would have to be much more powerful than the original device that you are emulating, and it would probably be really crappy just like Sky said

Besides that, the device would have to be much more powerful than the original device that you are emulating, and it would probably be really crappy just like Sky said

:facepalm: I thought he was on about VC as in voice chat no virtual console.

Yes, emulation needs a strong phone, most games are also hell with touch screen controls and very few percent of people actually have a mobile controller.

:facepalm: I thought he was on about VC as in voice chat no virtual console.

Yes, emulation needs a strong phone, most games are also hell with touch screen controls and very few percent of people actually have a mobile controller.
NSO app has the voice chat function, but he might be talking about that...

ye, my original responce was about the NSO app's VC

Nah Virtual Console. You can play on phone with emulators but if you could buy legally to play it and had multiplayer with crossplay and voice chat that would be nice. Not sure what games would support both though.

ye, my original responce was about the NSO app's VC
Yeah, my point technically still stands, because if your phone isn't powerful enough, or doesn't have a good enough mic, Voice chat is worthless. I don't think that it would be hard to implement Voice Chat in a game, but I'm not a developer.

Nah Virtual Console. You can play on phone with emulators but if you could buy legally to play it and had multiplayer with crossplay and voice chat that would be nice. Not sure what games would support both though.
NO WAY

That would require so much power from the phone, and so much work from Nintendo. Plus, it would make illegal emulation way easier, and possibly piracy

NO WAY

That would require so much power from the phone, and so much work from Nintendo. Plus, it would make illegal emulation way easier, and possibly piracy
Well Pokemon on DS had voice chat. Is DS stronger than a Phone? You could also add microtransactions and go the Japanese Pokemon Gen 2 route if you were really mean.

Nah. I don't see Nintendo making their games available on their competitors' platforms, especially since their consoles heavily rely on their 1st party exclusive games.

PC could happen, but that isn't very likely, since Nintendo would need to make a console-quality game, whose resources could be used to instead create a brand new game for the brand new Nintendo console.

Also, would they really release games like Mario Kart Tour on the Switch? Pretty sure this is just a Pokemon thing.

Well Pokemon on DS had voice chat. Is DS stronger than a Phone? You could also add microtransactions and go the Japanese Pokemon Gen 2 route if you were really mean.
I thought you meant direct emulation. Porting games would be too much work

I'm ok with nintendo creating cross platform games as long as they're free. Microtransactions are ok. But if it's a paid game, I'd like it to not have cross platform so that it's a switch exclusive. Like pokemon unite, i'm all for that because it's free and stuff but on the other hand, I wouldnt want a game like smash bros ultimate to go onto other platforms because it makes the switch seem less special.

well........Fortnite is crossplay, Warface is going to be crossplay soon........and there are other crossplay games already. if ur talking bout Nintendo games, like Mario, idk wat the point would be since its only on Nintendo systems. ig it would be fun to play with someone from the wii, maybe like Just Dance XD thats like the only new game on Wii tho lol

Honestly its a cool idea, but it makes sense that they would never do it.
The main reason I buy the Nintendo consoles are to play the exclusive Nintendo games.
Exclusive games while not the best for the consumer, do create competition.
^ If Nintendo didn't have exclusive games I most likely would have bought another console
in the past, and same goes for many other people. Its a trade they have to make, game sales and console sales

Reactions: phofufury
Back